RPGWatch Feature: Two Drakensang Reviews

Yes, Fenris is right, but I'm also in a visitor's book. Within the game. I haven't read my name there, but I've seen a screenshot of it in the official forums. :)

If you want faster walking and other fixes, check this:
Ergo's Fixpack v1.70

Are there any issues with it? Faster walking sounds great as do some of the changes, when you say not all of them will take effect unless starting a fresh game is that only the character skill modifications or is it everything else?

If you *only* want faster walking, then you might use a mod that specifically adresses that. I know that there exists at least one, from the German-language community in the official forums, but I haven't been in the English-language community there for a looooong time, so I don't know about their developments.

If you *only* want faster walking, then you might use a mod that specifically adresses that. I know that there exists at least one, from the German-language community in the official forums, but I haven't been in the English-language community there for a looooong time, so I don't know about their developments.

I'll have to check that out - I would like faster walking, but not really anything else.

Some of the other stuff sounds good . . . not entirely sure about all of it, some fights are tricky already without adding to it, I do however like the sound of some of the shakeups for treating wounds & using whetstones & the like (at present I just can't be bothered using them).

The faster walking can easily be hacked by hand on WinXP. All you need is a certain SQL editor and the correct command.

Things might be different on Vista though.

Yes, Fenris is right, but I'm also in a visitor's book. Within the game. I haven't read my name there, but I've seen a screenshot of it in the official forums. :)

wow, i had no idea that you were a star Alrik!

This game seems like a must-buy for me, thanks for the great reviews Gorath and Corwin, I might have passed this one up if not for you guys giving it such an enthusisatic thumbs-up.

What was the one pain point you mentioned in the 60 hours of steady enjoyment?

...Combat did tend to become tedious, especially towards the end of the game and most noticeably during a particular ‘kill the rat’ campaign....

I really loved the rat. Tried it with a rather low level and it was a long long fight. I rather felt like a raid leader in a mmo than playing a single player game.
Think drakensang offers nothing spectacular or new and it's certainly no milestone in rpg history. Nevertheless it's fun and i played the game several times with different characters and think i'll do it again.

What was the one pain point you mentioned in the 60 hours of steady enjoyment?

One of the maps somewhere in the middle was way too big. Running back and forth got out of control. The content itself was quite interesting because you had to choose a side in a local conflict, but it was so much walking, I only wanted it to end.

…Combat did tend to become tedious, especially towards the end of the game and most noticeably during a particular ‘kill the rat’ campaign….

I also think less would have been more sometimes. A dungeon level less, less rats, spiders, etc.
Surprisingly Radon Labs said in a new interview that they were constantly cutting content, working on reducing the size of the maps, etc. and they still ended up at 80 hours.

One of the maps somewhere in the middle was way too big. Running back and forth got out of control. The content itself was quite interesting because you had to choose a side in a local conflict, but it was so much walking, I only wanted it to end.

You mean the Blood Mountains ?

I actually liked it, rather because it was so big … but on the other hand, I just love free-roaming … ;)

The only drawback there were the occational [re-spawning ?] bandits still lingering there …

Back
Top Bottom