Gothic 3 Started G3 again

wiretripped

Machiavellian
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Alright, I've gone and done it again. Despite my massive backlog, I started G3. Again. From scratch. Last time I ended somewhere around Nemora, this time I will persevere!

And darn it, I keep forgetting how gorgeous this game is, still today. The scenery is breathtaking.
But the character models, dear god, what were they thinking when they were designing those? The heads are so small compared to their bodies! Just look at the screenie... they're awful.

I only just liberated Ardea, but I'm struck by how much more this game could have been. I was always a little disappointed in the "repopulation" of Ardea... I mean, pillaging the huts you could clearly tell there's a smithy, a tavern, an alchemist's lab, but it never really becomes properly populated. A mod to rebuild it properly (like you can with F4's settlements) would be sweet.
Anything that improves the immersion, really. I am still waiting on the Community Story Project, have been waiting on it for years. But when it is done, G3 could be glorious. :)

Attachments

• scrawny.jpg
    scrawny.jpg
    207.1 KB · Views: 180
G3 is already glorious.

The music and visuals are glorious. The game itself, not so much.

G3 will always be a great example of happens when a team is forced to push a game out the door before it's ready. Given the time it needed, I think G3 could have been one of the best crpgs ever.

It's still a pretty good game now that it's patched, but I'll always think about what could have been...

If only there was a publisher who'd invest some serious $ into G5.
Any chance Pluto13 does some chatty with CDpr?

Does anyone have any experience with the Content Mod and the Quest Packet?

I've been trying to find information on them, but it's all in German. I've been contemplating getting the CM, since I've always been a little disappointed by the lack of variety in armors and weapons, but I don't want the QP stuff or the updated textures (though I could live with the latter). I watched a vid on youtube and the English of added quests (from the QP) is simply horrid. I don't want that in my game, but I see that the CM requires the QP. :-/

If only there was a publisher who'd invest some serious $ into G5.
Any chance Pluto13 does some chatty with CDpr?

Bethesda could be the publisher and then we'd get G5-Gamebryo :)

Still...it'd probably outsell all the other Gothics combined, but at what cost?

Alright, I've gone and done it again. Despite my massive backlog, I started G3. Again. From scratch. Last time I ended somewhere around Nemora, this time I will persevere!

Exactly my own words every time.
But you can tell it's not up to previous games, when you do not spend first twenty hours running around in a potato sack.

I've never actually played a Gothic. Steam recommended Gothic 3 to me the other day, I was in the mood for a bit of open world and toyed with the idea for a bit (but then fired up DE:HR instead...). I really need to try one of these at some point though.

I've never actually played a Gothic. Steam recommended Gothic 3 to me the other day, I was in the mood for a bit of open world and toyed with the idea for a bit (but then fired up DE:HR instead…). I really need to try one of these at some point though.

Play Gothic 2 with the expansion Night of the Raven. Look at some mods for it also. Gothic 2 was the best one in my mind. It takes a bit to get used to the fighting in it but after that it is such a great game.

I've never actually played a Gothic. Steam recommended Gothic 3 to me the other day, I was in the mood for a bit of open world and toyed with the idea for a bit (but then fired up DE:HR instead…). I really need to try one of these at some point though.

My opinion:

Gothic 3 is hit or miss. The release version was a train wreck. The community patch team fixed more than 1000 issues and polished the combat, but there's only so much you can do. The world was arguably the most beautiful open world created for PC until the recent flood of open world games started. So the world design is still very good. So you're basically rolling the dice for 2$, ;) I had more than 120 hours of fun with it, and maybe 10 hours I would like to have back.

Gothic 3 is not really a "real" Gothic. It's influenced by Bethesda's open world games.

The "real" Gothics are Gothic 1 and Gothic 2. The highlight is G2 Gold with the Night of the Raven expansion. The difficulty level for the latter is considered acceptable again since Dark Souls. ;)

After Gothic Piranha Bytes developed the Risen series.

The easiest way into Gothic style games is starting with Risen 3. It has a modern feel and a standard interface, is sort of open world - not gigantic but reasonably big and open - and has many elements from the Gothics. If you like that, ignore Risen 2 and go back to Risen 1.
Risen 3 is also a pretty safe bet. It's unlikely you don't get 5$ worth of fun out of it.

Risen 1 is basically Gothic 2 without the add-on and with a harmless interface. The game mechanics are typical Gothic stuff. If you enjoyed Risen and think you want to try the real thing, consider Gothic or G2 Gold. I replayed G2 Gold earlier this year. It's still a great game, although the story takes a bit long to start for today's gaming taste. You've basically explored half the world before it kicks off. The content density is still insane. Few games press this much content into so little space.

