Chaos Reborn - New Mode Reduces Randomisation

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
A new 'law mode' has been added to Chaos Reborn that reduces randomisation. If you still want the traditional gameplay it is still there and called 'chaos mode'. RockPaperShotgun outlines the changes.

In the traditional version of the game, spells and attacks have a probability of success, so every move is a gamble, with the odds known in advance. In Law mode, those probabilities are replaced, with mana costs, hit points and predictable outcomes taking their place. The actual deck of spells you take into combat will still be randomised, though with some rigging of the numbers permitted through use of gear that bumps up the likelihood of certain spells being selected.

I've long thought that the perfect tactical game wouldn't use any random number generation at all (hi, Chess) but I enjoy variety enough to see the benefits of the occasional dice roll. Truth be told, I like the tension that a percentage chance to hit or survive provides in certain circumstances. A game that can support the roll of the dice and predictable outcomes, from one mode to another, could offer the best of both worlds, so I'm pleased to see Chaos Reborn attempting just that.

The reasoning behind the mode is best explained by Gollop himself:

"The new mode is entirely optional, but we added it for the benefit of those who prefer less random elements in their game play. It also adds an interesting alternative game style for our existing players. It is also an interesting experiment in comparative game design. By changing just a few rules a whole new game experience is possible."

And this isn't the end of Chaos:

"...we have released eight updates of the game since launch, including the recent addition of a flexible custom multiplayer games lobby that allows co-op and AI players. We always listen to feedback from players both old and new, and will continue to support the game on a regular basis. There is more Chaos to come."
More information.

Nice how RPS follows games for years after (and before) release, letting us know every detail of their development, but have no interest in covering indie Kickstarters… unless they've got a AAA name attached to them.
There are too many Kickstarters for them to cover them all. Of course 95% of indie games depend on KS to get funding, and to get funded you need exposure, and the only place to get exposure is from game sites.

Nice how RPS follows games for years after (and before) release, letting us know every detail of their development, but have no interest in covering indie Kickstarters… unless they've got a AAA name attached to them.
There are too many Kickstarters for them to cover them all. Of course 95% of indie games depend on KS to get funding, and to get funded you need exposure, and the only place to get exposure is from game sites.

I miss the Kickstarter Ketchup or whatever it was called that they used to have. Like you said, they can't cover all of them but they could do a quick roundup or cover ones they find especially interesting. They did an article on Copper Dreams mere hours before the Kickstarter was over (and already funded), so it seems they may just be reluctant to cover Kickstarters they might not reach their goal... which sucks for struggling indie developers.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom