Roguelike Mega Collection - 700+ free games

Arhu

Two Sides
Staff Member
Administrator
Reddit moderator and roguelike curator foamed released a torrent containing 700+ free roguelikes. As lots of variants or minor games are no longer available elsewhere, this will make sure the included games are protected from vanishing altogether.

The bundle contains over 700 free and/or open source roguelikes, there might be a few free roguelites as well. This bundle mostly contains Windows executables, if I had added the same games for Linux and Mac OS the size would've almost tripled, but I might make a combined Win/Linux/Mac OS bundle at some time in the future. The size of the torrent is already at about 6.8gb.

It does not include any illegal or pirated content, if there's a paid version of the game it's not included, only free games are featured. If you do however find any or don't want me to share your game then please let me know and I'll get right on it.
Full list of included games.

More information.

And in case you don't feel like trying out all those games on your own just to find out which ones are good, the author also has some recommendations:

foamed said:
If you just want top ten recommended then check out:
  • Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup
  • ADOM
  • ToME v4
  • Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead
  • Brogue
  • NetHack
  • DoomRL
  • Angband
  • IVAN
  • UnReal World
Some other recommended titles:
  • Caves of Qud
  • Infra Arcana
  • POWDER
  • Elona+
  • The Slimy Lichmummy
  • Infinite Cave Adventure
  • Wayward
Some recommended Angband variants:
  • Sil
  • Tome 2
  • Quickband
  • FAngband
  • Poschengband
  • PWMAngband
  • Zangband

It should also be noted that some games might be donation supported. As there are sadly no sources included in the list, I'd recommend visiting the official websites for the games you play (if they still exist) in order to support the developers or get updates.

Last edited:
Tome v4 and UnReal World look interesting. Anyone played those? Impressions?

I never really got into roguelikes, but I tried both of them a little. From what little I played them, I remember ToME being a bit too grindy for my taste, and UW, which I liked a bit more, I remember as extremely deep and complex, but really slow in the beginning. I tried them both long time ago, so things might have changed in the meantime.

I've recently been playing some of these:

ADOM was quite fun and free is frozen now. Need to pay for updates now but free still good.
TOME, I didn't like at all for some reason.
CDDA is good and still getting lots of updates. NPCs are idiots but still fun game. Possibly my favorite of the list.
AngBand has a QT version which was quite playable and gives a better UI I think if ASCII is too much.
Unreal World isn't much right now in my opinion. But then its possible beginning is too slow.
Elona+ looks good but I never progressed very far.

Didn't notice Armok 2: Dwarf Fortress - Adventurer mode can be fun especially with the dfhack and history viewer tools as support.

I think the biggest reason i never got into roguelikes is the complicated control scheme. For example, in DCSS there are separate commands to go down and up the stairs, which to me seems needlessly complicated. Can anyone suggest a roguelike with a more, hmm, modern controls? Being tile based instead of ASCII also helps, but it's not that important.

I've played and won Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup, fun game but you gotta have a lot of patience in regards to dying, you'll die a lot. Didnt win ToME, but it was fun for the most part also.

ToME 4 is my favorite roguelike. You can also get it on Steam. http://store.steampowered.com/app/259680/

I have played over 100 hours of ToME 4. The graphics and animations are much better than most. Also you can log on to a chat server while you play and are able to link items and ask questions which makes it a bit more fun.

DCSS is also fun but the graphics are standard roguelike with no animation or sound. It is my 2nd favorite roguelike.

@Ivanwah. The controls of both ToME 4 and DCSS are pretty easy. ToME 4 being a bit better.

I have zero interest for this.
Never quite understood fascination over roguelikes. Too simple code for my taste: get RND(x), if x=0 player instadead, else get RND(x).

I have zero interest for this.
Never quite understood fascination over roguelikes. Too simple code for my taste: get RND(x), if x=0 player instadead, else get RND(x).

That is pretty much a summation of most video games. I can understand the apathy though. Have you ever tried Wazhack? That is probably the most fun and interactive roguelike there is.

Out of curiosity is there such thing as a group/party based roguelike? Or is that counter to the genre? Would love to try that type of game out if there is such a thing, does anyone know?

+1 for Wazhack, I remember playing a free version on Android which was quite limited, but I still had a ton of fun. I so wanted to buy it, but paid apps and in app purchases were not available in my country at the time. I might give it a try again some time soon.
Oh, and I will give ToME another shot too.

Not really.

Yes really. It's just that other games tend to be more forgiving and, due to their high amount of randomness, success in roguelikes is more dependent on luck than in other games. I can't count how many times my party got wiped because a powerful enemy scored a critical hit in Baldur's Gate for example.

Played them for a while, but they're a pretty one-dimensional experience despite all the clever little details. It just got old.

ToME is very good. It's a little more modern feeling with influences from games like World of Warcraft with its coloured rarity loot, cooldowns and action bar of moves. It does have "auto-explore" which keeps the game pace up and saves you a lot of keystrokes and deaths from impatiently holding the button down to run. A lot of the races/classes start out locked and you'll have to find the quest/secret to unlock them with starter classes first.

Unreal World is more about survival than dungeoncrawling. It sounded great but I didn't really get into it. Lots to learn. It's just not very fun. Still, I feel the same way about Dwarf Fortress so maybe give it a chance if you're keen.

My pick of the bunch is Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup. Best game ever.

Out of curiosity is there such thing as a group/party based roguelike? Or is that counter to the genre? Would love to try that type of game out if there is such a thing, does anyone know?

nah, not really. I've played a few forgettable MMORPG kinda games with blocky grid movement, but nothing that really feels like a roguelike in its exploration/progression.

A diablo clone like Path of Exile is probably the way to go.

Back
Top Bottom