A DirectX 11 renderer for Gothic and G2 is in development. Already looks pretty nice. Videos can be found on YouTube.

Thanks for the advice!

I picked up the Gothics on Steam last night, they seemed relatively cheap so I thought "why not"! I tried to fire up G2 (with night of the raven) last night just to have a look, but unfortunately it kept crashing after the main menu screen. I'm sure that won't be a problem to resolve, I just didn't have time to sort it yesterday. I found a page in the RPG Watch sub forums about graphics mods, I'll check that out as well.

Although if Risen 3 has a more modern interface etc maybe I'll start there and work backwards. Sometimes there's something to be said for ease of access, especially when you don't have in-built nostalgia for a series. I'm intrigued by what you say about the slow build in G2 though.

Ack, too many games, too little time… Anyway, thanks Wiretripped for making me think about this!

Risen 3 is the only PB game I could finish, though I got fairly far in G3. The earlier games were quite crude, though pretty for their time. Just my 2¢. I'd start with Risen 3 for sure.

Risen 3 is the only PB game I could finish, though I got fairly far in G3. The earlier games were quite crude, though pretty for their time. Just my 2¢. I'd start with Risen 3 for sure.

Risen 3 is the only PB game I lost interest into and did not finished - maybe some day…probably:rolleyes:

I still have the Gothic trilogy somewhere gathering dust. I tried playing Gothic 1 and it's just not my type of game.

Well alright, sorry for the thread necro, but I figured since this was my own thread, and is still about the same playthrough…

So, I didn't persevere earlier. I ended up being burnt out again after "wrapping up" (which means, doing all possible quests without committing to either Orcs or Rebels) Montera over a year ago. I picked it up again a few months ago and made my way through Trelis, Nemora, Geldern and Silden and I am getting tired of it again.
I think the main thing getting to me is all the freaking trash mobs that are an absolute PITA (god, I hate wolves and snappers) and the lack of meaningful exploration (due to the loot distribution). A few days ago I wandered into a cave full of skeletons and zombies, with at the end a gargoyle. I worked my way through it and there was a coffin with like a purplish glowing orb above it, and on the coffin a ring. I thought 'oooh, fancy, this must be decent loot'. Nope, completely useless ring, and to add injury, that was all I had to show for my effort of clearing that cave (there were no chests or other stuff in there).

So, I'm giving up. Again. It's not worth it. There's not really any story to speak of anyway, and I think I've seen the prettiest bit of the world: the area around Silden is absolutely stunning. :)

Who knows, maybe I'll try again once the CSP team finally releases something, but for now, this is going in the freezer. I've got other games in my backlog I want to finish, so I think I'm going back to my paused PoE1 playthrough so I can start PoE2 when they release a "definite edition". ;)

Well alright, sorry for the thread necro, but I figured since this was my own thread, and is still about the same playthrough…

So, I didn't persevere earlier. I ended up being burnt out again after "wrapping up" (which means, doing all possible quests without committing to either Orcs or Rebels) Montera over a year ago. I picked it up again a few months ago and made my way through Trelis, Nemora, Geldern and Silden and I am getting tired of it again.
I think the main thing getting to me is all the freaking trash mobs that are an absolute PITA (god, I hate wolves and snappers) and the lack of meaningful exploration (due to the loot distribution). A few days ago I wandered into a cave full of skeletons and zombies, with at the end a gargoyle. I worked my way through it and there was a coffin with like a purplish glowing orb above it, and on the coffin a ring. I thought 'oooh, fancy, this must be decent loot'. Nope, completely useless ring, and to add injury, that was all I had to show for my effort of clearing that cave (there were no chests or other stuff in there).

So, I'm giving up. Again. It's not worth it. There's not really any story to speak of anyway, and I think I've seen the prettiest bit of the world: the area around Silden is absolutely stunning. :)

Who knows, maybe I'll try again once the CSP team finally releases something, but for now, this is going in the freezer. I've got other games in my backlog I want to finish, so I think I'm going back to my paused PoE1 playthrough so I can start PoE2 when they release a "definite edition". ;)
I think this game is best played by focusing on the main story with side quests to work through to gain some xp...

I remember playing it for over 100 hours and then giving up as well. It was fun but then I got a new shiny game I think.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Nah. Do everything you can while postponing the faction choice as long as possible is the best route there. IMO ofc.

Why it worked for me? For each replay I took a free week. "Shiny new games" that could steal my attention from G3 were rare back then, but then again I never cared about hyping marketing much, word of mouth or reviewers that have similar taste was always more important to me.

Back
Top Bottom