Forza Developers - Making an Open World RPG

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
PCGamesN reports that the developers of Forza are making an open world RPG as yet unannounced and have hired some notable developers who have worked on other big open world projects.

The developers of Forza Horizon have hired developers from Grand Theft Auto V, Metal Gear Solid, and Hellblade: Senua’s Sacrifice, ahead of a new open-world action RPG. The new project from Playground Games will be the team’s first ever non-racing project.

The newest addition to the new project is Sean Eyestone, who previously worked on Star Wars Battlefront II, having spent ten years working at Kojima Productions where he worked on MGSV. Other recent hires include Will Kennedy, who worked as a senior designer on both the single and multiplayer iterations of Grand Theft Auto V, and Juan Fernandez di Simon, who was senior designer at Ninja Theory during development of Hellblade.

[...]
More information.

Hm... interesting. "Open-world action RPG." If they are smart they will make it highly modable and we might really have a Skyrim-contender.
Anyway, likely not a game I will be waiting for (that's for Battletech and Kingmaker).

The Forza Horizon games are great open-world racers. I would be more interested in this project if it was an open-world rpg/racer hybrid (e.g. Fallout 4 + Interstate 76).

More open world games from unfamiliar developers = great.

Can't wait to see what they come up with. Here's hoping it's not a Skyrim/TW3 clone - but something unique.

- The studio we're talking about is into racing games, not RPGs.

+ All I know about Hellblade is that it sold well and that it's not AAA title but has visuals that can put many AAA games to shame.

+ MGS5 is a game that plays smooth as butter on "trash" PC while keeping high quality visuals. But that's what you get when you concentrate on game engine optimization.
- MGS contains horrible pay2cheat practices in it's MMO part.

- GTA5 is the most overrated mediocre garbage I've ever seen in my life.
- GTS5 is currently milking unsuspecting victims through microtransactions in so called GTA online while Bully on Steam is still unpatched and is crashing to desktop every 10 minutes.

- Star Wars Battlefront II, do I really have to say anything about that thing?

Two pluses and five minuses. I'm kinda not excited about these news.
Feels like I'm looking at early stages of some odd game where you'll roleplay a car.

I can say I'm interested.
I like open world rpgs, and this is a major developer, so they would have the funds to make a AAA rpg game. Need more info though (setting, etc.)

It's a pity that a couple of years ago this would have been interesting news, to me. Now my initial reaction is, "I wonder what sort of lootbox game-as-a-service bullshit this will be. And, now that I think about it, I don't really care."

It's a pity that a couple of years ago this would have been interesting news, to me. Now my initial reaction is, "I wonder what sort of lootbox game-as-a-service bullshit this will be. And, now that I think about it, I don't really care."

I get where your coming from as I'm hoping for the best. Maybe it will be in the vein of Autoduel given their car racing roots.

Expect lots of these:
overwatch-loot-price.png

Yeah, it is worrisome… Some of those new hires worked on games with loot boxes and pay-to-win MP. To the bean counters, what's better than selling horse armor, weapons, and game changing perks as DLC? Randomizing the goodies in loot boxes and selling it over and over.

I get where your coming from as I'm hoping for the best. Maybe it will be in the vein of Autoduel given their car racing roots.

That sure would be nice. I've been waiting for a real car RPG for a long time. Darkwind's turn-based system is even better and a bit surprising in how well it works. I'd play that game, if it weren't subscription based and so focused on multiplayer.

That sure would be nice. I've been waiting for a real car RPG for a long time. Darkwind's turn-based system is even better and a bit surprising in how well it works. I'd play that game, if it weren't subscription based and so focused on multiplayer.

The game looks interesting to say the least. Interesting in a good way. Thanks for letting me know!

Back
Top Bottom