Star Control IP - Complaints Filed

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
Fred and Paul of Star Control fame have explained the latest development in the legal dispute with Stardock.

Stardock filed a complaint in Federal court against us, personally, alleging among other things that we are not actually the creators of Star Control. This is news to us! Are we clones of the original Fred and Paul, just now learning of our squelchy vat birth? Unfortunately, Stardock’s complaint is not a prank – so, today we took action and filed a response in Federal court answering Stardock's false claims. Of course, we've also filed counterclaims against Stardock, as the original Fred and Paul would have wanted. Read the background here.
More information.

Come, now, children, there's enough room in space for more than one Star Control remake! May the best remake win!

For those interested there's a heap more info here
https://www.starcontrol.com/article/487690/qa-regarding-star-control-and-paul-and-fred

Also, for what its worth,

https://forums.stardock.net/486284/page/5/#replies said:
February 23, 2018 8:10:31 PM from Stardock Games ForumsStardock Games Forums

I'm Greg Johnson. I was there through the entire development of StarControl 1 and 2. I don't want to comment on ownership or trademarks. I've been a game developer for 34 years and questions of ownership and legalities of rights are not always clear, or for that matter fair. Disputes like this are really best settled in friendly ways where everyone can win, since legal battles just suck money and time and create stress and bad feelings. Life is too short for that. What I can and will say is that Paul and Fred created both of those games. It was really the two of them, and others like me and Erol and whomever just contracted and did bits and pieces under Paul's direction. This Universe, Story, Characters and Gameplay all come from the amazing mind of Paul. It's pointless for people on a board to guess what's really going on behind the scenes or to judge who is right or wrong. I wish Paul and Fred and Brad and Stardock a friendly and mutually beneficial, mutually respectful resolution to this. And I'm sorry it's been so stressful for all of you. It's easy to get dug in. Good luck in finding a solution. And to all the fans - best to just hang in there and wait. And don't judge people harshly when you don't really know what's up. Lets all cross our fingers that they will find answers.

It's no Starflight, but I'm really looking forward to Stardocks version. :)

Back
Top Bottom