Outward - Review @ PCGamesN

Relentlessly defending it? Please provide evidence and quote those posts. I was merely telling the truth about the game. See this is the funny type of responses I get from you, Couchpotato, JDR, etc.. As soon as I say I like something and start answering questions about it, I'm a fanatic, I have blinders on, I'm fanboying. It's hilarious. It's good to know I have fans but shit, you guys are just getting pathetic at this point.

Something I've noticed is that some people like to give other people a hard time in an effort to be funny or at least to enjoy themselves. When everyone is friends this can help build a better friendship, and be funny to onlookers, but when that's not the case then the people giving a hard time often just seem like mega-jerks.

This isn't anything new but lately this has been increasing all over the internet in my view, and I wish they'd just lay off and let people enjoy what they enjoy. Unfortunately, the people doing this often don't even see it as any sort of problem.

On this particular site it often occurs when someone likes something "too much," unless that something is in the right niche of specific games.

I am enjoying your comments about Outward. I might get the game at some point though I'm going to be a while still on Pathfinder: Kingmaker.

Good review, pretty much nails it, this game is meh at best. And from those 80h the devs bragged it takes to finish it, half you spent running into an empty world.

Something I've noticed is that some people like to give other people a hard time in an effort to be funny or at least to enjoy themselves. When everyone is friends this can help build a better friendship, and be funny to onlookers, but when that's not the case then the people giving a hard time often just seem like mega-jerks.

This isn't anything new but lately this has been increasing all over the internet in my view, and I wish they'd just lay off and let people enjoy what they enjoy. Unfortunately, the people doing this often don't even see it as any sort of problem.

On this particular site it often occurs when someone likes something "too much," unless that something is in the right niche of specific games.

I am enjoying your comments about Outward. I might get the game at some point though I'm going to be a while still on Pathfinder: Kingmaker.

Thank you bro, I appreciate it. It does seem to be a sort of psychological envy almost, like a "this person is too happy, it makes me jealous and I want to cut them down" sort of thing. It does happen a lot on the internet, and strangely enough I could word a post precisely to where it's not overly praising a game yet still get those types of remarks. I think misery loves company, and if you aren't miserable other miserable people get upset somehow and want you to not be as happy as you are. Doesn't affect me in the slightest, I still get the same excitement from gaming as I did when I was a kid and enjoy all the same. Glad you're considering the game and also playing Kingmaker, which is another gem. I have to say Outward is incredibly addictive, I just can't seem to put it down these past few days. :)

You can't just swing a greataxe and then immediately stop mid-swing to block.

This always bothered me in demon souls, which is the complete opposite iirc. For instance, enemies can change direction of their swings until very late in the animation. This means you better dodge as late as possible even if it seems they can't turn realistically anymore to face you. Because they can, and it looks odd (not sure if it was the same for blocking). :) This is part of the dodging style of combat of course and just a choice to make. There is something to say for both. Coming from Risen, that seems more like outward, you also could not change or cancel a swing (and often you were interrupted by a faster opponent).

I like to read your thoughts on the game too btw. Happy to see you enjoy yourself.

This always bothered me in demon souls, which is the complete opposite iirc. For instance, enemies can change direction of their swings until very late in the animation. This means you better dodge as late as possible even if it seems they can't turn realistically anymore to face you. Because they can, and it looks odd (not sure if it was the same for blocking). :) This is part of the dodging style of combat of course and just a choice to make. There is something to say for both. Coming from Risen, that seems more like outward, you also could not change or cancel a swing (and often you were interrupted by a faster opponent).

I like to read your thoughts on the game too btw. Happy to see you enjoy yourself.

Thank you my friend. :)

Yeah, you have to commit to your swings in Outward. If you mash buttons and then quickly try to block, you're out of luck. I like how the combat feels, especially when you stagger opponents after their impact bar has been depleted. I find that not locking onto the enemy helps actually, you can move better and get better angles. That said, I'm terrible at the combat and the game is really hard for me. I must have "died" 20 times or more already, and the game does not play around in that regard. Still having a blast though.

One thing I really dig is the ginormous world and all the dungeons and interesting things you can find and see. I know once I get some decent gear and can actually survive in those places, I'll be exploring some really neat areas. The dungeons I've already visited and cleared have been fun too. Glad to see many dungeons in the game.

Hmmm I think we are blowing this out of proportion a bit. I for one am perfectly happy and do not covet your happiness or desire to make you miserable for company’s sake. I just pointed out what I perceived were some flaws and we got in a disagreement? I called you a fanboy (my bad) and it went from there. I withdraw my silly name calling and apologize. I do think however I’m entitled to an opinion however wrong you think it is. But I’m the end peace bro!

Another phenomenon I've noticed is that sometimes a person will have such a hardline view over something that they feel the need to contest any statement or opinion that doesn't fall in line with that view.

It often leads to that person unnecessarily repeating similar things over multiple posts to people who are trying to express their own opinion or even just making an observation.

That in turn leads to a backlash against that person which they decry as some kind of unwarranted attack against them and use it to play a victim's role.

Most of that could be avoided if more people could just learn to accept that not everyone likes the same things.

Another phenomenon I've noticed is that sometimes a person will have such a hardline view over something that they feel the need to contest any statement or opinion that doesn't fall in line with that view.

It often leads to that person unnecessarily repeating similar things over multiple posts to people who are trying to express their own opinion or even just making an observation.

That in turn leads to a backlash against that person which they decry as some kind of unwarranted attack against them and use it to play a victim's role.

Most of that could be avoided if more people could just learn to accept that not everyone likes the same things.

