The Quest - Brash Games Review

Aubrielle

Noveliste
The Quest gets a whopping 9/10 score from Brash Games, citing the game's nostalgia factor, as well as an "addictive, rewarding adventure".

What some may see as archaic, dated design, I personally see as charming and refreshing. The Quest strives to plough its own unique furrow and in an ocean of charmless copycat clones, The Quest stands out as a pretty unique throwback to the old school RPG days of yore; it’s a game very much comfortable in its own orcish skin. Though, some may be perturbed by The Quest‘s old fashioned exterior, there is a deep, addictive and rewarding adventure to embark upon if given the chance.
More information.

More information.

I voted The Quest best 2015 RPG.

Looks like open world, turned based, old school kind of like Daggerfall and Might and magic had a baby. Single player not party though and with a decent an modern looking UI. I didn't even see this at Steam. It looks tempting and sort of addicting.

I'm going to eventually give this a shot when I have time to buy/play it.
Pasting a random steam review that seems to hit a few points.

"Be prepared for spending many hours exploring, fighting, playing cards in the Taverns and eventually solving the main quest of the game. I finished the game in just under 40 hours, however I still have more of the map to explore, and want to play as a full Mage class on my second run of the game.

Difficulty is very well balanced in the beginning and middle game. At the beginning you feel powerless, as you should, but gain a few levels and things begin to even out. Still you will be have to use strategy to defeat your foes depending on your build. My physical fighter had some difficulty with magic based attacks…higher level enemies in particular can destroy you especially with lightning attacks. Still there are many ways to buff your character to overcome this.

My only criticism is I felt the end game was a little too easy. In the game you can enchant items buffing your stats considerably which does take away some of the challenge. Enemies don't scale to your level (which I like), and you get good satisfaction slaughtering enemies that gave you trouble in the early game. Be wise with your money…I ended up with just over 4000 gold at the end game after amassing over 20000 gold throughout the game.

So yeah this is a pretty special game, that will appeal to those who enjoy turn based combat, grid movement and games like the early Might And Magic series. I really look forward to the sequel and if possible an expansion to this game would be a great addition. The Quest is a first class game from beginning to end."

I would agree that the end of the basic game seemed quick and very easy, imo. Should we ever get the expansions, I'd hope they'd be a bit more challenging in the end. Still was a great deal of fun for a solid two weeks for me.

Question for someone who has played it. Do you HAVE to play the card game, or can it be put aside for adventuring?

Also in addition to Embolus's card game question, does character creation allow gender choice?

Card game- It is NOT mandatory. I haven't touched it in 10 hours of play.

Gender - YES! Gender is an option at creation.:)

I find it a good break from slaying things and searching the streets. And you can eat a bit of money, too. Reminds me the addictive card game of M&M VII taverns -this one is not so good.

Arcomage :) That was a genuinely fun distraction from all of the adventuring in MM7. Good times!

I think I've definitely read enough good positive vibes from Watchers that this game will likely hit the spot. And so to the steam wishlist it has verily gone...

Best UI I have seen in grid-based games ever! Just beautiful. Also the game is developed in my country soo that means even more LOVE! :) Patches are coming out steadily, so the developer cares a lot too!

I hope it will come to GOG. I almost bought the game from the developer a few years ago. I remember I liked it, but I could not even finish the demo because of some bugs.

I've always wanted to play some of the "old-school" games that The Quest is clearly inspired by, but was never able to get past the archaic U.I.'s and poor visuals. So I am definitely intrigued by this!

A question for those who've played it: Does it have much in the way of narrative? Or is it primarily combat/exploration?

I've always wanted to play some of the "old-school" games that The Quest is clearly inspired by, but was never able to get past the archaic U.I.'s and poor visuals. So I am definitely intrigued by this!

A question for those who've played it: Does it have much in the way of narrative? Or is it primarily combat/exploration?

It has a very lose narrative. I didn't find that aspect of the game that strong to be honest....it's dungeon exploring is good though as well as walking around the world.

It has a very lose narrative. I didn't find that aspect of the game that strong to be honest….it's dungeon exploring is good though as well as walking around the world.

Ah darn, that's basically what I expected, but I was holding out hope for a good story and characters too. Oh well, I guess this would make a good pick-up when I'm burned out on more story-centered games and find myself in the mood for adventuring.

One other positive thing that caught my eye: In one of the steam reviews I quick-read, it mentioned quests having multiple solutions. Is this pretty common throughout the game? If so, that would definitely make up for not having a strong story.

I love Might and Magic games so I think this can really be a game for me and everyone is praising it so I'll have to give it a try soon. If only I wouldn't be playing Darkest Dungeon…

The only thing I don't like is that you can't make a party, but well, I've been stalking their forums and it looks like the will work on a sequel where you'll control a full party. Great!

Somethiing that also came to mind is that they could be a good developer for a Heroes of Might and Magic like game in the vein of the classics pre Ubi. Nice 2D graphics, light hearted fantasy not taking itself that seriously, more focus on mechanics than visuals… That would be something I would certainly be interested in kickstarting!

can you break those walls with cracks? or are just "for show" :biggrin:

Back
Top Bottom