I finished my book! :)

I just had to log on and say gongrats! :) This just put a big smile on my face. Really joyfull to see you accomplish your dream. Enjoy every bit of your moment. Hopefully your first book leads to a long and successfull career as a novelist.

By the way I do recall a thread two years ago or something where you told us about your brand new typewriter. Seems like you have really put it in a good use!

@GothicGothicness; - I'm still jealous of your gamedev skills. I never managed to develop those. :)
@HiddenX; - Ah, you're amazing! Thank you so much! I seriously hope it grabs hold and never lets go. :)
@henriquejr; - Thank you so much! :heart: It's partly because of you that I'm back here, so double thanks!
@Carnifex; - It's so nice to hear from you again. :heart: It really does - and I don't think it's fully set in yet that I'm a published author. And I like that you used the word "opus" because while I've written things that were simply *stories*, this book is so much more deeply personal than that. It's part memoir, I guess, and I tell more about myself in the book - true stories - than I do about plot details I've made up. And thank you for the awesome wishes. :)
@Couchpotato; - Thank you! And this is the one I went to *after* the sci-fi series I tabled (for the moment, anyway). I'm glad I could finally stop talking and start *doing*. :)
@Dez; - You remembered the typewriter! :heart: Yep! My vintage 1925 Corona Four. It's still here, and I keep doing things to mess up the cosmetics. *facepalm* Hopefully now that the book is over I can fix it for good. Tip: Gold leaf is a NIGHTMARE to work with. But anyway, thank you so much - your good wishes put a smile on my face right back. :heart:
@Hurls; - Thank you!! :)

@henriquejr; - Thank you so much! :heart: It's partly because of you that I'm back here, so double thanks!

Much appreciated, I feel honored to know that! And now that you're back, please stay a little longer. No need to hurry and leave us again :)

Much appreciated, I feel honored to know that! And now that you're back, please stay a little longer. No need to hurry and leave us again :)

Agreed. :heart:

I read a few chapters, and while the book isn't for me, it seemed well written and well edited. I'm pretty much a pure fantasy reader so if there is a lot of stuff happening in the real world, I stop reading. The setting is fairly unique as not many books focus on the 1920's.

Well done! I wrote a book once and it sold 236 copies! [or there abouts I can't remember the exact number] So there's a good marker point for you, if you sell 237 then you are officially a more popular writer than lackblogger. Now that's something worth celebrating!

@crpgnut; - Well thank you for at least giving me a few pages of your time! And thank you for the compliment. :) The fantasy elements come in much later in the book - and start to really happen in the second book (which I'm beginning now). My magic system borrows a lot from alchemy and a lot of the sorcery systems in games like Betrayal at Krondor. And I hope nobody wags a finger at me for borrowing too much from Planescape or from Norse mythology. But you're right - for the most part, it is a "real world" setting - I think plotwise the thing that really fascinated me the most was wondering what a truly 1920s sorcery system would look like (though the reason it's set in the 1920s was far more personal - it was based on some really strange experiences I had in college) But again, thank you for reading even a few lines. :) It's more than most of my beta readers did!

@lackblogger; - I will remember that milestone, though I think as writers it's always so important we support each other. :heart: 236 copies, hey! That's nothing to scoff at! And honestly there's no guarantee I'll sell that many, so you may remain the more popular author of the two of us. xD

I think I read 4-5 chapters via Kindle Unlimited. I met both ladies and they were talking about experiences in 2004 iirc. The writing was just fine. I typically don't read books that focus on feelings or emotional experiences and the first part of your book played heavily with those. Not my cuppa, but I can see it having appeal. Hope it does well for you.

I think I read 4-5 chapters via Kindle Unlimited. I met both ladies and they were talking about experiences in 2004 iirc. The writing was just fine. I typically don't read books that focus on feelings or emotional experiences and the first part of your book played heavily with those. Not my cuppa, but I can see it having appeal. Hope it does well for you.

