Frayed Knights - Update

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Jay Barnson chats about progress with Frayed Knights and needing to understand and re-work a number of aspects from the original design:
I attended the standing-room only session at GDC one year when Michael Abrash spoke about the development of Quake. While some of the technical details of what they had to do don't have too much relevance with today's technology, the talk had a number of anecdotes that still hold up. He said that he and John Carmack tried a number of different rendering methodologies over the course of a year before arriving at one which - surprisingly - brought them full-circle back to the BSP trees Carmack had used for Doom. After going through about eight different flawed rendering engines before getting it right, Carmack remarked to Abrash that if they'd known exactly what they were making before they started, the engine would have taken less than two months to write.

That's how I'm feeling with some aspects of Frayed Knights. Like character progression.
More information.

I think the system is solid. Automatic advances with leveling with extra points/feats. Give the players options at leveling is always good, always. On the spellcasting for non-spellcasters, it should be painful, i.e. it can't be so powerful that's just a 'must-have' and all characters end up being spellcasters. There could be other restrictions of course, like higher rate of failure on bigger armor, etc.

Yep, ever since the .....pilot? Test run?...not sure what he called it again, lol. But every since then I knew this was on my must buy list whenever it was released. It doesn't matter what he changes in the meantime. The whole setting, goofy heroes, interaction between them and even the funky monsters was just about perfect.

What can I say, I'm a huge fan of the Quest for Glory series and this looks like it is being made with the same kind of spirit those games were made in.

I'm in total agreement. I'll be one of the first in line to get this when it's released. I might even review it!! :)

Expect a review copy as soon as it's ready, Corwin. It's still got a while to churn, though. :) We've already got 4 "dungeons" the size of the Temple of Pokmor Xang (or larger) "done" or in development, a few smaller ones done, and a couple dozen more to do (plus wilderness areas, etc).

And I spent last night getting ladders working. Gloomspire had some great vertical elements but was too confined (based on real-world architecture) for staircases.

I'll look forward to it Jay. Your Blog is a daily must read, so keep up your great work!!

Back
Top Bottom