Skyrim Skyrim Special Edition

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
I'll be replaying it as well but I will be waiting for mods to be made compatible with it.

I will also replay Skyrim, but I don't really care about the special edition. As far as I can tell, there isn't anything that it does that makes a difference for me. Outside of CBBE, I don't try to "pretty up" my game. I'm going to avoid Bnet as much as possible. It is to the point where I like Bethesda games but am not a fan of the company anymore.

I will also replay Skyrim, but I don't really care about the special edition. As far as I can tell, there isn't anything that it does that makes a difference for me. Outside of CBBE, I don't try to "pretty up" my game. I'm going to avoid Bnet as much as possible. It is to the point where I like Bethesda games but am not a fan of the company anymore.

Yeah my interest in the special edition is that it's 64 bit not the graphics upgrade.

Those graphics honestly look subpar… with a handful of mods, my game looked better four years ago. But I guess it's a good thing for new console owners - ie., the target audience of this latest cashgrab.

I just installed a new 1070gtx card, so I'll be looking to run Skyrim one last, boredom-inducing time. I certainly won't be bothering with this new edition, however, as I truly doubt that the mod authors who moved on with the game months, years ago will be coming back to update mods finished long ago (all for the sake of deferring to Bethesda bean counters).

Last edited:
The guy sounds like an irritating shill, who reckons the forests are now more "immersive" than real-life forests. :rolleyes:

Well others might be jaded, but i'm very much looking forward to booting up the PS4, relaxing on the couch and losing myself to a couple hundred more hours in pretty Nord country.

My currently installed modded Skyrim looks better than what was shown in the video. :/

I'll be curious to see how the modders take to it. Some of the new effects should take some of the load off ENBs, and 64bit is a big plus, but I bet they'll be grumpy about all the stuff it breaks.

I'm surprised many here are complaining about graphics. The graphics improvements are for console gamers not PC. The draw for PC players is the 64 bit exe. And the impact that can have with memory and mods.

I'm surprised many here are complaining about graphics. The graphics improvements are for console gamers not PC. The draw for PC players is the 64 bit exe. And the impact that can have with memory and mods.

Yes and no. An upgrade to a 64-bit exe would only benefit Windows 7 users if the engine is still DirectX 9 because Windows 10 simply can not use more than 4GB in DirectX 9 games regardless of whether you have a 32-bit, 64-bit or hypothetical 512-bit exe ;) . Windows 10 is always 4GB only if/when DirectX 9 is involved.
It has not been 100% confirmed to this day AFAIK that the renderer has been upgraded to DirectX 11. It is very likely because some of the new graphics features are supposed to be requiring DX11 but who knows... maybe Bethesda kind of "grafted" the effects on top of the DX9 engine with workarounds.
If the renderer is still DX9 then the 64-bit exe will do pretty much nothing for Win 10 users so let us hope that someone can confirm DX11 beyond a doubt real soon (does this YT guy say anything about DX9 to DX11 in his videos?).

Yes and no. An upgrade to a 64-bit exe would only benefit Windows 7 users if the engine is still DirectX 9 because Windows 10 simply can not use more than 4GB in DirectX 9 games regardless of whether you have a 32-bit, 64-bit or hypothetical 512-bit exe ;) . Windows 10 is always 4GB only if/when DirectX 9 is involved.
It has not been 100% confirmed to this day AFAIK that the renderer has been upgraded to DirectX 11. It is very likely because some of the new graphics features are supposed to be requiring DX11 but who knows… maybe Bethesda kind of "grafted" the effects on top of the DX9 engine with workarounds.
If the renderer is still DX9 then the 64-bit exe will do pretty much nothing for Win 10 users so let us hope that someone can confirm DX11 beyond a doubt real soon (does this YT guy say anything about DX9 to DX11 in his videos?).

Good info, I was unaware of the win 10/dx9 limitation. Thanks.

The only memory issues I ever had in a fully modded Skyrim was that of VRAM, which should now be rectified with my new overkill 8gb gfx card. The memory overflow crashes experienced with too many NPCs or world cells in the buffer was fixed long ago via Shesom and SKSE.

I'd love to see a properly working copy of Skyrim (new or old) ever use more than 4gb system memory - truly, I would.

Well, to clarify: Under Windows 10 and DirectX 9 Skyrim can only use exactly 4064MB of video RAM which consists partially of VRAM and partially of allocated system RAM so even if you had a 6GB or 8GB VRAM card it would do you no good on Windows 10 as long as Skyrim is DirectX 9.

Basically this...

DirectX 9 + 32-bit exe:

- Windows 7: Full VRAM but only 3.xGB system RAM
- Windows 10: 4064MB VRAM max and 3.xGB system RAM (minus whatever is also allocated by the video RAM through DirectX... there is an overlap)

DirectX 9 + 64-bit exe:

- Windows 7: Full VRAM and the sky is the limit
- Windows 10: 4064MB VRAM limit, and as far as system RAM goes, the sky is theoretically the limit but it is hampered by the 4064MB limitation

DirectX 11 + 32-bit exe:

- Windows 7: Full VRAM but only 3.xGB system RAM
- Windows 10: Full VRAM and only the same 3.xGB system RAM

DirectX 11 + 64-bit exe:

- Windows 7: Full VRAM and the sky is the limit
- Windows 10: Full VRAM and the sky is the limit

The official video has probably been "pimped" slightly ;) .

Thanks for that clarification, Moriendor - I never ran into those issues because I was working with within my old video card's 2gb limit.

The situation with DX9 is worse than it looks. Dx9 also mirrors a large amount of the VRAM in system RAM. So, combined with a 32bit exe in Skyrim, it creates major problems for heavy modders. As you fill the VRAM with textures and such, the RAM is also filled, and you soon hit the 4GB limit of the 32bit exe.

Despite having 186 hours I spose I should pull my finger out and finish the current edition then.

Back
Top Bottom