Galactic Civilizations IV

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Well I know some of you enjoy these games so here you go.:)

Galactic Civilizations IV Announcement Trailer

The newest installment of its award-winning space 4X strategy sandbox game series takes the best of what its predecessors had to offer and adds to it with many new and exciting features. As the all-powerful leader of a spacefaring civilization, the player must seek out new star systems and discover the exciting potential of the subspace realm. There are thousands of worlds to colonize and dozens of civilizations - both old and new - to encounter.

• Turn-based
  • Tile based (hexes) based movement
  • Ship design
  • Strong-AI for opponents
  • Deep gameplay customization
  • Free-form movement (as opposed to starlanes)
  • Player controlled cultural evolution (are you good, evil or a shade of gray?)
  • Planetary invasion requires actually invading a planet
  • Mixture of deep lore (a handful of carefully crafted civilizations and histories) mixed with game-to-game generation of new lore and species
  • Big technology trees

Last edited:
I am excited to see it but based on the last game's swath of dlc , I'll be looking at 2026-30 before I play it.

Sounds like they're going for a much more agile game design, expecting to change quite a bit depending on alpha player feedback. It will be interesting to see how that turns out.

Will be interesting.

I enjoyed GalCiv3 after the DLCs.

Not quite the MoO2 successor I'm still waiting for, but reasonably close.

Gal Civ 3 just started an open beta for some more tweaks. Looks like they aren't quite done with that game!

Galactic Civilizations IV Just Started Early Access - Website or Epic Games Store
Stardock released an Alpha version of Galactic Civilizations IV into Early Access today. As the all-powerful leader of a spacefaring civilization, the player must seek out new star systems and discover the exciting potential of the subspace realm. There are thousands of worlds to colonize and dozens of civilizations - both old and new - to encounter.

The game takes the best of what the award-winning space 4X strategy sandbox game series has to offer and adds many new and exciting features while vastly increasing in scope and depth. Galactic Civilizations IV utilizes new features like AI characters, star sectors, ministers, central control, a much bigger technology tree, and more.

Let's eXplore Galactic Civilizations 4 Alpha: An Introduction and Gameplay

Galactic Civilizations IV Officially Launches - Stardock Store & Epic Games Store

The newest installment of the award-winning space 4X strategy sandbox game series takes the best of what its predecessors had to offer and adds new features like multi-sector maps, the ability to customize your civilization mid-game via policies, internal factions, a unique mission/quest system, and so much more.

As the all-powerful leader of a spacefaring civilization, players will seek out new star systems and discover the exciting potential of the subspace realm. With over a dozen starting civilizations to choose from, plus the ability to create unique custom civilizations from scratch - the possibilities for each playthrough are endless, leaving players with a truly unique experience every time they start up a new game.
Galactic Civilizations IV Reviews

Epic exclusive. Stardock store just takes you to the Epic store.

It's a shame. I loved GCII & GCIII, but I won't get this until it shows up on Steam or Epic gives it away.

I'm an old GC fan too, I think I have my fondest memories for the first one. These days I'm kind of burnt out on the 4X genre, But I'd still give a GC game a try, if just for old time sake.

But....as other people have said, GC was always vastly improved by it's expansions/DLC. I was late to the first game, but the later ones were pretty unimpressive on initial release. Epic seems to be the platform for exclusives of unfinished games, and GC is likely to fit that to a T. So I'm extremely happy waiting for a Steam release before I try it out. Maybe it will actually be ready by then.

I'd really like to see someone take the ideas behind Sorcerer King and give them another try. Preferably not Stardock though, I've lost a lot of my faith in them for anything not GC related. But Sorcerer King seemed like a much more interesting implementation of the 4X mechanics if a company could actually do it correctly.

I dislike the aesthetic, tone and narrative elements in GC games (I've briefly tried II and then III). The big "selling point" of this one seems to be larger maps....which honestly just sounds like more of a mediocre thing, so it's not a selling point to me at all.

I'll stick with Endless Space 2, AI War 2 and Stellaris for my space 4x needs whey they arise.

Initial reviews seem pretty poor. Though this has been true of every Stardock game ever, even the ones that eventually got really good after patches/DLC. But it reaffirms my feelings that it's perfect for Epic and can happily stay there for now.

How is AI Wars 2? I really liked the idea of the first one, but I bounced off of it pretty hard when I actually tried it. I've heard the sequel is a bit more accessible tough.

How is AI Wars 2? I really liked the idea of the first one, but I bounced off of it pretty hard when I actually tried it. I've heard the sequel is a bit more accessible tough.

Much like you, at this point the concept outstrips the game itself as far as its appeal to me. One of these days I'm going to really try to get my head around it. There have been a lot of improvements in the UI and how information is communicated to the player in the sequel, so I would say that it's true that it's more accessible.

Galactic Civilizations IV: Supernova Announced - Website
Thanks to the invention of Hyperdrive, your civilization is now ready to explore the mysteries of the galaxy. Discover new worlds, encounter new civilizations, and learn about the dark history that encompasses them all.

No one makes computer AI like Stardock. Each computer opponent is a sophisticated and nuanced AI entity with its own ambitions and goals. Every civilization has its own unique history and story to tell.

Stay ahead in an endless arms race by designing starships to counter adversaries' strengths and reduce your own weaknesses. Whether you let the AI design the ships for you or meticulously create your own to resemble those of your favorite Sci- Fi series, Galactic Civilizations IV: Supernova takes ship design to a whole new level.

AND we got a few small updates to Gal Civ 3 on March 8th.

So, I guess this will be a free update for Epic customers? The Steam page is just Gal Civ 4: Supernova, there's no option to get the game without the expansion/dlc/whatever-this-is.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LidiXmSgoxQ
Discover the captivating world of 4X games! Join us as we explore the distinctive genre of strategy gaming focused on empire building, diplomacy, and war. From the early pioneers to iconic titles like Civilization, Master of Orion, Stellaris, and Age of Wonders, we delve into the core elements and thematic sub-genres of 4X games.

I bought this on early access awhile ago. It definitely needs some work, but Stardock is continually making improvements to it. Maybe it'll be playable once it comes out of early access. I hope so, I want this one to succeed. GC3 was a bit of a letdown, but I did like GC2. Nothing will top MOO2 for me, sadly.

Considering how much changes they've been making to this game lately, it must've been released in pretty rough shape on its initial Epic release. I'm not sure when I'll jump back into this game, maybe once its out of early access or at the very least once modding is enabled so I can tweak the game to my liking (or rather, accomodate for my lack of skill *lol*).

Back
Top Bottom