Pricewatch!

uPlay is the worst of them all. Promised to write before, but…
I dare to say uPlay is worse than horrible GWFL.

1. uPlay is down? No game.

2. uPlay is down and the game can work as has offline mode in it? Yea… But online parts still don't work as to Ubi uPlay is like dedicated all games server.

3. Game just got released? Forget download/play for next few days. uPlay is down.

4. Bought DLC somewhere else (GMG, GamersGate, etc) and not on uPlay store? To Ubi this means: FU, go download it from those sites, y'can't do it from uPlay (I can post more detail how to "fix" it if anyone is interested).

5. This is corrected in AC4 where you can trick uPlay into downloading additional content with verify option that doesn't exist for older titles which is yet another problem in the case the installation is corrupted in those older titles like AC2 for example.

6. The only positive thing: uPlay points you get by playing games and can unlock additional game content with them? 100 points = 20% off on next uPlay store purchase. Since that additional content are usually wallpapers and bloody horsearmor, you'll grab the discount ofc instead of crappy free DLC.

Can we keep this as 'Pricewatch'?

If there is a need for a separate 'Digital Distribution Pro/Con' thread ... make it.

Like I've said many many times, there will never be a game that I need so badly that I'd ever use either Origin or Uplay. E V E R. They flat out suck, and years later I still swear it was the Origin platform that killed my laptop. Lesson learned the hard way.

Steam's got a free weekend of Skyrim. I imagine everyone here who wants it, has it.

Thanks. I often see roguelites passing by on YouTube or giantbomb. Some look quite interesting but I always forget the names... What are the ones with playing on that list, I prefer some polish, good graphics and a proper ending.

Rogue legacy does look to have a bit outdated graphics.
Edit: I take it back. It looks pretty nice.
As well as dungeons of dredmor, the pit

Last edited:
Nice sale.

Anyone play Tales of Maj'Eyal? Any good?

It's been a while, so my memory of the details is really fuzzy, but I quite liked it. It feels more like a proper game than most roguelikes, if that makes any sense.

Tales of Maj'Eyal is a fun game, but relatively difficult so you have to have some patience in regards to dying and starting over. Combat is not particularly complicated but there is a ton of content and the game world is interesting if you dont mind the relatively minimalistic graphics.

Thanks for that informative post, Cronis. That's a game I've been on the fence about, but by saying there is a ton of content in an interesting game world, well, I will pick it up for sure now. :)

Thanks for that informative post, Cronis. That's a game I've been on the fence about, but by saying there is a ton of content in an interesting game world, well, I will pick it up for sure now. :)

You can still get it for free on his website if you just want to try it out.

http://te4.org/download

Buy it if you like and want to support the guy.

It's pretty well polished for a roguelike and has a lot of variety and content. Is a long lost descendant of Angband if you ever tried that.

-kaos

You can still get it for free on his website if you just want to try it out.

http://te4.org/download

Buy it if you like and want to support the guy.

It's pretty well polished for a roguelike and has a lot of variety and content. Is a long lost descendant of Angband if you ever tried that.

-kaos

So you can buy it on Steam or download it for free from the developer's website??? That's an..........interesting business model.

I haven't checked if the steam and free versions are the same. You might get more on steam but I honestly don't know.

//shrugs

-kaos

Well, too late as I already bought it. For less than $3, it's money well spent. I'm sure I'll get some enjoyment out of it.

I tried to get into Angband on my PSP awhile back but didn't know what the heck I was doing. Hopefully this one is a bit easier to get into. :)

Now that I'm not suffering from a crippling headache, I can talk about ToME a bit more. I think the free version might not have some of the races and classes as the full version, but it's cheap enough that you might as well buy it and support the creator.

It's a lot more like a normal RPG than most rougelikes, with a wider world, more NPCs to interact with, quests, and towns. There's a world map to navigate, with dungeons, castles, towns, and various things to visit. I can't remember much about the classes now, but I remember there being quite a lot of variety and some interesting abilities. Same thing with the races.

It's also a lot more forgiving than most roguelikes, and I think you can set it with several different death levels. I remember the default I went with was a set number of lives, with more you can earn through various ways. It's nice to not lose hours of play on a character due to one missed keystroke or bad combat roll.

Definitely worth a look, even if you don't like roguelikes.

GoG has another load of Star Wars games, and a great sale to go with it!

Back
Top Bottom