HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Polygon has reviewed Greedfall:

GreedFall feels like a BioWare game that time forgot

Play like it's 2004

When I play GreedFall, it's impossible not to notice the little imperfections.

One NPC leans against a wall, her eyes permanently closed and gently clipping through the rest of her face. Speaking with a merchant and passing an important object back and forth becomes surreal when there's no actual object on screen, so it looks like we're engaging in a low-budget theater production or a particularly potent game of make-believe.

I also don't particularly care, because all of these little errors come with a heaping helping of quest design that seemed lost to time. This game has everything: dialogue trees with lots of branching options; old-school, Western RPG-style turn-based combat; flirting; and a long, complex narrative that doesn't always work, but keeps on trying anyway. It's a huge, sprawling, complicated mess, and that's not the worst thing for this sort of game to be in 2019.

[...]

The game feels like an older, slightly more scatterbrained Obsidian or BioWare title that I'm just discovering now, warts and all. The individual missions are well-designed and offer meaty moral choices, even if the scaffolding holding them up is a little wobbly. I feel like I'm back in my teens, curled up with a controller and a classic RPG, and I'm willing to forgive quite a lot of messiness in order to continue enjoying that pleasant sense of time travel.
More information.

I very much enjoyed Greedfall. I agree that it's very difficult not to notice the little imperfections at first, but over time the interesting story, enjoyable combat and stats, and pretty much everything else overshadowed the imperfections.

For me I would say that is a fair review and tend to agree even though I rate the game very highly personally. So much of it is so good it makes it easier to look past the imperfections. Of course I would love more polish and depth to areas but as the reviewer noted it was this cozy cool fun game easy to sink into and enjoy and I am so glad I got to play it.

I'm playing right now, post-patch, and have to say that apart from a "black level" issue (xbox) I'm not really noticing too many rough edges. It isn't a AAA game, but feels very much like a renaisance-era Mass Effect, with more of an emphasis on factions. Actually, peraps Dragon Age Inquisition may be a more accurate touchstone.

There are aspects which could be better explained, and fine tuned, and there may be the odd clipping issue (not like we haven't seen loads of that in AAA titles), but really, this is considerably superior to the last Spiders game I completed.

It has neither branching dialogue nor turn based combat, so I'm not sure what game the reviewer played and misremembered as Greedfall. But I have enjoyed Greedfall for the ~15 hours I've played so far.

Maybe turn-based combat means your characters have to turn alot in combat? And branching dialogue is something about talking to trees? ;)

The dialogue does branch slightly - depending on characters accompanying you, you will get different dialogue options which open up alternative quest solutions.

Also, I've seen several instances where choosing one dialogue option removes others, and gives different responses effects. For example talking to your companions after completing one of their quests. It's probably not as elaborate as other games, but it is there.

As for "turn based", I agree it is a stretch, but the game has an active-pause system which allows you to queue up your next action. I can't say I have really used it, but I guess it means you have access to more abilities. It may be more useful for magic or other classes, although there are so many shortcut options available that the game is very playable without.

It is still a stretch to call it "turn based" because there aren't really any turns. Certainly the game doesn't make that claim. However, some people just see "turn based" as meaning that you can take your time selecting your action before triggering it, and Greedfall offers that, if you want it.

10 hours in and I totally love the game. I could play it non-stop, if I had time. I absolutely don't care for the minor issues it has.

Sadly i dropped the game. It looks like a good story but the running all over around and the combat bored me to the level of quitting.
Maybe i'll try to go back to it in a few months.

Back
Top Bottom