Dungeon Encounters - Announced for October 14

Redglyph

proud GASP member
PC Invasion reports that Square Enix will release Dungeon Encounters, a dungeon exploration RPG, on October 14.

Dungeon Encounters, a new RPG from Square Enix, launches this month

It isn't often that major publishers announce a brand new IP and then dump it on us two weeks later. That's exactly what's happened, though, as Square Enix has announced both the existence of and the release date for its new dungeon crawling experience, Dungeon Encounters. The game has a name that definitely brings to mind both dungeons and encountering things in them. It's a top-down, grid-based affair that will see players exploring the depths of unexplored labyrinths just begging to be thoroughly examined. The game is coming to PC via Steam, so we'll be able to partake soon.

Dungeon Encounters is set to release on October 14, so it's a little less than two weeks away. Not much fanfare on this one, eh? The game is headed up by folks who worked on some of the Final Fantasy games. Its director is Hiroyuki Ito, the man who also helmed such classics as Final Fantasy VI and Final Fantasy IX. He also did Final Fantasy XII, but we shouldn't hold that against him. This is the first game he's helmed since that, which is shocking because this is the guy who made FF VI. Why would you not want that guy?

Dungeon Encounters get October release date

The game features 100 levels filled with monsters and obstacles that will require a great portion of your cunning to survive. As Ito's directing, his Active Time Battle System is going to be at the forefront here. You can get your first peek at the gameplay in the trailer included below which, honestly, is more minimalistic than I had been expecting. It's got a lot of featureless, solid backgrounds covered in squares. That certainly is grid-based, I guess. We'll just have to trust Ito for now, as we won't have to wait long to see what he has in store for us. It's not airships this time, folks.

More information.

Looks like it would be fun for tabletop and board game fans. The production values are surprisingly meager for a Square Enix game.

Yes, it seems very strange. The announcement was quite new so I didn't find any gameplay to find out if there was more to it, or if it was just a basic and fun little game. It seems to be just that, minimalistic is the word that is often associated with it.

No idea what that's supposed to be...
Timelimits? Timeraces? Beat your time? Puzzle out how to step on every tile?
If yes, I am going to explore other dungeons. Thank god there are real RPGs out there.

Yeah, this is a weird and seriously different kinda beast, especially from the likes of Square Enix. I enjoy quite a few of their past offerings, so this one will be one worthy of watching, just to see what form it takes.

This SO looks like my jam. I have used grid-based "mapping" games since the early 1990's to chill out and relax, making my little maps and making sure to explore every square.

This is like bottling that nostalgia and handing it back to me in adulthood where all I want to do is relax with nostalgic games like this and a purring cat in my lap.

Please shut up and take my money, in the immortal words of Fry.

Looks more like a board game to me ... Or, maybe, they wanna jump on the "roguelike" train as well ?

I'm curious about this one, will probably take a look at it when it releases.

Yeah, I'm not fully onboard with a game where the story is completely played and told out from the cards. I'll see what folks think of it when it's fully released, yet it isn't difficult to minimize my expectations on this one.

I find it hard to make a really strong opinion about this game one way or another considering how little we all know about it yet. :D So far we know it has grids, a timer, and some kind of JRPG-ish combat system.

Will save judgment until I know wtf the game actually is offering :D

I find it hard to make a really strong opinion about this game one way or another considering how little we all know about it yet. :D So far we know it has grids, a timer, and some kind of JRPG-ish combat system.

Will save judgment until I know wtf the game actually is offering :D

Yes, exactly what I though too. ;)

And even if that was a simple game, there's place for those too.

Back
Top Bottom