Pillars of Eternity II - Beast of Winter August 2nd

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
Pillars of Eternity II is getting a new DLC called Beast of Winter, which has been previewed by PCGamesN. The DLC will release August 2nd.

Beast of Winter, the first of three planned paid DLC packs for Deadfire, flips the formula once again. The idyllic, Polynesian white sand and blue seas have been covered by snow and ice. A new vein of dark comedy has opened up in the writing. And you, the heroic Watcher, are being celebrated once again - but this time by some pretty unpalatable types.

“One of the real rewarding things about working on DLC is that the groundwork is done,” Beast of Winter narrative designer Alex Scokel tells us. “We don’t have to worry about making sure that every weapon has an animation associated with it - we can just make new stuff.

[...]
More information.

Always winter settings.. I would like to see something along the lines of Dark Sun (1) from the golden era.

I could do with some Spelljammer or Ravenloft right about now ;)

I sort of agree because of White March, but I'm interested in exploring more about Pale Elf society. Some of the content is supposed to take place in The Beyond too.

So sick and tired of snow and ice settings, horned helmets, Ragnarok-crap, etc.

Skyrim sold 74 billion copies, so that's what's going to be the go-to setting for the next decade or so. Horizon: Zero Dawn had amazing tropical forests, American Southwest deserts and more. But the expansion? All crappy, foggy, snow and ice.

The setting is Antarctic, which distinguishes it from your average icy setting. The village is set below an Iceberg, inhabited by Pale Elves and Rymrgand cultists.

While it's true that we had a winter setting with White March I think it's ok to do it again as the rest of the game is kind of a hot carribean setting. So I think it'll be a nice change.

My point was not so much that i hate the winter settings, but that i would really love to see a new dark sun game with the current engines (pillars/pathfinder). :)

Junvik Village gives off a Dark Sun vibe

PE2_Junvik_Imae.png

I'm starting to think the people working on POE have a snow fetish. Weren't the 2 DLC for the first POE games set in a snowy area?

I would love to see a lot of the old AD&D stuff revisited in new games. Dark Sun, Spell Jammer, etc. There was so much more imagination in those worlds over the later uber generic stuff.

I could do with some Spelljammer or Ravenloft right about now ;)
Well cant say anything for Spelljammer but a bunch modules have been released for Ravenloft on NeverWinter Nights 1 & NeverWinter Nights 2 over the years.

Maybe we'll get POE III: Watcher in SPAAAAAACE!, and we'll get a spelljammer ship and battle illithids er I mean vithracks.

Why rehash old D&D settings that were never that popular anyway? I'd rather see them develop their own, original cultures and settings, free of boat-anchor licensing requirements.

Meanwhile, I'm waiting the release of the "Ultimate Edition" (or whatever it is called) with all DLCs, so I can buy it

Meanwhile, I'm waiting the release of the "Ultimate Edition" (or whatever it is called) with all DLCs, so I can buy it
Yes I to always wait for the Ultimate/Enhanced/Director Cut version.:nod:

Why rehash old D&D settings that were never that popular anyway? I'd rather see them develop their own, original cultures and settings, free of boat-anchor licensing requirements.

Me to but where can they go with Pillars of Eternity 3? So far the setting feels done and sales are not that great. I'll put my hopes on their next publisher backed product.
Take-Two has announced a new publishing label called Private Division focused on partnering with independent teams.

One of these teams is Obsidian Entertainment, which means the big new RPG in development there, the game occupying most of the studio when we visited in August, is this Private Division game. Apparently Fallout co-creators Tim Cain and Leonard Boyarsky are leading development of the project.

Obsidian Edition w/ all DLC has been available since before launch. I have yet to play the game, but purchased it for $56 off Greenmangaming to support Obsidian so they stay alive long enough to release Project Indiana.

Back
Top Bottom