The ever-popular "Currently Listening" thread

New Pet Shop Boys single

The Pop Kids
Good music, but the lyrics were pretty awful. Not the singing, but the words themselves. A far cry from Love Comes Quickly, Suburbia, and even It's a Sin.

I agree the spoken rhythm was definitely off on the first few lines. The rest is fine.

They've always tried to squeeze too many words into their verse. It's been both off-putting initially as well as a part of what makes them ultimately endearing, to me at least. :)

Last edited:
And who can forget this classic from 1992. I almost did. Features Kate Bush of all people. Not sure if I would call this techno or trance or sampletastic? Piano plus Kate. Samples Cloudbusting, another of my favorites.

Utah Saints ‎– Something Good

And another, my gosh, this is beyond classic for me. Possibly one of the BEST garage house tunes from back when? 1991

Reese Project - Direct Me (Joey Negro Disco Blend Mix)

And youtube did it to me again. Fun techno/house set by the master Kevin Saunderson (one of the originators of techno form Detroit) and his son

Kevin Saunderson Boiler Room Chicago DJ Set

Last edited:
Going back a few years for a classic that apparently got another printing recently:
"Fall" by Sway

Listening to a five hour music mix video on YouTube.

The Best of Epic Music 2015 | 5 Hours Epic Music Mix | 96 Epic Hits
Enjoy the ultimate 5 hours Epic Music Mix, with best epic music of 2015 from many brands/composers: Two Steps From Hell, Audiomachine, Gothic Storm, Epic Score,..
It pairs well with late night fantasy book reading.

Check this out! Lush is putting out new music. Gotta love that.
"Out of Control"

Well that's pretty fantastic. :)

Another guilty pleasure. Piano house vocal taken to the Nth degree. Great vocal (think Seal) and nice bass line too.

Ronni Simon - Take You There - 1994
and another great version, less frantic
Ronni Simon - Take You There (Playboys Vocal Mix)

This one brings back bittersweet memories. Early euro house remake of a KC and the Sunshine Band song from 1992. Reached #1 in the UK.
K.W.S.- Please Don't Go (Sunshine Mix)

One more classic. This was pre-trance, but has the right elements: echoing vocals, piano breakdown, chirpy birds, choral synths, percolating keys. Back then it was considered techno. But it's very floaty for techno. It's the beginning of trance.
Opus III - It's a Fine Day - 1992

Last edited:
Another one for the memories…
Livin' Joy - Dreamer (Original Club Mix) - 1994
This one has that Rollo style organ goin' on. But it's early vocal euro house without a doubt. Techno elements too.
This remix from a DJ remix service is much more interesting with piano bits but suffers from being done from vinyl originals.
Livin' Joy - Dreamer (Direct Hits Remix)

And their second hit. Real positive stuff. Love the Rollo style organ mixed with piano and that bass line. :)
Livin' Joy - Don't Stop Movin'

And another trance classic!
Grace - Skin on Skin (Direct Hit Remix)
And the fantastic instrumental version with more going on!
Grace - Skin on Skin (Orange Mix)

Another great song from the period (1997'ish). A trance vocal.
Zee - Say My Name Again (Direct Hit Remix)

And yet another from then
Sasha & Maria - Be As One (Extended Mix)

I've hit a gold mine. One more great one. Lots of memories from this.
Lorraine Cato - Love On & On (Direct Hit Remix)

youtube is just taking me down memory lane today. A great garage house vocal from back then. A bit jazzy, with piano, and organ, the way I like it.
Lorraine Cato - I was made to love you (Mark's Full On Vocal)

Finally, another classic (I think) of vocal progressive house / trance from 1997
Jayn Hanna - Lost without You (Evolution's Main Mix)
Amazing piano / chorus break.

Last edited:
An EPIC remix by Brothers In Rhythm of Bruce Hornsby. Lots of piano work amongst swirly synths and percussion. Brothers in Rhythm was one of my favorite remixers back in the day.
Bruce Hornsby - The Way It Is (Brothers In Rhythm Remix)

and one of their classic compositions from '91. Lots of piano goodness plus techno.
Brothers In Rhythm - Such A Good Feeling (Inspirational Delight Mix)

Hah! Another classic I had forgotten about. From 1992. Piano and Techno. Early progressive house.
Gat Decor - Passion (12" Mix)

Back to Brothers in Rhythm, this one is a classic from 1994. "Swing" house, with a great vocal.
Judy Cheeks - Reach (Brothers in Rhythm Club Mix)
Another great song from Judy, this one Rollo'esque and garagey with lots of bangin' piano. Fantastic.
Judy Cheeks - Respect (Bottom Dollar Club Mix)

OK this is it for Friday and if weren't for the leap year, for February, too.
This song brings a BIG smile to my face. Pretty much the ultimate in happy vocal piano house. From 1995. Really a toe tapper.
Dana Dawson - 3 Is Family (Dancing Divaz Club Mix)

Last edited:
I have been absent for a while and...wow! Thrasher posted a few good 'ol Trancey/Dancey sounds. :)
Keep it up Thrasher!

I used to post Trance music, but then I got ... :D
So, I watched a great Anime series(Mushishi), and the music in it is magical. I got hooked on it. Have a listen to Masuda Toshio-Oki Tsu Miya , Masuda Toshio-Umi Sakai (Unasaka) Yori , Toshio Masuda-Tabi wo Suru Numa , Toshio Masuda-Rinkou.
The soundtrack is very captivating, to me,it is like a divine gift from above.
Hope others enjoy as well, who ever listens to it.

Well, that was very nice! :D Perfect for a Sunday morning.
As for Anime, my absolute favorite tracks (if quite different) are
The Paprika Parade and Living Inside the Shell. But I'm pretty sure I already posted them somewhere…

Well, that was very nice! :D Perfect for a Sunday morning.
As for Anime, my absolute favorite tracks (if quite different) are
The Paprika Parade and Living Inside the Shell. But I'm pretty sure I already posted them somewhere…

Both tracks sound great!
I am yet to watch Paprika, it's on the list for too long. :)

So, I watched a great Anime series(Mushishi), and the music in it is magical. I got hooked on it. Have a listen to Masuda Toshio-Oki
That reminds me of another song so very much, but I can't place it. Very Nice! The others, too! :) Although one is not viewable in my area.
As for Anime, my absolute favorite tracks (if quite different) are The Paprika Parade and Living Inside the Shell.
Cool! I like the first one! The second one, also not viewable in my country. :( I wonder why…
Caught a Ghost - Can't Let Go: I discovered these guys a few months ago, but am grooving pretty hard today on Anthony Perkins in the no-budget official video, made of public domain clips from the Orson Welles version of The Trial.

Nice! I should see the movie too. :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom