Getting grumpy and ‘mean’

Coke is bad.for you…
Drink in moderation

Not so sure about that (compared to other things), but anyhow, I try to limit consumption of any type of snacks to the weekend.

pibbur who also drinks water. But no alcohol

Today I saw this in a coffee shop (not the dutch type): "A coffee a day, keeps the grumpy away".

It's bad enough that they want to make doctors lose their jobs by eating apples. Now they want to get rid of perfectly normal elderly (and elderly wannabes).

I made a wise decision some time ago, switching from drinking normal coffee to decaf. I WILL CONTINUE DOING THAT!!!

Hah!!!

pibbur who also considers stop(ping) drinking coke.

I also go for the decaf, and, if you sniff out the right places, there are some excellent options these days. This, of course, does not make me grumpy, but I find the decaf in most cafes is still pretty grim, which does.

Coke gives me the unpleasant feeling that it is changing my (hard) teeth into a (soft) sponge. So I never drink it.
I can not tolerate coffee.
I dislike MacDonalds.
I drink no alcohol because of health issues.

O, and since the weather seems to have decided it is high summer in Europe: I can not stand having to inhale the smoke of neighbours having a barbeque, smoking fish, or making a fire indoors or outdoors.
I dislike sun when the garden needs water, I curse the rain when going out.
I hate inhaling exhaust fumes when on a bicycle, I hate cyclists getting in my way when in a car.

“Getting… grumpy?”

Coke gives me the unpleasant feeling that it is changing my (hard) teeth into a (soft) sponge. So I never drink it.
I can not tolerate coffee.
I dislike MacDonalds.
I drink no alcohol because of health issues.

O, and since the weather seems to have decided it is high summer in Europe: I can not stand having to inhale the smoke of neighbours having a barbeque, smoking fish, or making a fire indoors or outdoors.
I dislike sun when the garden needs water, I curse the rain when going out.
I hate inhaling exhaust fumes when on a bicycle, I hate cyclists getting in my way when in a car.

“Getting… grumpy?”

Very promising, eye, very promising. I can relate to much of what you say here, except: I really like rain.

pibbur who likes TES and FO3/4 (mainly?) because he can turn on permanent rain in those games.

I also go for the decaf, and, if you sniff out the right places, there are some excellent options these days. This, of course, does not make me grumpy, but I find the decaf in most cafes is still pretty grim, which does.

My main reason for using decaf has until now been my tendency for/of (?) cardiac arytmias when exercising. But, now I realise that the 1,3,7-Trimethylpurine-2,6-dione may prevent grumpiness, I've got another, stronger reason.

pibbur who atm drinks caf in the morning

Last edited:
My main reason for using decaf has until now been my tendency for/of (?) cardiac arytmias when exercising. But, now I realise that the 1,3,7-Trimethylpurine-2,6-dione may prevent grumpiness, I've got another, stronger reason.

pibbur who atm drinks caf in the morning

If interested, a tendency would be to or towards something. It implies leaning or reaching in a certain direction.

Ripper who hopes the old ticker is just engaging in some minor and inconsequential mischief.

For pure productivity, I couldn't do without a full blooded coffee for the heavy early mornings. I must admit that I don't mind the occasional coke either; particularly in summer. Despise smoking though and only average a pint of beer a week these days. :) /vice discussions.

Pessimeister who wonders if his encroaching quadragenarianism entices him further toward general grumpiness and more vice like things…

If interested, a tendency would be to or towards something. It implies leaning or reaching in a certain direction.
Thanks. So much for thinking in Norwegian and translate it directly into English.

To all watchers: Feel free to correct me whenever my English leaves something to be desired
Ripper who hopes the old ticker is just engaging in some minor and inconsequential mischief.
Being grumpy is not the same as being evil.

pibbur who (un)fortunately actually is not particularly grumpy (yet) and therefor can be accused of being a pretender.

For pure productivity, I couldn't do without a full blooded coffee for the heavy early mornings. I must admit that I don't mind the occasional coke either; particularly in summer. Despise smoking though and only average a pint of beer a week these days. :) /vice discussions.

Pessimeister who wonders if his encroaching quadragenarianism entices him further toward general grumpiness and more vice like things…

In my experience so far, getting really grumpy takes years of practice. Some have a natural talent, of course. I may have had it, once, but I've lost it. AND THAT'S THE TRUTH!!!

pibbur who can't remember what else he intended to say

I'll have a coffee in the morning, then cold water throughout the day, and maybe treat myself to a Fresca either with or slightly after supper. I avoid those dark carbonated beverages, give me a pop that I can see and check out for myself. When I was much younger I enjoyed the occasional Coke, but that was quite some time ago.

Being grumpy is not the same as being evil.

pibbur who (un)fortunately actually is not particularly grumpy (yet) and therefor can be accused of being a pretender.

Just to be clear, my reference to "the old ticker" is a euphemism for the heart - I was hoping the arrhythmia was only a minor and unconcerning bit of cardiac mischief. I was not describing Pibbur himself as an old ticker, or any mischief he may or may not be engaged in.

I find it harder and harder to get a good night's sleep. I think pretty soon I'm going to have to start going to support groups and pretend I have illnesses. Or maybe just skip that step and start a fight club.

