Pillars of Eternity II - Best RPG 2018 @ PC Gamer

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
For PC Gamer Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire is the best RPG of 2018:

Best RPG 2018: Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

Obsidian's seafaring sequel dazzled us with a great world and fantastic quest design this year.

Our best RPG of 2018 award goes to Obsidian's Pillars of Eternity 2. It got fewer nominations than the other winners this year, but the staff members who voted for it made it clear how passionate they are about the game. Don't forget to check out the rest of our GOTY picks and personal picks as they happen.

Andy K: In terms of writing, quest design, and world-building, Obsidian is at the top of its game in Deadfire. This nautical sequel continues the story established in the first Pillars, but is standalone enough that you can dive into it without any prior knowledge. And what a grand adventure it is, making you a ship captain and letting you sail the deadly, alluring waters of the tropical Deadfire Archipelago. For the most part this is a classic Infinity Engine-style RPG, with reams of vivid, descriptive text, enchanted items with lengthy descriptions, dungeon diving, and magical beasts. But being able to crew and maintain a ship, and sail freely between islands, gives it a compelling seafaring twist.

Compared to the green and leafy Dyrwood, the relatively familiar fantasy setting of the original game, the Deadfire is a beguiling, strange, alien place, and uncovering its well-realised culture, politics, and history makes spending time there a delight. There are dozens of rounded, interesting characters to meet on your journey, quests that start small then spiral into something wild and unexpected, and a whole lot of deep, tactical combat to indulge in. The standout moment has to be Fort Deadlight, which sees you setting some amusing Hitman-inspired traps to get revenge on a villainous pirate.

[...]
More information.

My second ranked game of 2018.:party:

So far my votes for GOTY on this site is the following.

1. Kingdom Come: Deliverance
  2. Pillars of Eternity II
  3. Pathfinder: Kingmaker

Sorry but PoE2 can't be among my top 3 RPGs of this year.
Sure it's closer to pnp than those three I('ll*) root for, but cmon, I don't think ruleset and statistics should be the only reason to crown something as best RPG.
If the year wasn't full of great games, perhaps PoE2 would be my choice too. But unlike PCG, PoE2 is not the only game I've played this year to think it's the best of them all.

-------------------------------------------------------------------
* - Note that I still didn't start Kingmaker, if it's as good as everyone says around here, PoE2 will drop even lower on my personal list.

Last edited:
I found POE 1 just average so POE 2 I never played. Maybe someday

Sorry but PoE2 can't be among my top 3 RPGs of this year.
Sure it's closer to pnp than those three I('ll*) root for, but cmon, I don't think ruleset and statistics should be the only reason to crown something as best RPG.
If the year wasn't full of great games, perhaps PoE2 would be my choice too. But unlike PCG, PoE2 is not the only game I've played this year to think it's the best of them all.

-------------------------------------------------------------------
* - Note that I still didn't start Kingmaker, if it's as good as everyone says around here, PoE2 will drop even lower on my personal list.
Believe me I played other RPGs but they don't come close to being GOTY.

I could add Divinity Original Sin 2 Definitive Edition but it was just a small update not a new game. Anyway these are the RPGs I played this year. Probably missed a few.

1. Kingdom Come: Deliverance
  2. Pillars of Eternity II
  3. Pathfinder: Kingmaker
  4. Monster Hunter: World
  5. Assassin's Creed Odyssey
  6. Ni no Kuni II: Revenant Kingdom
  7. Dragon Quest XI
  8. Vampyr
  9. Octopath Traveler
  10. Valkyria Chronicles 4
  11. The Banner Saga 3
  12. Divinity: Original Sin 2 – Definitive Edition
  13. Shenmue I & II
  14. Final Fantasy XV
  15. Yakuza 0
  16. Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana
Also BattleTech is not an RPG.

My votes will go to, unless Kingmaker and Thronebreaker shake it, your numbers 1, 10 and 15.

Didn't play nor ever will your #4, #9, #11, #13 and #16 - but from what I've seen and read, I don't think any of them can qualify as my top 3.

Although it's an absolutely awsome experience, I've disqualified #5 from my vote. Reasons? Here:

uplayshit.jpg

ubibullshit.jpg

If needed, I can add more store/helix bullshittery from game tooltips, screened em all.
That can't ever be and that just ain't my goty.

Anyway, yes, you've missed quite a few releases from this year, but don't worry as IMO those while very nice games aren't really goty material (example: Vigilantes).

