Fable 3 - 66% Off on Steam

I don't know. These first few hours, it seems I've done a whole lot of running from A to B (i.e. following the glowy trail), pushing buttons and some occasional combat in between. Almost like an interactive movie thing. Maybe there will be more gameplay later on?

It does turn open world after some time, but even still the missions you can tackle inside that open world will still be quite linear in nature. When there are choices they're really highlighted, you click the option you want on the screen.

So there's not so much room to express yourself, and combat gameplay isn't so satisfying by itself that it would keep you going until the end, so if you aren't drawn into the story, care for the character and aren't immersed in the world, you probably won't enjoy the rest of the game that much either.

The only thing I know about Fable III is farting and chicken dances incorporated as game mechanics.

So... $17 is $17 too much !

Nope, I have a GTX 470 and it is smooth, just seems to be capped at 30fps. So not 60fps smooth, but steady smooth anyway. I.e. no framerate drops.

Oh, so that was the issue. Okay then. Any way to remove the cap?

Oh, so that was the issue. Okay then. Any way to remove the cap?

Ah, apparently you can try the following. Disable Vertical Sync in Fable 3's graphics settings and force it in your driver, e.g. nVidia Control Panel or AMD similar. Seems to work here, but it doesn't feel completely smooth. Will have to play longer to decide if this is a good fix.

So far the fps goes higher than 30 fps without screen tearing, but it doesn't seem to be consistent. Might be better off capped at 30. :(

I wouldn't spend time with this even if they payed me to play it. Unless it was something like 50 bucks or something, then I'd play it for a couple of days, no more.

Oh, it's not so bad. I've been having fun with it and I did not even bother with all the farting and chicken dancing. ;) It isn't at all challenging at all on normal, though. But I don't mind that. Some quests are pretty funny, as well.

broke down and got it
i'm much more impressed than i was with fable 1

the graphics are immersive and it actually reminds me a lot of gothic 3 in the mountain levels with the weather and tree effects. wind and music is great too. the low detail distance design is great to and it makes if feel more natural than some games.

the combat is really fun, and if they can make the gun combat enjoyable i'm sure we are hopefully in for greatness with risen 2. its true the game is not very challenging on normal but you can sink a lot of time into simulation style stuff like buying property and becoming everyones friend and more though those kind of endless quests are fairly tedious though they don't take to long and the fast travel helps quite a bit.

also this game actually reminds me a lot more of jade empire than the first fable game in a lot of ways with its colourful level design and slick combat. also the humour is quite good at times though i for the love of god do not understand their unhealthly passion for chickens, chickens, chickens.

i really think people should over look the steam and games for windows live hassles as i've almost got my moneys worth after less than ten hours and its sure to provide tens more. also i highly doubt you'll ever see it more than a few dollars below this sale price ever.

an 8 or 8.5 for me is probably what i'd score it though its a bit too early to tell. the first game probably a 7 to 7.5

all the industrial art direction which is somewhat steampunk i guess is also very reminiscent of the up and coming bioshock infinite which i hope will be a 9 to 9.5

theres a cool side quest were you get sucked inside a book and have to act out the actors plays. although the choices in it are binary it was still and enjoyable quest and far better in my view than the one from oblivion in the painting that got so much praise.

life in art in squared

Even with the discussed performance issues I was thinking of grabbing this one to play over the weekend... then I saw it had SecuROM. Nothing more to see here.

theres a cool side quest were you get sucked inside a book and have to act out the actors plays. although the choices in it are binary it was still and enjoyable quest and far better in my view than the one from oblivion in the painting that got so much praise.

You mean the one with the nerds dressed as wizards that shrink you down so you can play in their pen-and-paper role-playing game? That was fairly amusing, especially the last scene. :) Yeah, the quests in Fable 3 are pretty good. And I've now arrived at the point where the game changes considerably. You'll see, it's a nice diversion.

