Cyberpunk 2077 - E3 Trailer

When I say it, I'm only talking about the setting. Not any gameplay mechanics.

I'm no expert on GTA ( played last few once, done and done), but it's pretty much a very obvious satire/USA. And color palette/art style is sort of brown'n'grey style/realism.
CDPR's Night City seems a lot more vibrant with different elements..those megabuildings for one, are obvious Judge Dredd influence. Also we've only seen two major areas of the game ( which are less tech advanced/rundown).

We'll have to see how much of a RPG this game will actually be. I'm hopeful, because the potential is very high, but all they show are pre-recorded clips with shootouts, vehicle pursuit, and now a smuggler barter gone wrong, all in very cinematic fashion, which is the style of Rockstar's big baby.

To me it'll matter more the actual gameplay than whether I can choose the name or the eye colour of the character (although that is also important). The most positive thing I take from this video besides the flashy eye candy is that one of the associates of the fat smuggler seemed to be some kind of mage/rigger/technomancer, and that might indicate class choices or at least playstyle choices for the player.

Keeping my fingers crossed.

I've never played the PnP game, but I have the agree with Bobo that this looks very Cyberpunk to me. I'm talking about the general term Cyberpunk not the IP.

I'm pretty sure that, this game being based on Cyberpunk 2020 ruleset as well as being released in 2020, there is a subliminar message somewhere… :p

Shooter or Action RPG, as along as I can deactivate the floating damage numbers over opponent's heads I will be happy.

Still no gameplay whatsoever. I hope this game will be more The Witcher 2077 than GTA 2077.

Never understood this comparison. How are the two similar, aside from taking place in actual city ( and both companies put emphasis on worldbuilding/realism)?
GTA has no char customization, stats, skills, perks, dialogue options, branching quest paths, little c&c, rpg mechanics/levelling, etc, etc…and it's entirely designed around third person perspective.
Except for driving and "city", the two games couldn't be more different.
Also a lot of people are unfamiliar with PnP game/setting and immediately think Cyberpunk=Bladerunner.

I'm no expert on GTA ( played last few once, done and done), but it's pretty much a very obvious satire/USA. And color palette/art style is sort of brown'n'grey style/realism.
CDPR's Night City seems a lot more vibrant with different elements..those megabuildings for one, are obvious Judge Dredd influence. Also we've only seen two major areas of the game ( which are less tech advanced/rundown).

The trailer for Cyberpunk 2077 strikes me as GTA skinned-over with a generic 80s retro-future, but hey, that's just me --William Gibson June 10th, 2018.

Because, what, it's in a city environment? You have an incredibly low threshold for similarity.
No, it's more than that. "Setting" was probably the wrong word to use, basically what I meant was everything other than game mechanics. It's not just the locales but also the interactions, the activities that are happening in the trailers seen so far, general appearance/attitude of the characters, etc. It's hard for me to fully explain, but if even William Gibson agrees (as Lucky Day posted after my post), I'm pretty confident I'm not totally off in the weeds here.

BoboTheMighty mentioned earlier that people who are saying this might be unfamiliar with the Cyberpunk PnP game, and for me that's certainly true, but let's be honest, William Gibson defines cyberpunk (with the lower case "c") more than the Cyberpunk PnP game ever has. In fact, it's his works that were a large part of the inspiration for the PnP game.

Who cares what William Gibson thinks? He sounds resentful about the attention that Pondsmith and Cyberpunk are getting. I probably would be too if I were him.

Almost everyone who responded to his tweet disagrees with it.

Who cares what William Gibson thinks?
Not you, apparently. But he's far more of an authority on what "cyberpunk" is than CD Projekt is, and I'd guess more of an authority than everyone who replied to that tweet as well. And certainly more than you and I.

I really couldn't care less what he thinks. I'm a huge fan of his books but that doesn't mean i think he's good at judging games, i doubt i'd trust him to give me advice of which music or what wall papers to get either.

He has 100% right to express his opinion though and i can see how it's not to his liking, if asked he'd probably say he doesnt' particularly like his Neuromancer either these days.

Not you, apparently. But he's far more of an authority on what "cyberpunk" is than CD Projekt is

I'm pretty sure Mike Pondsmith would disagree. The game is specifically based on Cyberpunk 2020 which William Gibson is certainly no authority of. :)

I get that some fans of the genre still worship Gibson because he wrote a cyberpunk-themed book 35 years ago, but saying he's an authority in this matter is like saying Ridley Scott is an authority because he directed Blade Runner a full 2 years before that.

What peasants? I don't need it, later today I'm gonna preorder the game on gog.
Twitch streamers can wait for august. :D

EDIT:
Now I see there is cdprojekt coupon if preorder this week… And of course everything CP2077 related except varsity jacket is already sold out.
For god's sakes. I'll need to rush home otherwise I'll lose even that jacket.

I'm pretty sure Mike Pondsmith would disagree.
Mike Pondsmith would disagree that William Gibson is a bigger authority on cyberpunk (lower case c, as I said) than CD Projekt is? I very much doubt it. Why would he think that a video game company is a bigger authority on cyberpunk than one of the guys who created the genre that his Cyberpunk PnP game is based on? That's ludicrous.

I can only hope that you meant Mike Pondsmith might disagree that William Gibson is a bigger authority than himself (Mike Pondsmith). But I never made that claim, and I've got no clue what Mike Pondsmith's position on that would be anyway.

Mike Pondsmith would disagree that William Gibson is a bigger authority on cyberpunk (lower case c, as I said) than CD Projekt is? I very much doubt it. Why would he think that a video game company is a bigger authority on cyberpunk than one of the guys who created the genre that his Cyberpunk PnP game is based on? That's ludicrous.

I can only hope that you meant Mike Pondsmith might disagree that William Gibson is a bigger authority than himself (Mike Pondsmith). But I never made that claim, and I've got no clue what Mike Pondsmith's position on that would be anyway.

Well if by authority you mean someone people think about, listen to, or even is asked/paid to contribute he is certainly no authority at all.
No one mentioned or heard about him during the 5 years this game was developed until that unsolicited tweet. And that tweet was about games (also an authority?), and a genre he has not contributed to since 30 years.

Back
Top Bottom