Best RPG seems about right, at least coming from game critics. Metacritic has PoE2 ranked (88) as the 4th(!) best PC game of 2018, followed closely by Monster Hunter: World (88). The three above it are non-RPGs. Kingdom Come: Deliverance (76) and Patchfinder: Bugmaker (72) came in much lower, at least among the critics. Monster Hunter: World had really abysmal user ratings (5.8) because of its poor PC port.

Last edited:
I just realized I haven't played any RPG released in 2018. I was always a few years behind with my games due to my low spec PCs in the past, but last year I treated myself to a system capable of running the latest games. For some reason I'm still behind. Maybe it's the huge number of games I missed between 2012 and now, maybe I was waiting for definitive editions.
Anyway, the best game of 2018 I played, and one of the best games I played ever is Return of the Obra Dinn. You should check it out.
A little off-topic, but I had to share my thoughts :D

I really enjoyed the first Pillars game, but their scheme of releasing additional content over a large period of time taught me a valuable lesson for the second game. I'll likely get into playing this one a month or so after all the content has been released for it.

I really enjoyed the first Pillars game, but their scheme of releasing additional content over a large period of time taught me a valuable lesson for the second game. I'll likely get into playing this one a month or so after all the content has been released for it.
It's finished but yes expect more patches and extra boss fights. Don't know if Obsidian plans to release a GOTY/Definitive edition this time though. It's possible in my opinion.

My votes will go to, unless Kingmaker and Thronebreaker shake it, your numbers 1, 10 and 15.

Didn't play nor ever will your #4, #9, #11, #13 and #16 - but from what I've seen and read, I don't think any of them can qualify as my top 3.

Although it's an absolutely awsome experience, I've disqualified #5 from my vote. Reasons? Here:

uplayshit.jpg

ubibullshit.jpg

If needed, I can add more store/helix bullshittery from game tooltips, screened em all.
That can't ever be and that just ain't my goty.

Anyway, yes, you've missed quite a few releases from this year, but don't worry as IMO those while very nice games aren't really goty material (example: Vigilantes).

I’m not even sure where you got those pics from.

Anyway odessey is definitely my goty. It’s a really fun game and the only game I’ve played that was released this year.:biggrin:

I might go:
1. Kenshi
2. Kingmaker
3. Kingdom Come: Deliverance

Haven't actually played PoEII yet. If the first PoE were in the mix, I think my list would be the same.

Good list Capt. Huggy Face but I don't see Kenshi winning the vote this year.:)

Usually it's the top three crowdfunding games that win. If not those it's a new BioWare, Bethesda, or CD Projekt game. Now if Anthem makes the list next year I will laugh.

For me it's
  1. Pathfinder: Kingmaker
  2. Kingdom Come: Deliverance
  3. Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire
I'm currently playing AC:Odyssey and while I quite enjoy it, all in all as an RPG it's too shallow to be on my winner's podium.

I agree with PC Gamer. Of course, it's also my "Game of the Year", which I doubt it will be for them, as that's bound to be RDR2, but it's nice to see PoE2 get some (well earned) recognition.

I agree with PC Gamer. Of course, it's also my "Game of the Year", which I doubt it will be for them, as that's bound to be RDR2, but it's nice to see PoE2 get some (well earned) recognition.
Yep their GOTY will probably be RDR 2 or Assassin Creed Odyssey. I can understand the second game winning, but the first game wasn't even released on the PC.

They may have to change their name if RDR 2 is their pick.:lol:

My GOTY is Kingmaker. By far best what I played not only this year.
MH World is sort of guilty pleasure for me. Somehow I dont know why
I spent relatively lot of time with such a game. Probably confirms to me
that value of the product is not just sum of its individual characteristics.

1. Kingmaker
2. Deadfire
3. MH: World

For PC Gamer Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire "the Deadfire is a beguiling, strange, alien place, and uncovering its well-realised culture, politics, and history makes spending time there a delight. There are dozens of rounded, interesting characters to meet on your journey"

I really wish I could experience/love the PoE games the way some people seem able to.

Lol, it's a bit like going on multiple dates with someone who, in theory, *should* be just perfect for you, but no matter how hard you try you just can't hit it off and every date end up being a lukewarm experience. Not unpleasant, but no sparks, no magic in the air, no desire for more.

Finally, you just end up sharing a quick hug and agreeing to "keep in touch" even though you both know it won't happen. :-/

Back
Top Bottom