Book of Heroes - Review @ Screenrant

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Screenrant has reviewed The Dark Eye: Book of Heroes:

The Dark Eye: Book of Heroes Review - Not An Epic Tale

The Dark Eye: Book of Heroes treads the well-worn path of the isometric RPG, but doesn't manage the excitement or storytelling to make it work.

Dungeons and Dragons has consistently held the top spot when it comes to video game adaptations of tabletop games. Its various settings have been ported to the video game world dating back to the 1980s, while acclaimed games like Baldur's Gate sit as classics of the RPG genre. That's not to say that Dungeons and Dragons is the only tabletop game to make it into video games, with The Dark Eye another example.

The Dark Eye is a tabletop game most popular in Germany, and the setting of Aventuria is one that will feel familiar to fantasy fans. It's full of goblins, elves, and dwarves, with forests to explore and treasures to plunder. However, The Dark Eye: Book of Heroes won't do much to excite RPG players.

[...]

In short it's hard to recommend The Dark Eye: Book of Heroes, as it can't quite justify its place in the market when compared to other RPGs. Although there are nuggets of fun to be found here and there in its dungeon crawling, its lack of complex gameplay and step back from storytelling stops it from being a required purchase, particularly when there are cheaper, older games that provide a more impressive overall package.

Score: 2/5
More information.

Sad! Thanks Obama!

But in earnest, this is what I feared when I first read there would be a new Dark Eye game. This universe has so much potential if done right. One day...

Very upsetting. I was looking forward to this game, but it didn't turn out like I was expecting

I think that review is too negative. I dont own it yet, but I'm not removing it from my wishlist.

What makes you think that?

I think that review is too negative. I dont own it yet, but I'm not removing it from my wishlist.

Steam reviews are currently sitting at 35%, or Negative, with 100 reviews. I think that's the first time I've ever looked at a game with a Negative rating.

Don't know I agree with most neagtive reviews. The game is mediocre at best.
If you are a fan of old-school RPGs or a fan of The Dark Eye, Book of Heroes should be right up your alley. The mechanics are complex enough to require you to know the rule book, the world is expansive enough to have a few playthroughs, and the scope is small enough to make it manageable. However, if you have no intense interest on old-school game design or the franchise itself, I recommend you stay away – the focus on maths instead of heart and soul makes this the kind of niche game that would feel dated 10 years ago, and the end result in modern times ends up being extremely boring.

Every time I hear there's going to be a new The Dark Eye game, I think maybe I will check it out. Then the reviews are always terrible. Oh well.

Sad to see an amazing IP ruined by idiot unskilled developers, who should be all fired and banished to work as plumbers.

Sad to see an amazing IP ruined by idiot unskilled developers, who should be all fired and banished to work as plumbers.

Hey hey hey, now! Plumbers serve a very valuable role in our society!

Back
Top Bottom