Wasteland 3 - Officially Announced

I don't know how profitable inxile is these days; but my guess is that they use the kickstarter to gauge market for their game. If there is a lack of interest then they might feel the risk is too high to make the game without alternative source of funding.

My ethical bounds prevent me to monetize what you call the deception while it's - exaggeration.
Inxile's ethical bounds, and I bet yours too, are different than that. If selling a mother earns $, let's do it ASAP.

I said what I need to say, and won't return unless Inxile cuts it out of the project.
Wasteland 3 will in my opinion be just another irrelevant MMO. As such, it's funding process won't see a dime from me. Whoever believes I'm making a terrible mistake can correct it with their wallet by backing the project with some more $ than planned so the MMO project ends successful.

Worth reading:
Five common reasons game marketing is misleading

Backing games is not charity and I'm not sure where that came from. I certainly wasn't implying that. I am just saying that game developers who create these types of games which are far out of the mainstream, barely making a profit compared to larger companies, etc., deserve support from people like us who enjoy them. If you don't have money to support them, prop them up with a comment or a video, etc.

It's weird to me to see all these "I won't back this because x, y, z." sense of entitlement and spoiled brat-ism, as if there are so many great RPG options out there that resemble these old-school styled games. Newsflash - Kickstarter made the old-school RPG cool again and viable again, bringing us some great games and future games to come. If everyone had a shitty attitude about it then why should these devs even try to make a game like Wasteland 2, or 3, or D:OS, or Pillars of Eternity, or countless others? Chances are they're not even going to make that much money off it. Might as well just make an Angry Birds clone so that way no one has to back these 'shady' devs on Kickstarter. And God forbid they make a dollar off their work.

I for one hope that they do make some good money off these types of games so they can continue to bring them to us. I'd much rather play a cool, old-school style PC RPG that was made possible by Kickstarter than the majority of AAA titles.

Well, the thing is that if you do buy the game in the kickstarter stage you do have a chance to improve the game. If you buy it 6 months after it is done, you'll not affect the game at all, you may however of course affect the quality of the next game. Because with projects with companies like InExile or Obsidian, there is low risk the project will not be made if they do get the kickstarter money asked.

I'm not interested in being a game developer or having input on the development process. As I've stated - if somebody is, great! They can do that. If somebody prefers to wait 6 months after release for a more finished version? Great! You have that option.

Truthfully I find a get more enjoyment going into a finished game than I do following the dev process.

High, high up in the mountains of the southwestern
Wasteland 3 will in my opinion be just another irrelevant MMO.]

You're being deliberately obtuse, or you're just ignorant. The game is not going to be a MMO with tens/hundreds/thousands of players in an online persistent world. It's going to have MP element where some friends can get together and play through the campaign, that's it. So either quit lying about the game or just educate yourself as to what the MP component of the game really. Calling the game an MMO is just dumb at this point, and ruins any credibility you might have.

I have to agree, not sure why he is on that crusade, but Wasteland 3 is not an MMO, not even close.

I usually enjoy reading joxer's posts, but he seems off the rails on this one.

Maybe this election season, where both candidates and the mainstream media, seem to pump out a new fabrication, lie, or ridiculous exaggerations every other minute, and pretend its the gospel truth, is starting to influence even some good posters at rpg watch...:p

Are you guys sure this should be filled under "tactical" RPGs? Thought this was reserved for stuff akin to Jagged Aliance or Knights of the Chalice (which I don't care about hence had "tactical" stuff filtered out of the frontpage), instead of the more well-rounded RPGs that Fargo is trying to sell.

Anyway on topic, I would have potentially backed this, even got 5$ off as a previous backer, if Torment was as good as it better be but since that was delayed to accommodate consoles I'll either back later or buy after the first few patches (probably no Director's Cut since InExile are lining themselves up with console-friendly development).

Wouldn't developing for consoles be a good thing, since they will A. Hopefully make more money to fund future RPGs like this and B. Maybe turn some people on to good RPGs in the process?

WL2 was one of my favourite games of the last 5 years. I will back this in a heartbeat.

Back or it or not, it's your choice, but shaming people for not doing the same as you is just silly. There's no moral high ground to be had here. I can understand why some people don't like crowdfunding games in general. That's fine. Someone has to buy the games after release, too. I can also understand the reservations about this particular game some have regarding the MP / immediate console versions (even if I think some are seriously overreacting / jumping to conclusions). Just wait for release, read some reviews and decide if you want to buy it then. Whatever.

The reality is WL3 is going to raise a crapload of money if inXile's previous crowdfunded game are any indication. They will be just fine with or without your $25. Hell, even if you're wealthy / crazy enough to throw $10K at a game you're really excited about, that is still 0.001% of the budget of a game like this.

If I was wealthy, I'd probably contribute to a lot more crowdfunding campaigns, and maybe even $10K to a few I was really excited for (in addition to giving much more money to worthy charities). However, I wouldn't contribute that kind of money to the likes of inXile, Larian, Obsidian and not because I dislike those companies, but because it would almost be insignificant.

