You know you've played too much Dark Souls when...

Pessimeister

Living Backwards
Original Sin 2 Donor
After becoming somewhat self-conscious of my time invested in Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin recently (216 hours and still counting in NG++ chasing the pyromancy achievement...) for amusement I decided to collate a comedic oriented thread on a classic theme.

You know you've played too much Dark Souls when:

1. Every important threshold in your life brings a crashing sound and gothic embossed lettering of the new location's name, resounds across your vision.

2. Opening the curtains to warm flickering light in the morning makes you murmur "Praise the Sun".

3. You give anxious evil stares to people dressed in red; cheerfully wave at those in full navy blue.

4. Whilst consuming a packet of "Twisties", one chews thoughtfully before thinking "I just ate part of the Xanthous set".

5. You start randomly dropping stones in anything resembling a birds nest.

6. You start writing cryptic advice for people in the middle of the street in orange chalk (waiting in anticipation for the person to write "liar" after you)

7. Anything resembling a fire pit brings tremendous exaltation and comfort whilst their extinction draws great tension.

8. Combat in any other third person cRPG simply feels inadequate by comparison...

9. You start doing circles around your boss in the office, looking for openings, strategic weaknesses, rolling backwards whenever they try to step near you...

10. You make sure to hit your chest or drawer before opening it for clothes in the morning...

Watchers and fellow fans, feel free to add your own or indeed share your own tales of crazy souls investment! Have fun and keep chugging the estus. :)

Woo, tough crowd! Can't believe no-one hasn't added one of their own yet. :)

I put my Scholar of the First Sin character to rest yesterday, after finally making it to Drangleic Castle in NG++. The final two fights with The Rotten and Old Iron King via the last trek through Iron Keep were decently challenging. This is most likely the last I'll play of the series until tackling Dark Souls III in December.

Edit:
Ugh, what's this then besmirching the thread, a couple of non-believers? Get thee hence! :D

Last edited:
Never played any of them…
I bought the first two as part of a cheap bundle and didn't enjoy them. I'm sure many love the combat, and how the story was told through lore & books, but I don't.

So I will never buy the third game, and can't make a redneck joke like Foxworthy.:lol:

Combat is ok, but unexceptional; a ton of issues with AI and aggro radius, UI, physics, poor complementary systems( consumables and bombs), weak archery and magic system, difficulty design and gameplay tempo, animations, no group combat dynamic, over reliance on i-frames, controls and input lag, parry and dodge mechanics, no gore and finishers, very limited combat environment interaction, cheap enemy move sets or placement, camera and lock on system, synchronization of animations and hits, sounds, etc, etc… It's mind boggling how some people praise it as top of it's class.
I did like creature and level design, in particular how interconnected it was, and made it feel very cohesive and giving a real sense of progression through the world…I've never played a game that does this so well.
Also weapon stat/scaling was superb…except of obvious trash gear, you can make any build you like.
I'd really like to see Witcher/Elder Scrolls do the same.

Uh...did you bother to read the title of the thread, Bobo? Or did you just decide to spew forth a mini-review in an inappropriate place? :p

Seriously people, if you're not going to post on topic, why bother? I don't think it's asking for too much as far as etiquette is concerned.

Sorry, I posted this in a separate thread but somehow it ended up here. I think I'm being set up here.

Well, I would add some, but yours already covered most of mine!

1. You explore a dungeon in another RPG feeling nervous that you might die, and realize you can just press save, and all excitement is gone.

2. You are short on resources and think hard about whatever to push further into the darkness of the dungeon or return with your loot in another RPG. Until you realize you can press save and do both.

3. You get close to a dangerous looking monster, but don't dare to hit it in case it might be an NPC!

Back
Top Bottom