Ah, well no worries. :) The sorcery battles are still a bit ahead of that point, so it might not have been worth sticking around. I really appreciate you going as far as you did! I honestly feel honored that you gave the book *that* long, considering your tastes. :)

Again, thank you!

Time travel and sorcery? Cool. Eternal love that will… wait a minute…

P.S. That photo of you is perfect for Amazon. You're looking right at "Biography" and your name on the author page!

Congratulations! Finishing a book takes grit and determination. You have to keep showing up at the coalface, but the joy of creative inspiration has only very patchy attendance! It's not a constant source of delight. Well done.

Time travel and sorcery? Cool. Eternal love that will… wait a minute…

P.S. That photo of you is perfect for Amazon. You're looking right at "Biography" and your name on the author page!

OMFG :rotfl: Okay I seriously just cackled out loud and my rabbit gave me this "wtf" look :lol:

And I totally never noticed that! xD It was just my standard "author" portrait for my paperback version, but you're right! Synchronicities are always good, I guess… ;p

Spoiler: There's only two kisses. One is in past tense in a memory and only vaguely referred to, and there's a tiny one at the end of the book. The rest is battles and survival and sorcery and blood. ;p

Congratulations! Finishing a book takes grit and determination. You have to keep showing up at the coalface, but the joy of creative inspiration has only very patchy attendance! It's not a constant source of delight. Well done.

Thank you so much! :heart: Hearing my bestie say that I'm her new favorite author was seriously one of those humongous moments. She didn't have to say that - or even feel that way - but I think she meant it and it was big for me. And anytime someone says that I make them rethink something or that the book changed something for them or even that they couldn't put it down, that's also massive. :)

I still don't know if it was worth all the lost sanity, but…eh, I guess sanity's overrated anyway…

Last edited:
Seems pretty good one. I like the main idea of your book. Upd: I checked it again and my opinion hasn't been changed at all. The book is awesome but I think you should add some more details and description of nature/characters. I've just read van gogh starry night analysis and I try to compare now :D I realize that the difference is big enough but notice: if I compare it with your book it means your book is pretty good. Keep going and you will succeed!

Last edited:
Disclaimer: Much Tim Hortons was consumed in the creation of this book...

I haven't read anything solid in months, so i'm looking forward to checking this out. And good to have you back again!

Mariopepper: Thank you! :)

Caddy: Thank you so much! :heart: Please let me know what you think - and if you really dig it, maybe spot me a review on Amazon and/or Goodreads? I'd seriously love you forever. xD :heart:

p.s. Eck! Not much Tim Hortons, but a lot of Crimson Cup (local coffee chain), some Starbucks, Roscato wine, scotch, and a decent amount of apple pie mead from a local meadery.

And more Adderall than I can possibly measure. :sweatdrop:

Mariopepper: Thank you! :)

Caddy: Thank you so much! :heart: Please let me know what you think - and if you really dig it, maybe spot me a review on Amazon and/or Goodreads? I'd seriously love you forever. xD :heart:

p.s. Eck! Not much Tim Hortons, but a lot of Crimson Cup (local coffee chain), some Starbucks, Roscato wine, scotch, and a decent amount of apple pie mead from a local meadery.

And more Adderall than I can possibly measure. :sweatdrop:

Do you think about one more book to write? I'm pretty sure you will make good one again

Apple pie mead?

Mariopepper: I'm working on the sequel now!

Winterfart:
CQA0Z75U8AEdU-o.jpg

It's SO GOOD OMG

Does it taste like cider?
I like cider (my mother is Norman)...

Does it taste like cider?
I like cider (my mother is Norman)…

…maybe a bit? It's difficult to describe. It's a sweet mead (I think they're called a cyser?) so it's rich and sweet and honey-tasting, but the spices add this little bit of sharpness. I guess you could kinda describe the flavor as cider-like, a bit. But cider has its own smooth flavor. So this is like…I guess if you made cider for years and years and years in the same wooden barrel, then you suddenly made mead in that barrel, and you made it with the same ingredients you made cider with.

…if that makes any sense. :S

Edit: Though it definitely smells like cider, for sure.

Back
Top Bottom