It's the tiny indie studios that could really use the money the most, and sadly people are least likely to back them because they're deemed higher risk. If I could have afforded to do so I would have gladly given thousands to Copper Dreams, Eisenwald: Blood of November, Vigilantes, and other small indies I've backed. In those cases, several thousand bucks make a huge difference as it could actually mean the difference between being able to pay for additional music, art, voice acting, etc.

But this sort of campaign isn't so much about the money as.. community involvement. inXile likes getting feedback from fans early enough in development that they can actually use it to make changes. I don't think that's a bad thing. I just wish more people would help the little CRPG developers (who may actually need money to simply finish their game) a bit more.

Last edited:
Anyway on topic, I would have potentially backed this, even got 5$ off as a previous backer, if Torment was as good as it better be but since that was delayed to accommodate consoles I'll either back later or buy after the first few patches (probably no Director's Cut since InExile are lining themselves up with console-friendly development).

The official reason for the delay was localization. Which honestly makes sense as the game is over a million words and the translation starts only after they've finished writing it. While the cynicism isn't exactly unwarranted, this console business being the source of the delay is still pure fan speculation.

The official reason for the delay was localization. Which honestly makes sense as the game is over a million words and the translation starts only after they've finished writing it. While the cynicism isn't exactly unwarranted, this console business being the source of the delay is still pure fan speculation.

No the official reason for last delay is so game is released on all platforms simultaneously.
So yea the console release is guilty party.

The reality is WL3 is going to raise a crapload of money if inXile's previous crowdfunded game are any indication. They will be just fine with or without your $25. Hell, even if you're wealthy / crazy enough to throw $10K at a game you're really excited about, that is still 0.001% of the budget of a game like this.

If I was wealthy, I'd probably contribute to a lot more crowdfunding campaigns, and maybe even $10K to a few I was really excited for (in addition to giving much more money to worthy charities). However, I wouldn't contribute that kind of money to the likes of inXile, Larian, Obsidian and not because I dislike those companies, but because it would almost be insignificant.

I disagree. Every $25 or $10k not only helps them make the game but it shows that people are interested in this type of game. You are putting your money where your mouth is and showing everyone that you will support games that are made like this. It's far from insignificant.

I do agree that if I was more wealthy, I'd also support a lot more in the same way you would. But I would also contribute money to the companies you named as well because they could use it. They may be larger than your one person indie developer but they are far from a major player like Bethesda or EA, etc. So I think they could still use as much help as the fans of their games can give them.

I'm not interested in being a game developer or having input on the development process. As I've stated - if somebody is, great! They can do that. If somebody prefers to wait 6 months after release for a more finished version? Great! You have that option.

Truthfully I find a get more enjoyment going into a finished game than I do following the dev process.

Even if you are not interested in taking part of the development process, paying them in advance will give them a bigger budget to finish the game, which could mean higher quality. If you buy the game 6 months after the release, you might support their next release, though, but you will also get a lower budget game.

How quickly people seem to have forgotten that 5 years ago we were not getting anywhere near the number and variation of cRPG's we are getting now and that is due to people backing kickstarters or other crowd funding platforms.

Every dollar counts and if everyone thought the way some people in this thread did these games would simply not be getting made and we would be stuck with our Witchers and Elder Scrolls and the occasional indie gem like grimrock.

People never get enough: they wish for more and more. Indeed, being stuck with a dozen or more high quality product offer was not enough, they prefer to be overflooded with conceptual products, dragging develpppment time and pretense to restore what is not restored (like good old gameplay)

Even if you are not interested in taking part of the development process, paying them in advance will give them a bigger budget to finish the game, which could mean higher quality. If you buy the game 6 months after the release, you might support their next release, though, but you will also get a lower budget game.

Nope. Crowdfunded projects do not balance their budget toward the completion of the product but toward purchasing as many work hours possible. Working longer without no goal other than working as much as possible does not mean getting a better product.

Another point is KS as one stage through the funding process. Releases will come afterwards to work as promotional events to raise more funds.

It might be a SEA release later on that brings more funds etc Even what is told to be the last release is actually one promotional event to raise more funds to buy work hours and the developpment goes on.

Some crowdfunded projects even repackage the initial concept into something else to release and raise more funds to buy work hours.

How quickly people seem to have forgotten that 5 years ago we were not getting anywhere near the number and variation of cRPG's we are getting now and that is due to people backing kickstarters or other crowd funding platforms.

Every dollar counts and if everyone thought the way some people in this thread did these games would simply not be getting made and we would be stuck with our Witchers and Elder Scrolls and the occasional indie gem like grimrock.

So very damn much this. Agreed.

And I almost feel bad for Chien for being THAT cynical. Or rather, I would if it weren't all BS to me.

I know I backed it:)

As did I. I liked WL2 alot, and suspect I will pretty much love Torment and BT4...for 28$ this is a no-brainer for me.

Back
Top Bottom