You mean the one with the nerds dressed as wizards that shrink you down so you can play in their pen-and-paper role-playing game? That was fairly amusing, especially the last scene. :) Yeah, the quests in Fable 3 are pretty good. And I've now arrived at the point where the game changes considerably. You'll see, it's a nice diversion.

nope its a different one this was in the closed up academy after you go through it the first time there's 3 or so quests that pop up one after the other.

i really do feel this is the closest game to the gothic games i've played. true its not much of an rpg, and without factions and a true open world it can't come close. yet for the reasons above and small things like no item limit and the ability to finish of downed enemies it similar enough for me to enjoy it more as it rides on the back of gothic games. also the combat keeps getting better with all the different animations, and the controls are suprisingly good for a console port not like the original. also the spell weaving is great, and like the subsequent spells you can cast and their effects/animations even more so than risen which i thought was one of the weaker aspects of that game.

as much as i enjoyed some aspects of dragon age 2, i do believe that i think fable 3 is a better game, though maybe not a better rpg we'll see.

I don't understand the hate the Fable games get on here. They are not trying to be the hardcore rpg, they are an rpg-lite adventure games. And they do that quite well. The production values are quite high as well. They are fun games, I guess that isn't enough for the rpg elite. Not every game is trying to be the next BG 2.

Barbie's Horse Adventures isn't trying to be a hardcore RPG either but that doesn't suddenly make it more interesting to me. I didn't find Fable much fun - trapped in narrow corridors with the ability to fart instead of proper dialogue - and I haven't paid attention since. I'm sure plenty of people find them fun but I don't see why it is surprising a few posters on a PC-ish RPG site disagree.

i really do feel this is the closest game to the gothic games i've played.

I actually find that statement offensive. ;)

Seriously, I'm glad you're enjoying it, but I think you must have missed a few games if you honestly think Fable III is the closest thing out there to another Gothic. For starters, track down a copy of Dragon Knight Saga.

Heck, even Two Worlds was closer to Gothic than any Fable game.

Last edited:
Barbie's Horse Adventures isn't trying to be a hardcore RPG either but that doesn't suddenly make it more interesting to me. I didn't find Fable much fun - trapped in narrow corridors with the ability to fart instead of proper dialogue - and I haven't paid attention since. I'm sure plenty of people find them fun but I don't see why it is surprising a few posters on a PC-ish RPG site disagree.

Hmmm if you haven`t paid attention since, how do you know anything about the current games?

I liked Fable 1, but it's been all down hill from there. Fable 2 was decent, but the annoying technical problems and severe lack of any difficulty hampered it quite a bit. Also, it somehow managed to take an already RPG-lite system and streamline it even further, which took away from what little depth it had. From what I've seen of Fable 3, I don't think I'll ever play it. It's a shame, because I thought Fable had quite a bit of potential as a series after the first one, but it seems to have gone backwards with each iteration instead.

I actually find that statement offensive. ;)

Seriously, I'm glad you're enjoying it, but I think you must have missed a few games if you honestly think Fable III is the closest thing out there to another Gothic. For starters, track down a copy of Dragon Knight Saga.

Heck, even Two Worlds was closer to Gothic than any Fable game.

played all those games and while technically they may have more in common the experiences they provide don't. both of those games which i've played though not finished two worlds 2 or the addon for divinity 2. they may offer skill trees and more open exploring though divinity 2 isn't really more open than fable 3, but when it comes to questing and dialogue i actually think fable 3 is better. you can tell this game got inspiration from the gothics as even the digging up treasure animation is nearly an exact replica of the shoveling showcase sans the dog leading you there. the combat in divinity 2 has nothing on this game. there's a lot less npcs with routines and scedules as well. also i maybe mistaken as its been a long time but did divinity 2 have a day night cycle? for me that adds immersion and while i say this game has a gothic feel to it i'd still say that's its not much more than a 20% gothic feel to it which isn't much but i really don't feel anyone else has gotten that close. even arcania, which was a game i enjoyed as it had the lore and such, and great bow combat, didn't really capture the immersive environments like pirahnas games.

all that said fable 3 is just as much an action adventure game too like assassin creed as it is gothic. its alot of things and such a far superior game beyond the original that people should be more opened minded and forgiving of its reputation.

i've been playing gothic games for over a decade now and as its my favourite franchise in any genre you should realize i don't throw the allusions around lightly.

gothic games have a vibe to them that have existed since their inception and its takes more than just making a similar type game like two-worlds to make it have similar moments of experience. the witcher has similarities as well to gothic though i would say fable 3 has no similaties to the witcher games.

also fable 3 has what any good fantasy rpg should have and that is loads of humourous epitaphs on tombstones.

Back
Top Bottom