Sapu - magical dark action RPG game

sprajt

Watcher
Hi RPGWatch community!

For over 2 years, with three magicians (one responsible for graphics, one for programming + a young and talented composer recently joined us) we're working on our first serious title - Sapu. It's a top-down, action RPG game with dark atmosphere, where sometimes running is an option :)

giphy.gif

Play as a supernaturally gifted young boy and save humanity from evil that endangers the world. Explore ruined and grim locations, discover the mysterious story, develop elemental magic skills and fight against the most creepy beasts we can imagine!

Recently we entered a Steam Greenlight, where you can read more about the game. If you like it, please vote!

Steam Greenlight Link

The game is being developed in Unity for PC (+ Linux - if possible). If you are interested in demo, head over to sapugame.com and subscribe to our mailing list (at the bottom of the page). We'll send some demo keys whenever we'll feel that we need your invaluable feedback!

If you have any questions feel free to ask! Thanks :)

The game has been greenlit! Thank you all who voted for Sapu and see you soon! :)

New locations, scary monsters, new features and spells…

giphy.gif

For the last few months we've been quiet about development of Sapu. Now we can start revealing new stuff :) Expect bigger summary what's going on next week!

Hi!

Let’s summarize what happened with the development of Sapu lately!

Cave, a new location

SphericalSourBird-size_restricted.gif

We’re building a set of levels which will occur in dark cave. Here, we want to play around with the lightning as there will be very dark and you as a player will have to be smart about it. Not going too manly, lightning up torches and piles or predicting enemies behavior. The levels are still in development.
A Toxic Bug will remain as one of your enemies in this environment. You can see how the process of creating this monster looked like:
bug.png

Aesthetics changes
As Unity introduces new features related to rendering and post-processing effects, we decided to create unique visuals for the game. We want the world to be more grim and sad to set up the mood, but stay with effective spells performed by Sapu, as he brings the light in those hard times…

The style is not yet finally defined so check it out here and let us know if that’s a good direction:

Energy-based Save Game mechanism
TornSpicyEel-size_restricted.gif

Finally, we’ll introduce the save game mechanism. I say mechanism because we think it is not a common setup. You can save the game if you have enough energy. You gain energy by exploring or killing monsters. One save game takes 50% of full energy, so basically you can have max 2 of them and you need to think twice whether you should save it now, or save it for later.

Feedback adjustments
You guys requested, we will deliver. Here are some of the things that repeated in your feedback and we already implemented:
● Isometric view
● Keyboard movement
● Settings (controls and video)

Team growth
Our team has expanded with few more teammates! We’re very happy to have them on the board as they help us tremendously to make the best game possible for you!

What’s next?
The plan is to finish the demo till 22th of October and send it to internal testers to check whether there are some blocking bugs etc. Then it will be sent to all of you who have subscribed to our newsletter on sapugame.com

At the same time, we’ll work towards improving cave locations. Other than that we still have other tasks to do like:
● Storyline
● Character development (with sort of "soul itemization")
● Spell upgrades and balance

Thanks!

New demo coming up!

6ed.jpg

Finally, we established the date for the long-awaited new version of Sapu demo! Other than features described in my previous post (like energy-based Save Game and new camera), you'll be able to check a new combat system, with 2 new spells! :) The build will be sent to all of our subscribers at sapugame.com on 28th of January, 2018!

Combat system

One of the issues that we discovered, was that players tend to run away from enemies too much. Especially when fighting Larissa, the common tactic was to just run away from her and wait for all the cooldowns with almost no risk. Now, when the fight will begin, Sapu will have to go into combat state. This will slow him down and you'll need to manage cooldowns more wisely, which should be much more fun than simple running around. In order to implement this system we still need to:

● Create new Sapu animations when going into "combat state"
● Implement adaptive music. Whenever fight begins, the tone and tempo of music will smoothly be changed to match what's going on in the game.

New spells

To recompensate slowed down movement speed while in combat, we'll introduce two new utility spells. Performing variety of combos using all the spells will be so fun and rewarding - can't wait! Also, we are working on more powerful spells such as Icewall (this won't be included in demo though). Take a look:
giphy.gif

New monsters

While improving overall gameplay for the demo, we're still working on Cave locations. Here's the progress of work on another enemy that you'll have to face - a big Magma Golem:
Desktop-2017-11-18-14-01-40-538.jpg

Damn, fighting with him will be so challenging. Can't wait to see him in action!

Indie Games Contest

We are participating in FreeGalaktus Indie Contest for the best Indie Game. Your votes will be much appreciated!

How to vote?
1. Go to http://freegalaktus.pl/sapu/
2. Click "VOTE FOR THIS GAME!" (button below screenshots and info)
3. You'll be redirected to the new voting page, go to the bottom and make sure that Sapu is checked
4. Click "I'm not a robot" and vote!

Thank you! This can boost up our development tremendously :)

Can you show something that isn't grey, brown, or black? How about some greens and blues, perhaps?

Here are some greens for you :)
giphy.gif

But bear in mind that the game is still in development and there are several locations missing.

Thanks!

Hi!

Just wanted to remind you that we'll send new demo next week! :)
giphy.gif

The game looks awesome.

One question, as I haven't played it - is the perspective OK for all the testers? I mean, from the trailer it looked a bit low in field of view and I felt a little confused while watching, not sure if that is the case during normal gameplay :)

I had a similar feeling with my own project, and bumping up the field of view + getting camera a little closer solved the dizziness. Or I might just be weird! Cheers and good luck!

Back
Top Bottom