Gothic Brand New to Gothic. Questions on Class/Character Build for Gothic 1

Gah! I no longer have my one and only lock pick. I went to reload after I broke said lockpick in an attempt to open a chest and I accidently saved instead. Duh! Any ideas on where I can get another set in the Old Camp?

mm try fingers the one that teaches you lockpick :)

Euhm try to go to character desription and type 'marvin', then go out of character description again. When you press F2 now, a console will appear. Insert It_Lockpick (or something that looks like it - don't have the cheat codes anymore)

I think in the Old Camp someone sells lockpicks.

For a price, of course.

Look at the south (?) entrance, where the fallen tower lies.

Yes, I found two after taking more time with the merchants. By the way, is there any way to delete older saves?
Yes, but not ingame. You'll have to go into your Gothic game folder to delete them.;)

bartacus don't advice him to use marvin in his first run through. That is something for a second or further game :)
jep just save over them or delete them out game.
Damn although I knew the game out of my thumb almost I still feel like playing it again now :p

There are many that sell lock picks, but not too many in the Old Camp. The best places are:
- Various places in the New Camp
- A guy in the mine, he sells 10 or 20 of them, but you need to pay some miner in a corner (a fellow that sells information) first.

doesn't Fingers sell lockpicks too? it is a long time ago so my mind isn't sure about that anymore.

You can also do like most did: save before you try, does the pick break: reload
cheesy way but most of us has probably done it a lot of times

As far as I know, Fingers is not a vendor. He can train you in all thieving skills/ranks.

And yes, I've used the whole reload thing myself. :)

Okay, since I die early on trying to go to the old mine I decided to do the Thorus quest, warned Mordrag, and headed out to the New Camp. I am 250 experience points away from third level. I got caught by Lefty and now I must serve water to the rice field workers. I immediately did so and received 100 exp. Then I went into the New Camp. looked around, etc.

I got up the next day and figured I might as well give water again. The problem was that as soon as Lefty saw me he accused me slacking off, attacked me, and took a sizable amount of ore.

So I reloaded, avoided Lefty, gave out the water and then went to him. This time he was okay and then told me to go ahead and do my job?! But I just did...

So, I reloaded a third time and tried meeting him first -- same outcome.

Any clues? I even had to supply said water from my own stash. The first time I was handed 12 bottles of water. I figured Lefty would hand it out again -- wrong!

Last edited:
I don't really remember how the quest is supposed to go, but you can enter or leave the new camp by jumping or down the ramp to the edge so he doesn't see you.

Going up the rice field stay on the right and jump up, so he doesn't see you. Going down, just jump down the rice field instead of following the road towards Lefty.

O.k Rills,

After accepting the Water carrier for Lefty quest, dish out two lots of water (2 @ 12) = 24 bottles, this is so each of the diggers gets a free drink and is an act of humanity, then speak with Horatio and accept the quest and leave the third option 'open' - then speak with Jeremiah at the back of the bar on the lake, return to Horatio and offfer the third option (smash the Rice lords face in) - this will give you 5+ strength points at the same time being told "use you strength fort a just cause *and nothing else* (clue)
So purposely not using any weapon, confront Lefty (only in daytime) and he will attack.
withdraw backwards to a safe non-detect distance from the Rice-Lord and by using *fists only* (control+forward) slap Lefty down. When he gets up talk with him, the dialogue has three choices and consequences.

1- take some water to the peasants
2. just wanted to smash your face in.
3. How are you my friend.

Options 1 and 3 will complete the Lefty quest without alienating the rogues or mercenaries, if done correctly your journal entry should say something like "some people only learn through pain"

wow wulf... I never had the idea to beat him with my fists... wow... but it was so obvious! anyway Rills you can avoid him as I did (almost whole game lol)! just go on the right near the wall of stone and climb the little ramp! Do all quests here in New Camp but don't become part of New camp! then go to the sect merchant in new camp (he is smoking weed!) and talk to him... he will direct you to someone else who will take you to the Sect camp! Do all quests there :D ! then... you can choose your favorite camp!

good luck hehe

no I meant fingers but with your remark about fisk and that fingers doesn't sell I knew the guy of the old camp had some too.

I think you can join as soon as level 6, but if I remember correctly it's better to be about level 10 or so ...
The first time I played, I was the lowest level possible, but if you can manage to be a bit higher and thus a bit stronger it's better.
If you can save some LPs it might help too.

Level 5 is minimum, but I'm usually around 7. The whole levelling process speeds up after you join a camp though, since you get better armor allowing you kill things a bit easier.

Back
Top Bottom