Hearthstone

You do realize that all games are a time waster. Nothing wrong with that but its funny that to you HS is a time waster but not LoL.
Eh?
I'm talking about gambling timewasting.

Did I call Hearthstone a game? If I did, sorry about that. It's a slotmachine just masked as a videogame.

I would agree with you… except for one little detail… In hearthstone you can disassemble your duplicate cards or the ones you don't need and make the cards you need with dust.
Is that a joke? There is no card I don't need. If there was, I wouldn't hoard items in RPGs.
But nice strategy from Blizzard, let's throw some sand in eyes of those who are aware it's gambling. Sorry Blizzard, I'm wearing glasses currently.

I play quite alot still but I havent spent a dime on the game. I have crafted a few good cards though. I have a lvl 60 paladin and a lvl 58 priest, and the rest are all under lvl 20 still. I play almost exclusively on standard / casual and really only play against opponents with the default card back. You can tell pretty much right away if your opponent is going to be playing "bought" cards. Playing that way I can actually win alot

Player tag - Faunuk

Its not a very good card.

Yeah, even as a beginner, that's clear -- a deck stuffed at random with all the most expensive cards you could find wouldn't be a good idea if you made it yourself. Switching to that deck late in the game when you have a mana base established is less terrible, but only to a degree.

It's just a ridiculous card. It's clearly made to appeal to the kind of player with more money than sense.

I'm a fan of Magic -- but I'm a fan who never actually plays because of this same artifically created "gotta catch em all" dynamic. The Golden Monkey looks like everything that keeps me away from the Magic table distilled into a single image.

I'll likely keep playing Hearthstone -- some of the basic differences between it and Magic (that pretty much every decision is in the hands of the active player, that you automatically get a perfect mana curve every time) simplify things but in interesting ways, so I don't think I'm done trying them out.

Last edited:
I've never spent a cent on the game, and I have a highly competitive deck with many legendary cards. But I have been playing on and off since the game came out. The vast majority of legendary cards were crafted with dust, often after disenchanting other legendaries that I don't need. The solo adventures were especially good for that, because you can DE all the questionable cards you get to make something good.

And yeah, the golden monkey is not overpowered or even all that good. It's easily available through solo adventures to anyone who wants it, and most choose not to use it. I'm not playing with mine.

Doh I got suspended from the Blizzard HS forums for asking if anyone got in the Gwent beta. I don't think it was a ban, I guess I'll find out in a few days.

In other news I'm not a big fan of the new quests as it seems to take longer to finish them as there is less chance of quest stacking. Also, I did not get in the Gwent beta yet. :p

So I got over being grumpy about not having any expensive cards and am continuing to enjoy the game a lot.

I still don't get very high in the rankings, but I've got a solid middle-weight totems deck that gives me enough gradual gold to craft a new card every so often, or run through the arena (still also very bad in arena, which I can't very well blame on access to cards) and pick up a pack or two that way.

So I got over being grumpy about not having any expensive cards and am continuing to enjoy the game a lot.

I still don't get very high in the rankings, but I've got a solid middle-weight totems deck that gives me enough gradual gold to craft a new card every so often, or run through the arena (still also very bad in arena, which I can't very well blame on access to cards) and pick up a pack or two that way.

This sounds exactly like me. Ive found playing in Casual / Standard lets me get quite a few wins. I only play against card backs that I have (without spending any money), or really just against default card backs. Ive found that the players with the fancy bought for cards also tend to like to have a special cool card back. Ive won enough to craft a few good cards and still have like 6500+ gold in the bank

Once upon a time people said that playing on casual was actually much harder for new players than playing ranked, because there is no matchmaking and you are much more likely to be paired in a lopsided match than you would in ranked mode.

I don't know if this is still true, but I'd still think you'd have more balanced games on average in ranked. The only time when that might not be true is when the season has just reset and a lot of top players are dropped back to square 1.

Once upon a time people said that playing on casual was actually much harder for new players than playing ranked, because there is no matchmaking and you are much more likely to be paired in a lopsided match than you would in ranked mode.

I don't know if this is still true, but I'd still think you'd have more balanced games on average in ranked. The only time when that might not be true is when the season has just reset and a lot of top players are dropped back to square 1.

I find I can get to rank 20 occasionally in ranked play but I definitely seem to have much better success in casual. I would guess the "paying" players would flock there (to ranked play) more often though since it's a way to "show off" so to speak, but I also have heard that casual may be harder. My experience has been the opposite though

Yes, I wait to play ranked until around the fifteenth for that reason. Late in the month I am still seeing a a few people with all-golden decks in the mid-teens where I hang out with my little F2P totems -- but the people with expensive decks and low ranks at this point in the month tend not to play all that well.

And when I get to see a truly new deck type (rather than "Oh look, it's C'thun again.") it's fun even when it's stomping me into the dirt. I just ran into a Malygos Druid deck for the first time, and really enjoyed watching it play out. I play Druid myself as an aggro deck with lots of little cheap beasties. This guy was pure control with no minions at all that I saw except for Malygos plus a couple of Azure Drakes -- giving him a total spell damage boost of +7 when all three were out.

He ended up killing me with two Moonfires to the face for eight points of damage each (for those who don't play, Moonfire is a zero-cost spell that does a single point of damage, a Druid's weakest possible spell). Painful, but kind of neat.

I think a lot of people play casual in order to finish their "win 2 games with x class" quest. If I'm rank 10 and I receive that quest for a class I don't normally play, I'd lose a ton of games and a ton of rank if I tried finishing that quest in ranked play. But if I play in casual I can still put together a deck that's much better than any new player's. Same thing out if I'm testing out a competitive deck, but don't want to subject it to ranked play yet.

But ultimately I can't say, I've never spent any money on my deck but I've been playing long enough that I have more than one extremely competitive decks. I can say that when I got knocked back to rank 20 at the end of a season, the people I play at rank 20 while climbing back up often have pretty awful decks, and seem very appropriate for new players to match up against. But of course from their perspective, they are stuck in a hopeless game against me.

I play hearthstone some time now. I never gave a cent for this game.
I was having a hard time in the beginning until i got my first golden legendary. I checked in what class i had the more cards and dusted the golden legendary and crafted the specific class legendary(paladin). Then i focused in that class and started getting wins.
Now i have 4 competitive decks and easily reach 13 rank. Used to be 9 with control warrior, and yea, i'm not that good player

Well I opened 49 packs from gold and another 6 from the quests. Got 4 legendaries but 1 was a duplicate. Lots of epics tho. Not sure what to think of this expansion yet as I didn't pay any attention at all to the buildup. I need to look at all the cards and see what I didn't get. I'm curious.

Back
Top Bottom