What I've Been Watching: The Catch-All Film Thread

I trusted you that Prey is a lot better than… Dunno now.
What I got was a sheer mediocrity, utter boredom and world designer's mushrooms obsession. :p

I forgot that you prefer games that look like this... ;)

genshin-imapct-best-pyro-characters.jpg

How a game appears to me is roughly about ten percent of the draw, if that. The story, exploration and mechanics within the game, ahhh, now that's the stuff of which dreams are made!!~

Watched "Stray" with the wife the other day, it was decent but not groundbreaking. If you like dogs, you'll probably like the documentary. It's about stray dogs in Turkey, interwoven with a story about homeless street youth from Syria and their relationship with the dogs. It was well-filmed and captured the essence of "urban dog life" really well, if you're into that kind of thing.

It was a fun watch but nothing I'm in a rush to see again. My wife thought it was sad where I just thought it was more an interesting look at how dogs adapt to a city setting when they're largely left alone by the populace and left to do their own thing. No animal cruelty or anything of that nature is shown; the most intense scenes in the film pretty much involve the difficulty of being a homeless street youth and the occasional fight between dogs that usually ends without serious injury.

Kind of a firm three out of five star experience. :D

I'm watching Godzilla vs Kong right now, and it's somehow even worse than the trailer made it look. An impressive feat indeed.

Seriously?
Unless they get into a romantic relationship in the end, and they don't, I have no interest in the dead horse beating.

Not that I'm holding it much against you, I've watched some suspicious movies lately I wish I didn't.
One of these is The Kid Detective.
Look at that imdb score, wtf.
The first hour of that movie is halfboring drama, tries to be funny and fails every time, only the last half hour is decent.
Overrated mediocrity.

On the other hand, Dorm is close to masterpiece.
This material got tainted by outdated technology in a few scenes (so dark you see nothing).
It is marked as horror while it is not horror at all, it's of Guillermo Del Toro style where it's living and not dead you should be scared from.
With unbelievably talented cast and unique story, I can't praise it more.
And it has a lower score than Kid Detective? LOL

I hope the Kid Detective wasn't spying on a college Dorm. That could ruin them for life ;)

I wanna see Kong vs Godzilla. Love monster movies. Hope to see more like Cloverfield too.

I hope the Kid Detective wasn't spying on a college Dorm. That could ruin them for life ;)
Not happening, good or bad, neither one of these is American Pie the xth and similar garbage unwatchable with IQ higher than 70.
Also, the dorm in my previous post is a boarding school for teenagers and kid detective is a man in 30s so that would make such setup plain wrong.

But if you want a movie with not dorm but drone spying (in this case a teenager uses a drone to see some boobs), it's Les Misérables and I've turned it off after half an hour.
Again, thanks to imdb idiocy and high score I've expected a great thriller.
Instead I got style over substance critics only food and sheer boredom.
If there is something a thriller must never do, it's not to bore people to death.

Last edited:
I wanna see Kong vs Godzilla. Love monster movies. Hope to see more like Cloverfield too.

I've been a huge fan of Godzilla since I was 5 years old. Don't pay to see G vs K though. It'll just piss you off. It's beyond stupid, and the couple of semi-decent fight scenes don't come close to making it worth suffering through.

There's apparently a new Cloverfield movie in the works. No details on the plot yet except that it won't be found-footage style.

https://collider.com/cloverfield-4-sequel-update-writer-joe-barton-jj-abrams/

I've enjoyed Godzilla/Kaiju, Ultra-man, and many others since the mid sixties. I don't really care for what they've become over the past twenty years or so, when a film is named for a certain being I expect that lead to encompass at least half the movie, if not more. I don't want to see whiny brats running around instead.

Godzilla screen time:

1 Godzilla Vs MechaGodzilla II 0:26:56
2 Godzilla 2000 0:22:28
3 Godzilla Vs Hedorah 0:20:33
4 Godzilla Vs Destroyah 0:20:09
5 Godzilla X Megaguirus 0:20:08
6 Godzilla Vs SpaceGodzilla 0:19:38
7 Return of Godzilla 0:18:54
8 Shin Godzilla 0:17:23
9 Godzilla Vs Biollante 0:16:49
10 GMK: Giant Monsters All Out Attack 0:16:40
11 Godzilla Vs Gigan 0:16:12
12 Godzilla Vs Mothra 0:15:16
13 Godzilla Final Wars 0:14:55
14 Godzilla Vs King Ghidorah 0:14:46
15 Ebirah, Horror of the Deep 0:13:01
16 Godzilla (1998) 0:12:58
17 Godzilla: Tokyo S.O.S. 0:12:52
18 Son of Godzilla 0:11:56
19 Godzilla X MechaGodzilla 0:11:48
20 Godzilla Vs Megalon 0:10:24
21 Mothra Vs Godzilla 0:10:24
22 Godzilla (2014) 0:09:56
23 Terror of MechaGodzilla 0:09:34
24 Godzilla Raids Again 0:09:32
25 King Kong Vs Godzilla 0:09:13
26 Gojira 0:08:44
27 Destroy All Monsters 0:08:29
28 All Monsters Attack 0:08:19
29 Ghidorah, the Three Headed Monster 0:07:55
30 Godzilla Vs MechaGodzilla 0:07:55
31 Invasion of the Astro Monster 0:05:43

Would have linked it but the site didn't register as secure, so just copy-pasted.

So, I watched Godzilla vs Kong tonight and I enjoyed it fairly well. Thought the wacko trio was a waste of screen time but otherwise it was fun. Since @JDR13; warned me, I just made an HBO Max account and watched it that way. I figure I'll watch a few GOT episodes to make up the cost. I never watched that program but heard all but the last season is pretty good.

I thought it was mostly awful, though some of the effects work was good. Just a pity they let a huge monkey write the script.

I got talked into watching the bloody thing last night, dear lord... I guess if you assume it was written by a pair of eight year olds and aimed at their peers as the audience, it might have scored average? As it was, I'm grateful I had a book handy, and watched an episode of Mayans afterwards just as a palate cleanser. In Godzilla versus King Kong, the actual losers are anyone daring to watch this.

Back
Top Bottom