I find it harder and harder to get a good night's sleep.
Some tips that might be helpful:
Reduce the amount of blue light (tablets, phones) your eyes get exposed to in the evening.
Expose your eyes to enough bright daylight. Get outside for at least… hm, IIRC at least a half hour. But I’m sure more is better. :)
Exercise outside, e.g. cycling for an hour.
Take any medication? Read about the side effects.
Sleeping problems may be one of the symptoms of a disease.

Melatonin in a very small amount is helping me falling asleep (0.3 mg per tablet). I have read that a low dosis is key, not a high one. Though I would not exclude a welcome placebo effect. :) If you consider it, please search the internet and inform yourself about the stuff. After all, it is a hormone.

L-theanine which I started taking recently hoping for a different effect, has gotten me a sleep that is profoundly refreshing. I am getting a real firm sleep, if you get my drift. I haven’t slept like that since I was a child, I think. I have no idea how long this will last. I am sceptical that the effect will wear off after a while, and that I can not get a good sleep without it anymore. Just like sleeping pills - which should not be taking longer than two weeks. Besides, imo those infamous sleeping pills are not refreshing at all: as if someone has knocked me out; a lack of consiousness, a state of non existing, instead of being asleep.

You can get low blue light monitors. That has helped me immeasurably. I like the rain because everyone is more sombre and less chatty when it is raining. Also people huddle indoors and generally act less like arseholes.

Bah I was born grumpy and it gets worse every year.:lol:

fe89b99822272ebb120d0c8029891d5b.jpg

Seems I'm older way before my time as I've been told.

Everyone knows soft drinks are bad for you, they need to be diluted. Water, however, often contains assorted germs and bacteria which can be equally harmful. Therefore, dilutants such as Rum and Vodka were created to solve this little problem!! :)

Some tips that might be helpful:
Reduce the amount of blue light (tablets, phones) your eyes get exposed to in the evening.
Expose your eyes to enough bright daylight. Get outside for at least… hm, IIRC at least a half hour. But I’m sure more is better. :)
Exercise outside, e.g. cycling for an hour.
Take any medication? Read about the side effects.
Sleeping problems may be one of the symptoms of a disease.

Melatonin in a very small amount is helping me falling asleep (0.3 mg per tablet). I have read that a low dosis is key, not a high one. Though I would not exclude a welcome placebo effect. :) If you consider it, please search the internet and inform yourself about the stuff. After all, it is a hormone.

L-theanine which I started taking recently hoping for a different effect, has gotten me a sleep that is profoundly refreshing. I am getting a real firm sleep, if you get my drift. I haven’t slept like that since I was a child, I think. I have no idea how long this will last. I am sceptical that the effect will wear off after a while, and that I can not get a good sleep without it anymore. Just like sleeping pills - which should not be taking longer than two weeks. Besides, imo those infamous sleeping pills are not refreshing at all: as if someone has knocked me out; a lack of consiousness, a state of non existing, instead of being asleep.

Thanks yes I know I should probably get more exercise and I am a bit of a shut-in. I dislike the outdoors & particularly the sunlight.

I should clarify, my sleep issues are not actually that serious. I usually have no trouble falling asleep, I just tend to wake up a bit earlier than I'd like (to pee) and then I'm generally not able to fall back asleep once it's early morning, even on my days off.

I think what I mainly need to do is adopt a regular bed time. I tend to stay up later than I probably should. I have did take some L-Theanine few years ago when I was really stressed out about some things & definitely not getting enough sleep. And GABA too which just helps you relax in general. But it's no longer that serious…Basically I just wish I could still sleep in on my days off.

Just to be clear, my reference to "the old ticker" is a euphemism for the heart - I was hoping the arrhythmia was only a minor and unconcerning bit of cardiac mischief. I was not describing Pibbur himself as an old ticker, or any mischief he may or may not be engaged in.

Ahh. Yet another example of not being entirely familiar with the finer details of English.

Well, well, the old ticker is just a bit annoying from time to time. Short episodes of moderate atrial tachycardia, nothing serious as long as the heart is in good shape, which it seems to be. I've no symptoms and wouldn't know about it if I didn't use a HR detector while exercising.

pibbur

Last edited:
I've come to realise that part of being grumpy is being annoying to others. So what's better than provide a few examples of annoying tunes that you then can't get out of your head for a while?

Here's:

BTW: Alanis Morisette made a (not partiocularly annodying parody) of the above mentioned song:

pibbur who chose to present the offending tune as a spoiler, but who promises that THIS WON'T LAST!!!!

I've come to realise that part of being grumpy is being annoying to others.
I don’t agree. There is a difference between being grumpy and being annoying.

Being grumpy can make others smile. Being grumpy is imo something that usually bothers the person that is grumpy more than bystanders.

A dictionary:
If you you say that someone is grumpy, you mean that they are bad-tempered and miserable.

Edit
Better description:
GRUMPY
When your friend suggests a restaurant but you’re in a bad mood so you say “That’s a stupid restaurant” — even though you don’t really mind it — then you’re being grumpy, meaning irritable or grouchy.
There are all kinds of reasons for feeling grumpy: maybe you’re tired or annoyed or you have a headache. Whatever the cause, when you’re grumpy you just want to sulk in a corner. Even though it’s a negative word, it’s a pretty gentle one. When you're grumpy, you’re not mad or mean — you’re just unpleasant for the moment. But don’t tell someone who’s grumpy that he's being grumpy . . . He likely won’t respond kindly to that.

Mind you at the bottom it says
annoyed and irritable
So being annoyed, not being annoying.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom