Grimshade - Now on GOG and 10% off

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
Grimshade has been released on GOG to a 10% launch discount.

Grimshade tells the story of the company of heroes, by a twist of fate involved in the cycle of events unfolding in the world of Ree'fah. Numerous dreadful monsters infested the forest around the city of Brann and high walls could no longer protect residents from the attacks. The menacing army of the neighbouring kingdom suddenly landed on the outskirts of the city, wreaking havoc. There is no hope for salvation -- the strength of the defenders is running low, but the King and his loyal Champions had vanished.

Series of sudden events and odd coincidences force people to act. Get acquainted with each of the heroes and unite them -- entirely different, sometimes bizarre and frightening, with their motives, but one purpose for all -- to find out the real causes of what happened to them.

Lead the group of the adventurers on a journey and explore a varied and intricate world, meet new characters and reveal plot-related secrets. Remember, beauty is deceptive -- danger lurks everywhere. Test your skills in challenging turn-based battles, adjusting your combat tactics and optimal team combinations for each foe you met on the way.

Key Features

• Seven memorable characters, including Kiba, the dark child, Charlie, the talking sniper badger, Alister, the brave guy with an Ether gauntlet, and Ruby, the princess of the thieves. Each of them has their role (sometimes more than one) on the battlefield and their own mission on a big journey.
  • Character development system is based on equipment: each piece of armour, weapon or accessory gives a unique skill to a particular hero, expanding their range of attack types and defensive boosts. Find, trade for, or craft new equipment to improve your characters and make them versatile and adaptable.
  • Complex tactical turn-based battles: a variety of elaborate enemies won't let you complete the whole game using a single tactic or invincible team build. Choose wisely the squad you take in a fight -- proper positioning and awareness are essential to your success struggling against powerful foes.
  • The vivid and diverse world of Ree'fah: immerse yourself in the hand-painted fantasy universe of Grimshade and discover an impressive history in more than 20 hours of an exciting journey.
Thanks you!

More information.

Anyone tried this one? The description sounds like The Banner Saga.

I have it but haven't played it as of yet, it recently released so I'm giving time for patches and updates to land first. I am looking forward to jumping in, I've had high hopes for this project since the kick starter happened and I believe in the end it will be an excellent game.

Anyone tried this one? The description sounds like The Banner Saga.
Unlike that rubbish, Grimshade is not a phonegame (tooltips are a microscopic font for example). As it's not using GPU heavy processing it's still possible to port it on phones. Maybe Beamdog does it if they smell a milking opportunity here too.
I have it but haven't played it as of yet, it recently released so I'm giving time for patches and updates to land first. I am looking forward to jumping in, I've had high hopes for this project since the kick starter happened and I believe in the end it will be an excellent game.
You don't have to wait, everything is patched (except maybe some silly and irrelevant translations).
The game is good, it's fun, but the story could have been better and two sidekicks you get a bit too late to make them useful. The whole thing starts strong but somewhere in the middle it becomes somewhat of a chore because of certain trashmobs respawns - note that not everything respawns, but some trashmobs do and past midgame those some block passages you want to move through a few times thus you can't avoid them like elsewhere.
IMO this is an above average TB game, you'll be playing it for at least 30 hours and it's price is a steal.

Anyhow, if this is the first game from that studio, can't wait for their next one.

Last edited:
Thanks for the link. Yeah, the tiny font might kill it for me, fi it's not adjustable.

Yeah, currently working on the review.

I agree to Joxer here for the most part. It's a decent turn based game, which has some issues and the RPG aspects are rather slim and basically limited to story profiles and a bit of item progression.

The state of the game, besides of several typos in the english translation, is rather good and the developers are not just removing bugs with their frequent patches but also adding new quality of life features as the combat speed slider, and most recently a better map for the city.

One of the core issues I have with the game is that there is no need to optimize combats. What I mean by that is that besides of 3 boss battles and maybe a couple of trash fights, there are hardly any fights were you really need to have to do great planning to beat them. On the other hand, there is no incentive (besides on achievement of not having anyone unconscious during the whole game) to actually have good combat results in most fights.
So whether you just take 10 damage on one character…or 3 of your guys are unconscious and your main character barely stands at the end of the combat - it doesn't matter, as you can heal for free most of the time.

So even on hard (which was called "normal" before), the game isn't really hard, and lots of the fights aren't really a challenge in any way.

The combat speed slider was a great addition though to pass these "easy" fights quicker, but also to adjust tactics. As repeating fights is a thing you will do a lot.

And I am not talking about the respawns of Enemies Joxer was talking about. Actually I don't think I had many combats against respawns.
What I mean is that - while the game has no random factors like a damage range or crit - the game has a wide range of quite intricate abilities, both on your side and on the enemy side and in combination with the AI, it's very hard to really plan ahead.
So what you do instead is taking a look at what the enemies do in their first moves, and then you restart the battle (there is an option for that) which allows you to not just reposition your guys at the start of the fight, but also change the active characters (you can only take 4 of your 7 characters into any fight, with the two last ones Joxer mentioned feeling a bit pointless) and your loadout.

And the loudout is actually another big thing: Grimshade almost has no loot.
It has crafting loot which is the main loot and quite pointless. The stuff you craft barely makes a difference and I never needed it.
It has consumable Ether which is kind of a XP replacement which doesn't really work great.
And it has "normal loot". This is highly specialized equipment.

Every piece of armor is only for one character. Every weapon even replaces one skill of your character with another one.
For example, the first staff your character Alister has, does 10 points of dmg to a single target, gives a debuff (which then causes additional dmg on second hit, and at some point stuns the opponent, especially in conjunction with another item), but it gives a character cooldown of 10 time units.
His second stuff, does 16 damage on 3 enemies which are in close combat and next to each other, but has a longer delay and it doesn't have a debuff.

So you actually might want to use both staffs. The 10 dmg one in Single enemy fights, or fights with spread out enemies, and the 16 dmg one in battles where the enemies are positioned right for that.

So every time, you need to check what the best options are. But then again, as I mentioned - only to a certain degree. Winning most battles isn't hard, and then it mostly doesn't matter if you do a good or bad battle as long as you won.

And even though this might all sound quite negative, the game is actualy fun to play. The combat is fun for the most part. It got nice graphics, great music, a decent albeit weird story. Just the ending was a bit disappointing.

In the 100% system I'd probably give like a low 70% rating.
Personally I enjoyed it a bit more than Banner Saga (1) as their resource management pissed me off and I didn't their split story.
On the other side, for pure tactical combat, I think Tahira is the better game. That one didn't really bother with any RPG elements besides of a story and some character profiles though.

Thanks, Kordanor. That works as a review for me.

OBJECTIVE REALITY according to Joxer: PHONE GAME | !PHONE GAME

Back
Top Bottom