What an awfully ironic post. By the way, you've asked two people to stop posting on this site in the space of a couple of days now... and not for any real reason, it's just been people talking about games, and more to the point, the actual content of games, not any politics surrounding games. If you object to people having alternate opinions to yourself to quite that degree then...

Yeah, talk about repeating things, Ego Man aka Mr. House JDR repeats himself all the time and doesn't accept anyone's opinions. I'm open to anyone's opinion but I was correcting the record for what I felt was false information being posted. If you want to quote me the posts where I was intolerant to other's opinions please feel free and show me. I think there's some projection going on there.

Hmmm I think we are blowing this out of proportion a bit. I for one am perfectly happy and do not covet your happiness or desire to make you miserable for company’s sake. I just pointed out what I perceived were some flaws and we got in a disagreement? I called you a fanboy (my bad) and it went from there. I withdraw my silly name calling and apologize. I do think however I’m entitled to an opinion however wrong you think it is. But I’m the end peace bro!

Peace to you too bro, it's all good in the hood.

What an awfully ironic post. By the way, you've asked two people to stop posting on this site in the space of a couple of days now… and not for any real reason, it's just been people talking about games, and more to the point, the actual content of games, not any politics surrounding games. If you object to people having alternate opinions to yourself to quite that degree then…

Nothing ironic about what I said, my old crusty friend. :)

I have no problem with other people stating their opinions as long as they can accept that other people might not share them. If I asked someone to stop posting then they probably did a lot more than just state an opinion.

Yeah, talk about repeating things, Ego Man aka Mr. House JDR repeats himself all the time and doesn't accept anyone's opinions. I'm open to anyone's opinion but I was correcting the record for what I felt was false information being posted. If you want to quote me the posts where I was intolerant to other's opinions please feel free and show me. I think there's some projection going on there.

No projection on my part..

Fluent when I say nothing I mean literally 5 minutes walking around in purple grass with nothing to scavenge. Plants, herbs nothing. But I’m not knocking the game just posting and observation. The game surely has a lot of empty open space. Meaning literally empty.

You played 5 minutes dude. There are things hidden everywhere, it's far from empty. I have over 10 hours played and my pack is bursting with cool loot. It is a very rewarding exploration game much like Gothic/Risen/ELEX. 5 minutes is not going to give you any kind of worthwhile information about the game, at all.

Please fluent - we appreciate your feedback but when you've stated your opinion and someone states a opinion that differs can you please just skip the reply button if you already stated a contradictory view. I haven't played the game yet but from the reviews I've read there are a few people that feel as you do but plenty of people who have the same view as Todd.

Todd played 5 minutes, lol. But whatever. I just find it funny that whenever I say I like a game I get the usual responses, but someone plays for 5 minutes and it's time to take that opinion seriously. :rolleyes:

Todd didn't have to respond to me like he did. All I said was to check the reviews and opinions on Steam, they are positive. And I get hit with the "we know you like it Fluent, blah blah blah" that everyone responds with when I post I like a game. It's stupid.

I'm the only poster here who as soon as I say I like a game, people tell me I'm fanboying. You guys are dumb. I guess I have a lot of fans though. Hate on. :cool:

Fluent I did only play for 5 minutes but I also said the combat seemed OK for the brief fight I was in whereas plenty are reporting it as clunky. But I also observed a whole ton of empty landscape to run around in. It’s pretty clear to me in just 5 minutes that the game is going to have lots of running around doing “not much” as part of adventuring. So not a lot of playtime true but that’s what I observed and I really don’t think I was being unfair. For the record my nephew (also at PAX) who has some experience with the game laughed when I mentioned all the walking around and said basically you have to play for an hour to accomplish basically anything in Outward.

Well that's simply not true. It's evidenced by the 77% Positive reviews on Steam. But hey, whatever floats your boat. The world is big because there are survival elements and you have to use campfires, gather ingredients, use alchemy, etc.. No, it's not a play 5 minutes and accomplish something game (who wants that?). But I could never play a game 5 minutes and think I'm qualified to say that the game seems empty or make any conclusion at all about it in that time.

Fluent why are you quoting stats to “disprove” my observation that there is a significant of empty space & walking around? I never said I disliked the game or that I wasn’t going to buy it. I complimented the combat. I was making an observation not an indictment. Going back to the start of the thread there are a few posts mentioning essentially the same thing. For the record I plan to purchase this game.

So what? Every open world game has walking. What's your point? Actually walking in this game is important as you have to manage your health, stamina, food, thirst, warm/cold as you walk, so something is always happening. I almost just froze to death on my last adventure, I barely trudged into the Cierzo city inn and restored myself. So no, there is no point in the game where "nothing is happening".

There's more, but I think people can get the point.

And what exactly do they prove? I was clearing up false information based on a five minute playtime. You on the other hand I've seen repeatedly stating your opinion on Epic for example and constantly putting others down just in different words. Take a look in the mirror before casting stones bro.

And what exactly do they prove? I was clearing up false information based on a five minute playtime. You on the other hand I've seen repeatedly stating your opinion on Epic for example and constantly putting others down just in different words. Take a look in the mirror before casting stones bro.

Yes, you were telling ToddMcF2002 what he did or didn't observe. Good job.

Yes, you were telling ToddMcF2002 what he did or didn't observe. Good job.

Exactly, because he played five minutes so I had to clear things up a bit. You Ego Man just repeat yourself endlessly and don't accept any opinions other than your own. If Todd had played for awhile and had that opinion, cool, I wouldn't have to explain why he was wrong.

You better check with Fluent first and make sure he likes p-corn. If he doesn't, there will be multiple posts explaining why you're wrong for eating it.

Back
Top Bottom