System Shock 3 - Officially dead

@Redglyph;
Yeah. I think what I said about the lower hardware requirements is true so they're not really making any AAA games that the west would take notice of. Phone stuff definitely makes the most sense because that's the most popular hardware. Then from there phone stuff is almost entirely free2play in the worst possible way.

But there are quite a few Chinese language only games on steam. I don't think they bother to translate them, most the time. They don't look that good.

There was that Conqurers Blade game that looked interesting, like an MMO Mount and Blade, but it was pretty bad. I think I only played an hour.

But, yeah, if you gave a Chinese dev the task of making System Shock 3 you can be sure it would be completed. The suicide prevention nets outside the building would make sure of that.:p

Found this today and it was very informative.

System Shock’s owner says it’s now up to Tencent if sequels get Made - VGC
However, there has been no clarification in the two years since on what exactly this means for the future of Otherside’s game, despite an analysis of LinkedIn suggesting that virtually all of System Shock’s development team has long since left.

Speaking to VGC at Gamescom, Nightdive CEO Stephen Kick claimed that the rights to the third game, which it had originally granted to Otherside, had subsequently been sold on to the Chinese conglomerate.

It’s now up to Tencent whether a third game gets made, he told VGC.

“When we originally acquired the rights to the franchise, we licensed the rights for the third game to Warren and Paul [Neurath] at Otherside. They then subsequently sold their rights to Tencent,” he explained.

“So Tencent currently has the rights to the third game, and we have the rights to do the remake of the first game and potentially a remake of the second game. That’s pretty much where it stands right now.”

Otherside really contributed a lot to the immersive sim genre, didn't they.

First they crowdfunded arguably the worst immersive sim of all time - and then they utterly failed to deliver System Shock 3 despite low aspirations and a small scale - and then proceeded to sell the rights to arguably the most important franchise in the genre to a giant Chinese conglomerate.

Thanks for that.

Not news really. It was already known that Tencent had the rights to a SS3.

I'm not very familiar with Tencent, but I know that they have ownership in more game studios than any other company. Do they have a studio that might actually be able to make a decent immersive sim?

Yes it's old news it was mentioned a few months back, but this is the first time anyone actually talked about the issue. We also now know the second game is getting remade.

Where does it say that SS2 is getting remade? It only mentions that Nightdive holds the rights to do a potential remake.

They have the rights to make the sequel. It's what Nightdive does for a living. Basically you don't buy an IP and sit on it as a developer. Hopefully both are better then Blade Runner.

Last edited:
Where does it say that SS2 is getting remade? It only mentions that Nightdive holds the rights to do a potential remake.
SS2 is getting a remaster by ND - and that's been confirmed. It won't be like the SS1 remake, though.

I wouldn't expect much - probably something like the SS1 Enhanced Edition that ND did.

SS2 is getting a remaster by ND - and that's been confirmed. It won't be like the SS1 remake, though.

I wouldn't expect much - probably something like the SS1 Enhanced Edition that ND did.
Thanks I didn't know it was officially confirmed yet. (y)

It's part of the pre-order scheme as well - where you can gain access to SS2: EE if you pre-purchase SS1 remake.
That's long-term but it's a generous offer.
It must mean that the risk is pretty high. :D

You're referring to System Shock 2: Enhanced Edition. I've known about that for quite some time. Afaik, that's just going to be SS2 ported to their Kex engine with some mods included. It's also supposed to get VR support at some point.

I was talking about an actual remake. Hopefully that gets done at some point too. I'd love to see SS2 in a modern engine.

I'm just still waiting on the original System Shock remake, at this point. Seems to be taking forever.

I'm just still waiting on the original System Shock remake, at this point. Seems to be taking forever.
Yeah, it's pretty ridiculous how long it's taken. However, I'm confident it'll be out in Q1 2023, and I think it's going to be solid.

I expect the trolls are going to trash it for all the delays though regardless of how good it is.

You're referring to System Shock 2: Enhanced Edition. I've known about that for quite some time. Afaik, that's just going to be SS2 ported to their Kex engine with some mods included. It's also supposed to get VR support at some point.

I was talking about an actual remake. Hopefully that gets done at some point too. I'd love to see SS2 in a modern engine.
I certainly wouldn't mind a remake of SS2 done right.

If it's by ND - I guess that means we need to wait at least another 6-7 years, though :)

Back
Top Bottom