Drakensang How to increase the running speed on XP

VPeric

Sentinel
After a few hours, I must say the game reminds me most of: Hard to be a God. Of course, Drakensang is a much better game, but the (mostly) linear quest design and the camera work remind me a lot of HtbG. Might be all the bloom, though.

Still, my biggest gripe is that my characters move so slow. Seriously, it's a pain to run around the map. Honestly, if there was a skill that'd let my characters move faster, I'd pour all my points into it (if anyone played Anarchy Online, the first skill I upgraded there was always running speed, even if the only combat related use it has is.. for running away). Still, just another thing reminding me of HtbG (which had horses, on the other hand).

Still, my biggest gripe is that my characters move so slow. Seriously, it's a pain to run around the map.

The speed setting is stored in an SQL database and a simple SQL call should be enough to fix it. IIRC Gorath posted about this way back.

Correct. At least on XP it's a simple SQL command. Just some copy & paste. It worked on the first try.

How to increase running speed:

Only on XP and maybe on other OSes supported by the editor. Not Vista!

1. Download and install SQLite Database Browser.
2. Make a new savegame. It will become the one with the highest number in the Drakensang savegame folder.
3. Make two copies of that savegame. One for backup, one for changes.
4. Load the savegame.dsa file in SQLite Browser.
5. On page 3 enter the following command:
update _INSTANCE_PC set RunSpeed=5.0, CurrentSpeed=5.0, MaxVelocity=5.0;
6. Press "Execute query".
7. Save
8. Copy the modified savegame into your savegame folder.

I fyou feel the animations are out of synch change the numbers a little.

That's the simple version. Only the party's running speed is affected. More complex changes are also possible.

Hey, this is fantastic! Thanks so much, Gorath! I tried this with 5, but they hardly seemed to go much faster, so I set it at 6, and now my people are trotting around at a very pleasing pace.
I can't help wondering why the devs set it at such a frustratingly slow pace.

Just a tip for other who try this: when re-entering you game, do not use the "contine" function, it will not be the gamesave you changed. Go to "load game" and look for two of the same gamesaves (if you made an extra copy) and choose the latest one.

You can also set it to half values, for example 5.5. Max is 6 I guess.

can this be considered a cheat? I mean, if you can run faster than mobs then you could just run around without them catching you, or does this affect mobs speed too?

Well, the groups I've fought since I increased the speed, have definitely been able to keep up, so I'm personally not considering a cheat (so far)... but it is something to keep in mind - I'll pay careful attention and let you know. I don't know if the game experts have some definite knowledge on whether it also increases your foes' speed. My guess is that it does?

EDIT:
Ok, I see Gorath said it's only the party's running speed. To make it more fair, have you got a fix to make everyone faster, please Gorath?

Code:
update _INSTANCE_NPC set RunSpeed=5.0, CurrentSpeed=5.0, MaxVelocity=5.0;

That would be my guess. But be careful: while most NPCs have the same default run speed as player characters, some are different. In the SQLite Database Browser you can check by clicking on the "Browse Data" tab and scroll a bit to the right to the "RunSpeed" column.

What you could do is look remember those that are different from the default 3.4 and change them to a different value later.

Or, you could just accept it that you might change the game's design. ;)

I've been thinking about this issue since Wolfing's remark, and tbh, I truly, honestly don't think it really makes that much difference in combat, WITH THE EXCEPTION of when you are are using melee units, and you are figting ranged combatants, for obvious reasons.

However, I personally tend to go ranged with all of my units for the most part: My elementalist shoots fire, my amazon uses bow and arrows, and my rogue uses throwing knives.

As for running away, I have found that even when a unit is set to defensive mode, once you are in combat mode, it's pretty hard to force your character to run away, as the AI seems to take over on your own units as well to some extent once in combat mode. You don't have complete control over your units the way you do when combat is real time like for instance in Gothic and Morrowind/Oblivion, etc.

Now, in Gothic, this would definitely be a cheat, especially when you are fighting those pesky goblins or bloodflies, for instance... :devilish:

In any case, I suppose I could experiment with Arhu's suggestion, because I really could not bear having my party travel around so slowly again... :fingerscrossed:

Ok, I see Gorath said it's only the party's running speed. To make it more fair, have you got a fix to make everyone faster, please Gorath?
No, sorry.

I've been thinking about this issue since Wolfing's remark, and tbh, I truly, honestly don't think it really makes that much difference in combat, WITH THE EXCEPTION of when you are are using melee units, and you are figting ranged combatants, for obvious reasons.
Is it really a cheat? Are the characters moving a longer distance than before in the same number of combat rounds?

Well, I vote that it's not a cheat, because the combat in Drakensang is not the same thing that it is with single party real time combat games.
The game switches into a different "mode" as soon as combat is entered into.

Well, I vote that it's not a cheat, because the combat in Drakensang is not the same thing that it is with single party real time combat games.
The game switches into a different "mode" as soon as combat is entered into.
I think it's not a 'big' cheat, but it's definitely a 'small' cheat. In several combats I tried to run away when I was thinking I was done for, but since enemies would pretty much be attacking my back for a while, I decided to stand ground instead of flee. If I could run faster, I would be able to escape most fights.

Where is there a setting to change the speed of harvesting/skinning? I'd like to speed this up but can't find the setting in the tables anywhere. The mixture of german and english isn't helping! :)

I think it's not a 'big' cheat, but it's definitely a 'small' cheat. In several combats I tried to run away when I was thinking I was done for, but since enemies would pretty much be attacking my back for a while, I decided to stand ground instead of flee. If I could run faster, I would be able to escape most fights.

I didn't even realise one could run away, because when I tried to, even with my characters set on "defensive" mode, they would run away for a bit, but then turn right around and run back at the enemy again. This is what I meant when I said it seems as if the AI takes over to some extent in combat mode.

I didn't even realise one could run away, because when I tried to, even with my characters set on "defensive" mode, they would run away for a bit, but then turn right around and run back at the enemy again. This is what I meant when I said it seems as if the AI takes over to some extent in combat mode.

well you have full control of the leader regardless what they other dudes do. Let them die, they'll pop up next to you if you manage to outrun the enemy

even with my characters set on "defensive" mode, they would run away for a bit, but then turn right around and run back at the enemy again.
You can select your entire party and run away as a whole (with keys; run forward, not point and click).

Where is there a setting to change the speed of harvesting/skinning? I'd like to speed this up but can't find the setting in the tables anywhere. The mixture of german and english isn't helping! :)
That's called Denglisch. ;)

That's called Denglisch. ;)

Heh, I have some Greek friends who have told me all about Greeklish as well.
Apparently that's mostly when you write in Greek, but with the Roman alphabet.

When I first heard of Greeklish it sounded to me like something you'd buy at the delicatessen. :lol:

Anyway, thanks for giving tips on how to be my usual cowardly self. I tend to save my sorry ass often in games by running away so I can go and lick my wounds in peace somewhere quiet.

Glad to hear I can do it in Drakensang as well when here I thought I've got to be brave for a change.. :biggrin:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom