Last game you finished, tell us about it

Elex. Loved the exploration, as always in PB games. Hated the factions. Wish there was a no faction path.

Walking Dead: Final Season. One of the best Tell Tale games, if not THE best. It's the best looking thanks to the new engine, c&c has more effect then ever, writing and acting is top notch. I had one crash (a first for me in a TT game) but I was able to resume at exaactly the point I crashed. My only beef is with a situation where a bitten character could be saved by amputation, but uses an axe for a crutch instead!:wall:

Aye Philistine, I also wish you could simply fully play the game and not have to side with any particular faction in Elex, but I guess that's just the way the game was built. I know that's stopped me from replaying it up to this point, but I also know that, at some point, I will replay the game simply because it was spectacular!!!

Elex. Loved the exploration, as always in PB games. Hated the factions. Wish there was a no faction path.

…...:

Yup. There was one neutral option faction that had some quests attached to what they were all about but they were not really attached to the main quest line. I kinda lost interest almost immediiatly after I picked a faction. And that is with almost 200 hours in!!!!!

Why can't anybody do factions like Gothic 2?

Anno 1404 (2009) (Gold Edition 2010).

I tried out the first Anno, 1602 (1998), a year or two back and found it to be very addictive and enjoyable. It's a city building game with the added complexity of economic management and trade and then on top of that has a layer of strategic combat. The combat was the least enjoyable part, the trading wasn't overly interesting but the city building and economic management aspects were the main draw and they didn't disappoint. I spent about 200 hours'ish playing around in campaigns, scenarios, free-build maps.

So I tried Anno 1404 because many people said it was the best one of the 2000s sequels.

And if it's your first Anno game then it probably would be. Or if you're just a dedicated fan of the series I guess I can see how it would be as well. However, for me it kind of put me off playing any more games from the series even though I had, again, got another 200'ish hours of entertainment.

If you thought Jeff Vogel games are often the same game repeated or if you think Bethesda games are the same game repeated then I'd love to know what you'd make of this series, because these games really do seem to be the epitome of "if you've played one then you've played them all".

Anno 1404 is the fourth game of the series and is a decade on from the original and yet nothing much has changed in its world of building and economic management. You still settle various small islands on a small map, each with different produce to farm on it, then ship all your produced goods back to your main island where you gradually promote peasant houses into posh mansions, with various buildings and upgrades locked behind house progression. You can then sell off your excess surplus goods to passing trading ships.

So what had changed after 10 years and four games? Well, first up was Ubisoft's logo in the title screens. Possibly uh-oh? Hmm, let's see.

And yes, pretty much all the 'new' stuff is time wasting skinner box type stuff. You can now perform 'quests' while you build your town, which, after doing this for about 20 hours in a game, you quickly realise is the same quests being cycled over and over again ad-infinitum, most of which involve you sailing very slowly to the corner of the map and back again. Or fetch quests for another player. To which the rewards are small and usually pointless.

One of the rewards is usually Honour, another new feature. The game has lots of different ways you can earn 'honour', aka game-bucks, which are used to unlock 'perks', most of which are either opening blockers to natural progression, stuff that only effects the military aspect of the game, and your classic 5% to 15% marginal improvement to XYZ stat nonsense. I found a grand total of 2 of the 22 perk trees to have any real impact on my games.

But, of course, the first time you play the game you cannot see what the perks are until you unlock them and then you can't know how effective they'll be until you use them all. Hey, wow, you've played 100 hours already! You must really love this game!

In terms of the building aspect of the game though… if anything I'd argue it's regressed since 1602. The buildings are bland by comparison, even with pointlessly aggressive graphic requirements. in 1602 each building looked significantly different enough so that you take a lot of aesthetic pleasure in upgrading all your people's houses. In 1404 you just see a mess of indistinct browns (or whites for the desert islands) and it is sooo uninspiring.

1602:

latest

1404:

maxresdefault.jpg

And then 1404 even applies a skinner box to the final big building, a cathedral, which initially you think you can build when you have 1500 or so top posh resident housing, but when you go to build it, it then just gives you a building site. You have to gradually upgrade the thing every time you've settled another 1000 top posh resident housing capacity. Because why bother thinking of new buildings to look nice when you can just have the player constantly upgrade just one building.

And throughout the game the number of non-residential properties seems to have declined rather than evolved over the four games. Or just stayed the same, it's difficult to quantify it as all of 1404's non-population housing is so bland and indistinct you can't tell them apart from population housing anyway.

If 1602 was a basic builder game with added economic management then 1404 is therefore still a basic builder game with added economic management, it just has more 'other things'. But I bought it because it was a builder game with added economic management…

The military aspect has improved a lot. I think if someone is the type of person who likes these games because they offer a version of 'paint the map your colour', then 1404 would be an improvement of 1602, though I couldn't tell you why or how much because I quickly removed this aspect of the game in both as I didn't enjoy the combat in either.

At least 1404 has kept the series' ethos of allowing as much customisation as possible. Thank heavens for small mercies.

I have lots more to say, but shan't bother if no-one else is familiar with the series as 'wall of text' issues already.

In both cases the game was extremely addicting for a couple of hundred hours and then all of a sudden the magic just vanished, because these games are very limited in depth, to which 1404 offered zero change in this department as well.

And once the magic has gone it's, like, I can't even open the game up any more. I've never played a series before where the brakes get applied so suddenly from such an addicted state. There's not even any tailing off. One minute one's thinking about eight islands delivering hundreds of goods to the main island in a sea of hundreds of plans and objectives, the very next time one logs on one doesn't even want to log on.

So how to score something like this? Well, after 1602 I still had very positive memories of the game, even though I stopped dead and probably wont go back for years, I felt I had made good use of my time exploring the game. With Anno 1404 I feel like I've been duped somewhat, though not always unenjoyably during the duping process… if that makes sense.

Not really angry about it, but kinda motivated to slag it off if it arises in conversation, though willing to give it due praise in the few areas where it deserves it kinda-thing. Maybe a 6/10?

Haha - I think my big Anno time-sink was in the ‘Anno 1701’ game for PC and then for Nintendo DS, and it was a load of fun. I did buy a couple of others (at least 2070, which had DRM issues preventing me playing and I never tried again), but have always wanted to go back again. Looks like maybe I should leave it to the nostalgia bin :)

Anno 1404 (2009) (Gold Edition 2010).

I tried out the first Anno, 1602 (1998), a year or two back and found it to be very addictive and enjoyable. It's a city building game with the added complexity of economic management and trade and then on top of that has a layer of strategic combat. The combat was the least enjoyable part, the trading wasn't overly interesting but the city building and economic management aspects were the main draw and they didn't disappoint. I spent about 200 hours'ish playing around in campaigns, scenarios, free-build maps.

So I tried Anno 1404 because many people said it was the best one of the 2000s sequels.

And if it's your first Anno game then it probably would be. Or if you're just a dedicated fan of the series I guess I can see how it would be as well. However, for me it kind of put me off playing any more games from the series even though I had, again, got another 200'ish hours of entertainment.

If you thought Jeff Vogel games are often the same game repeated or if you think Bethesda games are the same game repeated then I'd love to know what you'd make of this series, because these games really do seem to be the epitome of "if you've played one then you've played them all".

Anno 1404 is the fourth game of the series and is a decade on from the original and yet nothing much has changed in its world of building and economic management. You still settle various small islands on a small map, each with different produce to farm on it, then ship all your produced goods back to your main island where you gradually promote peasant houses into posh mansions, with various buildings and upgrades locked behind house progression. You can then sell off your excess surplus goods to passing trading ships.

So what had changed after 10 years and four games? Well, first up was Ubisoft's logo in the title screens. Possibly uh-oh? Hmm, let's see.

And yes, pretty much all the 'new' stuff is time wasting skinner box type stuff. You can now perform 'quests' while you build your town, which, after doing this for about 20 hours in a game, you quickly realise is the same quests being cycled over and over again ad-infinitum, most of which involve you sailing very slowly to the corner of the map and back again. Or fetch quests for another player. To which the rewards are small and usually pointless.

One of the rewards is usually Honour, another new feature. The game has lots of different ways you can earn 'honour', aka game-bucks, which are used to unlock 'perks', most of which are either opening blockers to natural progression, stuff that only effects the military aspect of the game, and your classic 5% to 15% marginal improvement to XYZ stat nonsense. I found a grand total of 2 of the 22 perk trees to have any real impact on my games.

But, of course, the first time you play the game you cannot see what the perks are until you unlock them and then you can't know how effective they'll be until you use them all. Hey, wow, you've played 100 hours already! You must really love this game!

In terms of the building aspect of the game though… if anything I'd argue it's regressed since 1602. The buildings are bland by comparison, even with pointlessly aggressive graphic requirements. in 1602 each building looked significantly different enough so that you take a lot of aesthetic pleasure in upgrading all your people's houses. In 1404 you just see a mess of indistinct browns (or whites for the desert islands) and it is sooo uninspiring.

1602:

latest

1404:

maxresdefault.jpg

And then 1404 even applies a skinner box to the final big building, a cathedral, which initially you think you can build when you have 1500 or so top posh resident housing, but when you go to build it, it then just gives you a building site. You have to gradually upgrade the thing every time you've settled another 1000 top posh resident housing capacity. Because why bother thinking of new buildings to look nice when you can just have the player constantly upgrade just one building.

And throughout the game the number of non-residential properties seems to have declined rather than evolved over the four games. Or just stayed the same, it's difficult to quantify it as all of 1404's non-population housing is so bland and indistinct you can't tell them apart from population housing anyway.

If 1602 was a basic builder game with added economic management then 1404 is therefore still a basic builder game with added economic management, it just has more 'other things'. But I bought it because it was a builder game with added economic management…

The military aspect has improved a lot. I think if someone is the type of person who likes these games because they offer a version of 'paint the map your colour', then 1404 would be an improvement of 1602, though I couldn't tell you why or how much because I quickly removed this aspect of the game in both as I didn't enjoy the combat in either.

At least 1404 has kept the series' ethos of allowing as much customisation as possible. Thank heavens for small mercies.

I have lots more to say, but shan't bother if no-one else is familiar with the series as 'wall of text' issues already.

In both cases the game was extremely addicting for a couple of hundred hours and then all of a sudden the magic just vanished, because these games are very limited in depth, to which 1404 offered zero change in this department as well.

And once the magic has gone it's, like, I can't even open the game up any more. I've never played a series before where the brakes get applied so suddenly from such an addicted state. There's not even any tailing off. One minute one's thinking about eight islands delivering hundreds of goods to the main island in a sea of hundreds of plans and objectives, the very next time one logs on one doesn't even want to log on.

So how to score something like this? Well, after 1602 I still had very positive memories of the game, even though I stopped dead and probably wont go back for years, I felt I had made good use of my time exploring the game. With Anno 1404 I feel like I've been duped somewhat, though not always unenjoyably during the duping process… if that makes sense.

Not really angry about it, but kinda motivated to slag it off if it arises in conversation, though willing to give it due praise in the few areas where it deserves it kinda-thing. Maybe a 6/10?

I have the original CD for 1602 still. I loved that game at the time although I didn't understand how combat worked at all, so didn't bother with it.

One of the best things about the game is the music. I actually still have the Youtube playlist saved for myself.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL710ABF6E1A2972F5
Anno 1602 OST + Extra Tracks

Google bugs:the game

Let's see:

Lack of variety in enemies type and battlefields (only five types of maps),

Skill trees semi-random that don't let you create and customize units at your leizure.

Still some bugs : having gear vanishing from your inventory forever is annoying in a game where resssources are scares.

No tech tree. All techs are obtained by dealing with factions. Researches are almost useless.

Loooooong ass loading times (even before cinematics).
Long to the point I had to force myself to launch the game and finish my playthrough.

Only ONE actual good "new" idea: the free aim system, and Valkyria Chronicles already did it years ago…
Pretty cool to play, though.

And the general balance.
Most fights are trivially easy if you have just a little experience with tactical games, but sometimes you stumble upon one enemy type that can bomb you from the other side of the map (while hiding in the fog of war), killing or maiming all your soldiers.
He doesn't need to see them to pinpoint giant explosions at them, every turns.
It's supposed to be a support unit, but one of them can eradicate your entire team in a few turns.
You can try to rush them once you think you know where they are, but then you get destroy by all the other "non support" foes on the map.
Not fair, not fun.

I really wanted this game to be good, I even became an damned Epic user just to play it day one…
I've reinstalled Jagged Alliance II 1.13 since , I needed to play an great game.

Sent from my old crappy PC using normaltalk

I was also disappointed with Phoenix Point. I'm only a casual player who tends to opt for easy / normal setting but even the story wasn't engaging me enough. I've just played through Phantom Doctrine and really liked it, if a little grindy towards the end. I'm going to try PD on a harder setting as I am intrigued by the customisation which I think only comes into it's own with a harder challenge. On easy it can be meaningless when I don't actually need the better weapons / assortment of skills in the team.

Just finished Blade Runner. Great adventure. Love GOG for making this possible!

Wolcen. Last act was pretty terrible - but, other than that, it's a solid ARPG with a meaty enough campaign.

Just finished Blade Runner. Great adventure. Love GOG for making this possible!
This game has an incredible amount of story branching, and as many endings.
A lot of seemingly insignifiant actions and choices change the plot dramatically (the Voight-Kampff tests are very important in that regard).

It's pretty fun to launch a new playthrough and just experiment.

Sorry for the spam, but I just like the imagery from the Blade Runner films…

…Oh, and Phoenix Point is decent, but it was released too early. Like the aiming mechanic, but really it's like an Early Access game on Steam.

Eschalon Book III (2014)

The final part of the trilogy completed on default settings using a Ranger build, about 35 hours going the completionist every nook and cranny route.

This is a very quick wrapping up of the series by Basilisk Games, although it doesn't feel that way for most of the game. Initially it seems to be more of the same with some added new mechanics and concepts, but by about 75% of the way through I started realising that I was running out of map areas and unless the game started dungeon delving I was probably already nearly done. Which it doesn't and I was.

When reading about the game upon completion, one of the main complaints about the game is that it just suddenly ends and that the ending itself is also a bit of a damp squib, and that matched my experience. If I hadn't been a slow dawdling completionist then it would have been very easy to just stumble on the quick end-game lock-in before I'd even completed a number of other areas, so I suspect many people will have finished this game in well under 30 hours.

The other complaint regarding the ending was also something I was already going to write about: the fact that the Ranger's 'super-bow' questline is pretty much the last location you visit in the game, as is the moment in the game when you finally have the spare cash to buy a couple of Super Duper equipment items, meaning that the only moment of itemisation excitement is delivered to the player for nothing more than the Big-Boss fight. To which the Big Boss fight doesn't even include a Big Boss, just three small hordes of minions.

*insert amusing out of tune and fading end to a trumpet fanfare sound effect*

This comes quite soon after having to google for the answer to plot-crucial near-impossible puzzle you have to solve to even get to the end-game zone of the game. I'm not even talking Lucas Arts Adventure Game obscure puzzling solutions here, I'm talking just flat out planet surreal. In fact, first comes the googling of the location of the missing quest item, then a second googling is required to solve the puzzle there-in presented.

And this is common for all these crucial quest items, they are situated in areas that are just random locations. And this is confused by the new mechanic of Secret Areas the game has created whereby there are loads of secret areas in the game which offer you XP gains and a bit of loot if you find them. These 'secret areas' are actually easier to find and more 'in your natural path anyway' than the actual quest areas, almost none of which are even guarded by NPCs, monsters, or any kind of normal mazial elaboration.

There's a couple of nice little dungeons, some traditional Eschalon overland exploration, a couple of small towns with basic shopkeeping, enough to keep you into the game and feel like you're playing a good Eschalon game, but it's for sure a climb backwards from the second game while at least feeling a bit more polished than the first game. Though that lack of polish in the first game did have it's specific charm and the loot felt more interesting, and it had more interesting areas, and… etc etc etc.

I also find myself agreeing with the general consensus that Book II is clearly the Magnum Opus of this series, with Books I and III having their own charms and not being devoid of entertainment, but just lacking by comparison to Book II.

Book I kinda has the excuse that it's the nervy and experimental first game whereas the third doesn't have that and also has the issue of greater expectation garnered from the popularity and scope of Book II, meaning that if, like me, and most other people, if you go through them all in order then the third game will inevitably give the weakest impression, even though, really, there's not all that much wrong with it from an argumentative PoV, it's just that it doesn't 'Do Things As Well' from practically every angle.

Giving it a 6/10 seems too harsh as it does have the comfort factor of playing some new Eschalon content, but 7/10 seems over generous for all the myriad of little issues it builds up. Giving it a 6.anything will just make people look at the 6 so I'll mark it as Slightly Lower Than A Seven/10.

Would make more sense if it was sold as a expansion to Book II and would probably be regarded higher if this was the case rather than charging full new whole game price.

Fallen Enchantress: Legendary Heroes. I was taking another go at Master of Magic, and the inverse of today's standard of left-click to select and right to move was preying on my mind. I caught myself trying to sit on my head at my computer desk.

Could I have easily made an AutoHotkey file and continued? Likely, but it's so similar to Fallen Enchantress, I broke that one out instead. Sure, the diplomacy AI is baffling, but it's a good game aside from that. Stardock's a little legendary in my book, if not speedy, in how it turned around the game's disastrous launch.

Ass Creed Origins

Was bored to death towards the end, skipped like 33% of the areas; this one is competing with AC3 for the most boring of the series. Seriously all quests are rescue some person from a cage from an enemy camp, while all investigations are lame cheap copy paste terrible witcher 3 immitations. What is worst, this game as a whole has nothing to do with Ass Creed; also 0 fucks given for all chars, no one memorable.

Only positive thing, the world; usually ubifail is the master of creating boring artificial soulless worlds, but somehow i liked this one. Also graphically, hands down, played through geforce now on max and looked great; i imagine with reshade would look drooling.

Wanted to play Odyssey too, but i suspect its the same boring shit since these 2 were made in parallel.

Back
Top Bottom