Monkey Island Remake

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Look here : http://www.starwars.com/games/videogames/news20090601.html

I've got mixed feelings over that ...

At least it's kind of a step of LucasArts seeing that their "ye olde adventures" still have at least *some kind* of potential ...

But something inside of me wishes they would fail, because they axed this whole genre from their portfolio so long ago (several years now).

Alrik

Telltale Games made an excellent job with Sam & Max.

Actually, it's two completely different games - ones a remake of the first Monkey Island by Lucas Arts and the other is the Tales from MI from TellTale. Both sound quite exciting, I've always though I'd like Monkey Island, but I am not really into the old interface, and while I was hoping for a new Sam and Max announcement from TT (I know it will come eventually), they'll do a damn good job with this game. I like their stuff.

it looks like LucasArts are following the money, after seeing the success of Telltale Games they're trying to profit from nostalgic gamers. i'd prefer to throw my support behind Telltale Games for doing all the hard work, virtually resurrecting the adventure games genre all by themselves.

I'm good with the thought of this classic coming back and new episodes coming along ...

it looks like LucasArts are following the money, after seeing the success of Telltale Games they're trying to profit from nostalgic gamers.

I tend to agree.

Though TellTale did not resurrect the adventure genre as such. Here in Germany this "resurrection" is going on much longer and stronger - it's a limited market, of course - it's a bit as if in Germany the time had stood still.
Not completely, of course, because there of course has been a deep valley as welll, but here in Germany there were always more adventures than in the world outside, so to say. dtp did a fairly good job with that, everyone recognizes them as "the adventure company" throughout Germany. Drakensang was their first bigger hit in a different genre.

The only drawback is that international markets don't seem to respond that much to this genre. I think this has to do with what kind of games are popular nowadays. As I always say, it's "the age of action".

There are hints that this might also be a generation kind of propblem. Younger generations of gamers (seem to) want games that aren't only more accessioble, but also aren't too demanding concerning the brain.

Though TellTale did not resurrect the adventure genre as such. Here in Germany this "resurrection" is going on much longer and stronger - it's a limited market, of course - it's a bit as if in Germany the time had stood still.

Adventure games have seen a resurgence in the US as well, but I think TellTale has really hit a popular note that others haven't.

more than the game itself, marketing budget plays a crucial part. that's why even TellTale had to revive an existing franchise to entice the non-adventure gamers. This in turn has enabled the appearance of games in the similar genre. one game i had been looking was: A Vampyre Story but i had to pass because of limited gaming time.

actually i didn't realize that adventure games had been moving along well in Germany but i guess this could have been a niche market.

but anyway, if i'm not mistaken, LucasArts had repeatedly ignored petitions by adventure gamers to make yet another SW games. in any event, i hope that it's a case of better late than never.

Clone Wars cartoon series is doing well enough to have gotten another season (lost me early on) ... the DS Clone Wars game last year was crap, Force Unleashed was meh, so I hold out little hope for a great new game coming from them.

Found a video : http://e3.gamespot.com/video/6210375/

I instantly HATE Guybrush's new haircut !

Highly interesting is imho that one will be able to switch from new look to old look & vice versa ...

I instantly HATE Guybrush's new haircut !
Yeah, what is it about the new Guybrushs (MI3+) and their hairdo. I liked his hair in MI1, I liked his hair in MI2, but beyond that is just began to look fugly (not only his hair). And now it continues to look very odd in the special edition.

So far that's about the only thing I don't like about the remake though. Everything else - yummy!

You know what they say, Hair today- Gone tomorrow!! :)

@Arhu: I had no problems with his hair in MI3, don't remember MI4, because I erased it too much from my memory (worst game of the whole series).

But THIS ... abomination ... just looks like ... an iceberg stranded on a head and then turned yellow. Especially on the cover.

... getting awfully fired up over a hairstyle ... ;)

I don't have a wife ...

I liked his hair in MI1, I liked his hair in MI2, but beyond that is just began to look fugly (not only his hair). And now it continues to look very odd in the special edition.
He had hair in Monkey Island 1? All I saw was two pink sprites which was his entire head. ;)

He had hair in Monkey Island 1? All I saw was two pink sprites which was his entire head. ;)
The beauty of pixel art. :ahoy:

navhead.gif

And one from part 2:

skeletondancemi2.gif

Always loved that scene!! :)

Back
Top Bottom