The Sinking City - First Reviews

Even if the game sux, as long as it's on PC I'm buying. Because:
This game contains mature content recommended only for ages 18+
No I don't care they stole Hitchhiker's Guide idea and advertised Lovecraft whatever, everyone does that anyway.

Anyone dismissing this before playing it obviously isn't a fan of Lovecraft. This will be a day 1 purchase for me. It's not as if June has had much to offer us anyways.

I'm not that type of fan. Being fan of his actual works is something that stays on it's own, every second game waving his name is seriously getting on my nerves.
At least this time it's not ESRB teen crap.

I'm not the biggest Lovecraft fan, but I'm a pretty hardcore DnD fan and that doesn't mean that Sword Coast Legends wasn't shit. I don't have time for 3/5 rabble, much less that come with forceful Epic Game Store cancer.

I'm currently playing Vampyr at the moment and I like it so far (I'm only 3-4 hours in, though). This game gives me the same feeling, I'll be sure to check it out once I finish Vampyr.

I bought it in the Epic store and have invested a few hours - I am a Lovecraft fan and play desktop CoC, so perhaps I have overly high expectations. My feelings are mixed at this point…
+ atmosphere is great
+ the investigation mechanic is interesting
+ story is interesting
~ combat is OK (I didn't expect anything complex)
-exploration….most of the buildngs cannot be entered…and reward for exploring (so far) is not that great
- city is populated by walking, silent non-respnsive NPC's, seems very ''dead".
- dying has no real consequence - you just respawn
- sanity losses seem a bit arbitrary (but you can munch a pill and get sanity back).
- skill tree is boring. Nothing really 'mythos' related.
- NPC's sometime pop into existence ….I thouht that was an hallucination, but I think not!

I was hoping for someting like CoC: DCotE…it shares similarities, but that game was just vastly better (based on what I have seen so far).

Last edited:
I bought it in the Epic store and have invested a few hours - I am a Lovecraft fan and play desktop CoC, so perhaps I have overly high expectations. My feelings are mixed at this point…
+ atmosphere is great
+ the investigation mechanic is interesting
+ story is interesting
~ combat is OK (I didn't expect anything complex)
-exploration….most of the buildngs cannot be entered…and reward for exploring (so far) is not that great
- city is populated by walking, silent non-respnsive NPC's, seems very ''dead".
- dying has no real consequence - you just respawn
- sanity losses seem a bit arbitrary (but you can munch a pill and get sanity back).
- skill tree is boring. Nothing really 'mythos' related.
- NPC's sometime pop into existence ….I thouht that was an hallucination, but I think not!

I was hoping for someting like CoC: DCotE…it shares similarities, but that game was just vastly better (based on what I have seen so far).

I'm surprised how we're able to start the game, even though it releases tomorrow? Weird.

One thing that surprised me was how big the city map is. Pretty huge for an adventure game.

No I don't care they stole Hitchhiker's Guide idea and advertised Lovecraft whatever, everyone does that anyway.
What?

I love Lovecraft. Still waiting for an isometric, turn-based, non-adventure-style Lovecraft game. (might be waiting for a long time)

I'm surprised how we're able to start the game, even though it releases tomorrow? Weird.

One thing that surprised me was how big the city map is. Pretty huge for an adventure game.

If you pre-purchased on the Epic store you got access 48 hours earlier.

The city map is big, but feels rather empty since only the streets/waterways can really be explored (with a few key buildings that are plot relevant and others there for looting). That coupled with the silent crowds makes it feel very odd.

Sounds like it could have done with a bit longer in the oven. Still, if we're saying the atmosphere is great, and it's likely to be enjoyed by Lovecraft fans, I'll definitely give it a whirl.

I'm always a bit skeptical of Lovecraft adaptations, as I think the nameless ineffable horrors are best conjured in the mind, from the page, and physical representations never quite do it justice.

I'm always a bit skeptical of Lovecraft adaptations, as I think the nameless ineffable horrors are best conjured in the mind, from the page, and physical representations never quite do it justice.

I agree. I also think that's exacerbated by the fact that most of the video game adaptions we've received so far were a bit heavy on the jank.

Back
Top Bottom