Question About Might and Magic Stats

Kaspian

Watcher
So, I'm playing Might and Magic III: Isles of Terra and am having trouble picking the locks in the first room of the Pyramid of Storage. What stats should I try and boost on my robber in order to improve lock picking? Is it a perception-related ability? For that matter, are there any sites floating around that have good info on the series? I remember there used to be fan sites a decade ago, but not so sure now all these years after the series started.

I remember when I had questions about Isles of Terra when I played it (2006-7ish?) I'd post a question to the veterans on Redneck's MM6 Tavern. I see that the site is still somewhat active today, so you could always try browsing there for information.

http://telp.org/mm6/tavern/mm6tavern.html

All the best with MM3, enjoy that one, as its a great game!

For me, Might & Magic 3, and the killer combo of 4-5 together, was the pinnacle of the series. Especially World of Xeen - the concept of two separate games that join together into one game was unique and awesome! Not sure if anyone else ever did something like that again. I remember playing and finishing it was just pure joy.

I also like the weird, kinda bizarre mashup of fantasy and sci-fi in the Might & Magic games. Its something that seems like it shouldn't work, but yet in M&M it does!

Luck affects Thieving skill, as do a few (relatively rare) items. But, the way the stat system works, once you hit 100 I believe, you don't gain a bonus until the next 50 points of whatever stat (up to 250, which is the effective cap in these games due to variable limitations).

I just did a run through M&M3 a few weeks ago. Have you tried going to the +25 Levels fountain in B1 first? I waited until much later to enter the pyramid sections, and so I was in the 40-50 range on my characters level-wise IIRC first areas I cleared. I also got lucky with a few Thieving-boosting items, so my Ninja was comparatively well equipped to handle locks.

Is lockpicking and such not mostly based on your "Thievery" stat? That goes up with levels. Your thievery is 2*level + class/race modifiers (if you're trained in it, I think). Robbers get +30, Ninjas get +15 and I don't remember race modifier, but I think elves gets a bonus.

Back
Top Bottom