Elden Ring - Update 1.03 Released

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
DSOGaming reports that update 1.03 for Elden Ring is now available and comes in at three Gigabytes.

FromSoftware has just released a brand new update for Elden Ring. Update 1.03 is 3GB in size on PC, features numerous bug fixes and balance tweaks, and you can find its full patch notes below.

Going into more details, Patch 1.03 adds new quest phases for various NPCs. Moreover, it adds NPC Jar-Bairn, and a function to record an icon and the name of an NPC on the map when you encounter that NPC. Additionally, it adds some summonable NPCs in multiple situations, as well as night background music for some open field area.

[...]
More information.

nice improvement from 59% positive reviews at start to over 85% now on steam

I'm very surprised to see new content in the form of the new NPC and new quest phases for some existing NPCs. I've been using the marker that looks like a person to mark NPCs, but way it actually puts their name on the map now is quite useful.

I’m glad to see they fixed arcane scaling. Now I can expand my bleed build. Also glad to see they nerfed the mimic tear ash it was unusable unless you wanted no challenge at all. I had to not use it because it would basically kill the boss itself.

At over 12 million copies sold I guess FromSoft isn’t niche anymore. Expect a lot more souls like games in the future. Hopefully they will be actual soulslikes and not just games people call soulslikes because there hard. There’s more to it than that.

Its a good game. The UI and PC controls are not great but the overall feel is just great. The world itself is just breathtaking

They nerfed my sword:(

Nice update. I'm looking forward to getting back to this after I finish Elex II.

I'm surprised they did all that though but didn't do anything to tweak performance. It would also be nice if they made all the keys rebindable.

Nice update. I'm looking forward to getting back to this after I finish Elex II.

I'm surprised they did all that though but didn't do anything to tweak performance. It would also be nice if they made all the keys rebindable.

I havent played with the patch yet so I’m not sure how much it helps but it does say “other performance improvements and bug fixes” for what that’s worth.

They have since launch. It’s just hard to find it’s in the settings under sound and display.
I mean in-game, in the early parts. Not in settings. (Video seemed to show controller button prompts even when using a mouse and keyboard)

I mean in-game, in the early parts. Not in settings. (Video seemed to show controller button prompts even when using a mouse and keyboard)

Yes, it’s a setting then it will show prompts in game. You have to change it in the settings.

Yes, it’s a setting then it will show prompts in game. You have to change it in the settings.
Ah, gotcha, thanks. That's good. I'm a noob at these sorts of games, and anything that will increase my chances of mashing the right buttons is good. :p

After playing with the patch I got my first CTD and actually had stuttering on the map page. So what ever they fixed has made things worse for my setup at least.

Adding the NPC’s to the map is a nice touch though.

Directstorage is almost upon us. I assume the stutters are little loading hitches so some advanced loading stuff could be good. But I'm also running it off a 7200rpm hdd… With an 11 year old CPU.

They probably can't make good use of dx12. Probably would have run better if they just kept it dx11. I'm pretty sure what we have here is a dx12 "port" since it's the same engine from DS3, BB, Sekiro.

Yea, very curious how the steam overall score was so dramatic in its overall change.

Maybe I'm over-analyzing it, but to me, rising from a bad 59% to a now 87% (and rising!) and an overall "mixed reviews" to "very positive" reviews, should make people think twice about the integrity of the steam overall reviews scores, in general.

The next barrier will be to cross the "overwhelmingly positive reviews" overall steam review score, which I'm pretty sure this game will cross. Remarkable.
To the point of absurdity.

Anyway, as I said, just makes people like me to question the integrity of the steams overall reviews score. And how the steam reviews system can be gamed/manipulated by a large base of fanboys "10 out of 10" type mass reviews. I know steam said they would limit the overall effect of negative reviews when it seemed to be a coordinated thing, but apparently that doesn't apply on the upside.

Anyway, the metacritic PC user review score (the only one that matters, the metacritic overall "professional critics" score is silly and hopelessly corrupt [meaning inflated] on metacritic for most AAA mainstream games) for Elden Ring is at a much lower 6.7, and still considered as overall "mixed or average reviews".

That overall score also, I believe, started from a much lower overall score, but at least it seems possible and not so manipulated, that the game has risen that far, but is still sitting at a pretty lousy 6.7 among users after 2,500 plus user reviews.

For me, I always check the Metacritic user reviews score for PC games I'm interested in, because it can be eye-opening how different the overall scores can be, and I tend to trust it more, because of that. Metacritic seems lower profile for pc games, and not such a target of possible manipulation as the steams reviews score, in other words.

Back
Top Bottom