DA:O Dealing with different party configurations

Dragon Age: Origins

Thaurin

SasqWatch
Hi again. ;)

I'm not someone who replays games a lot, of starts lots of characters to see what every class is like or try out several builds. I'm also enjoying the inter-party banter between Morrigan and Allister so much, that I can't bear to put the rogue, whassername, in to open the odd locked chest!

So I've been wondering, since these four (Morrigan, Allister, the dog and I) have been constantly the center of everything, how much different the dialogue would be if you have other party members in your party. How many combinations of dialogue can they put in there, anyway? So much is centered around Allister when you run into people, for instance. I'm sure there are other instances where the other guys will play a role that you'll never see if they're not in your party.

There are even many occasions where your race and background are taken into account in dialogue. I never want to miss a thing, so this just gnaws at me and my unwillingness to replay through the same game ten times. :)

So, have the completists here have anything to say about that? How much is different, or is it all facade and show, like BioWare usually does with different dialogue options? They do it like masters, anyway...

Also, I'd like to stay on Morrigan's good side. I like her. But she'd have me reject half the gameplay in the game, because everytime I promise to help someone she's all "oh, yes! Let's save some kittens next!" on me (Morrigan disapproves -10). Is saying no to those people really cutting me off from content like 90% of morality systems in RPGs?

I switch very often. Usually I try to analyse / determine what lays ahead of me, and so I put the party together.

The only one I haven't used that much are the War-Dog, the giant warrior, and the elf.
Although they have their strengths, too.

I only need someone to balance out the weaknesses of the others. With the dog I have fewer possibilities to do it, imho.

So I've been wondering, since these four (Morrigan, Allister, the dog and I) have been constantly the center of everything, how much different the dialogue would be if you have other party members in your party. How many combinations of dialogue can they put in there, anyway? So much is centered around Allister when you run into people, for instance. I'm sure there are other instances where the other guys will play a role that you'll never see if they're not in your party.

There are even many occasions where your race and background are taken into account in dialogue. I never want to miss a thing, so this just gnaws at me and my unwillingness to replay through the same game ten times. :)

So, have the completists here have anything to say about that? How much is different, or is it all facade and show, like BioWare usually does with different dialogue options? They do it like masters, anyway…

There is a LOT of different dialog but the main sequence of quests and such will go forward with any group of followers. That said, you do get a different "vibe" for some quests and areas depending on who you have with you when you do them.

Hmm yeah, I don't really know what I was trying to say with this post, really. :p I love the dog, so I can barely stand kicking the little guy out. However, he doesn't seem to have any dialogue, so I'd be missing out on potential content of another (speaking) character. After the elves in the Bracilian forest, I also wondered what that would be like with a dwarf main, because that part really played into my race. Pretty cool, in all, but those things always keep gnawing at me. What if...?

I suggest switching them out and around as frequently as you can. There is some hilarious banter between a few pairs and even some three way banters. I'd say some of the funniest banter is between Wynn and (jeez I've already forgotten) the Dwarf companion. Actually Wynn vs. a few companions were pretty funny. Mix and match as much as possible. Don't just stick with one combination, if you want to get the most from a single playthrough.

And I'm not just talking about dialogue. There's combat tactics variation, too.

I found some banters between Shale & Morrigan very funny, and between Morrigan and the Dwarf.

I love Morrigan. She's got the funniest comebacks. I'll try to keep her around, but I've started to put others in. This already being a reportedly 100-hour game, the amount of content in this game is just amazing.

Back
Top Bottom