Banner Saga 3 - First Reviews

am i the only one that cant stand it?
maybe ashes of the gods or what was it called spoilled me, but im annoyed by the characters , the design as well as the combat and writing , everything seems sub par .. like -20% .
it adds up

No I really like it and thought Ash of gods was good but not as good as this game.

My one issue for now is I can't figure out how to use reinforcements.
Anyone have any hints?

I tried dragging them into the little spaces but it doesn't seem to work for me.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

You drag them. It took me a few tries to figure out where to click but clicking on their portrait and dragging works for myself.

No I really like it and thought Ash of gods was good but not as good as this game.

My one issue for now is I can't figure out how to use reinforcements.
Anyone have any hints?

I tried dragging them into the little spaces but it doesn't seem to work for me.

Like Pladio, I also thoroughly enjoyed Ash of Gods, but find the Banner Saga more to my liking. I'm currently debating whether to replay the first two games before getting into this one, but if I have a moment of weakness I just might fire it up and jump in, after I complete my current game. Maybe.

For a mysterious reason the 2D drawn battlescape is killing my eyes, if I look at Banner Saga battles for 10 minutes. Its probably the total lack of indicating any 3D-depth, no lighting, no hand-drawn shading? Dunno.
A V O I D W A R E

For a mysterious reason the 2D drawn battlescape is killing my eyes, if I look at Banner Saga battles for 10 minutes. Its probably the total lack of indicating any 3D-depth, no lighting, no hand-drawn shading? Dunno.
A V O I D W A R E
It's called Rotoscoping and doesn't bother me. So meh.:p

Link - https://stoicstudio.com/the-banner-saga-animation-process/
Rotoscoping is the process of doing traditional animation, using film footage as a guide. Many people thinks you’re just tracing frames. This is absolutely incorrect. Tracing frames of animation straight-up will look like you traced frames of animation. (For the record, this is one of my favorite bits of animation ever). You can’t just copy the raw footage, and that’s where the skill comes in. A good animator can take a piece of video footage and make it somehow more believable and dynamic than real life. If the animators are good you’ll often see both hand-drawn and rotoscoping in the same movie and not know it. It’s a guide, the same way a character artist may use an anatomical model as reference.

Did you know that most of Disney’s human characters were rotoscoped, including Briar Rose from Sleeping Beauty, for example? You can see that each frame of the animation has been drawn from scratch, by hand. There’s some imperfection between them, and some of the linework fluctuates. It also isn’t as smooth as modern animation, which have the luxury of computational blending between key frames and a higher frame rate. But to me there’s something pretty amazing about this traditional style.

So, that’s the challenge we gave Powerhouse Studios, who happen to based right here with us in Austin. Traditional animation!

A V O I D W A R E

Ha ha ha, you're funny. You say such funny things on this forum. Ha ha ha! We all enjoy your comments so much.

Anyway, while I've yet to play 3, I enjoyed the first 2 and the look is one of the highlights for me. They're some of the more beautiful games I've played in the last few years.

That is a really odd complaint, I find the tactical boards of games such as Banner Saga/Ash of Gods oddly compelling, they not only look good but feel entirely comfortable to me. I'd not noticed the lighting to be poor either.

You drag them. It took me a few tries to figure out where to click but clicking on their portrait and dragging works for myself.

Seems like I was doing the right thing but too early.
In the first fight like that, it's a bit of a tutorial, so I was supposed to press "Fight", then drag and drop.

Go figure...

Thanks though :)

I think in later fights you can actually drag them before you press fight. I'll check again next time I play (finished this morning).

Seems like I was doing the right thing but too early.
In the first fight like that, it's a bit of a tutorial, so I was supposed to press "Fight", then drag and drop.

Go figure…

Thanks though :)

Even Bethesda games are better than Banner Saga games...
Fuck even new Bioware games are better.

wow, one of theworst )) thats strong claim. but i agree, 2 and 3 didnt improve from 1

as for colors, i change the color of my dekstop , dont care much about the applications - at least use f.lux

Because Banner Saga 1 was one of the worst games I played and next two games didn't seem to improve much.
That doesn't really explain anything but alright...

I was hoping for something like :
I don't like the graohics
I don't like the way way the story flows because of x

Banner Saga 2 improved on the first game in a lot of ways. I don't know about 3 yet.

That doesn't really explain anything but alright…

I was hoping for something like :
I don't like the graohics
I don't like the way way the story flows because of x

1. Combat system was terrible. It was simple and initiative system ruined what little was good of it.
2. Caravan management was beyond terrible. You often got a few options that had no rolls behind them or any real explanation beyond a short sentence but would result in death of character or other super punishing results. It is worst kind of Gotcha! gameplay design.
3. You could lose all your villagers and game would continue on like nothing happened, even asking you to sacrifice more of them or food for other benefits and you could even with having 0 villagers and get those other benefits.

My only complaint would be that 3 felt really short to me.

Otherwise, I loved the story, characters, and choices. Combat was pretty much how I like combat in my games.

Not necessarily the best games I've played, but some of my favorites.

Back
Top Bottom