Skyrim Gamemoir - Skyrim is Still King of the RPGs

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Gamemoir released a new article with their opinion that Skyrim is Still King of the RPGs.
Diablo III, Mass Effect 2 And 3, Dragon Age: Inquisition, The Witcher III: Wild Hunt, Borderlands 2, Kingdoms Of Amalur: Reckoning, Bloodborne. All these games have three things in common: they’re all RPGs, they’re all wonderful and fantastic games, and they’re all the RPGs I’ve played since Skyrim which, despite their brilliance, all fell short of matching the incredible experience that Bethesda’s 2011 RPG offered. In my mind, Skyrim is still the best RPG of all time, and every game within that genre that I’ve played since then only consolidates this reality for me.

Last edited:
Well, calling KoA wonderful and fantastic is kinda reaching :)

Anyway, does it matter which is the best?

Gamemoir? never heard of, and if I ever hear anything from them again I'll ignore it!

Diablo III, Mass Effect 2 And 3, Dragon Age: Inquisition, The Witcher III: Wild Hunt, Borderlands 2, Kingdoms Of Amalur: Reckoning, Bloodborne.
Some of mentioned games I didn't play nor ever will. But Skyrim the king of those I did play?
I can't stop laughing. Even ME2 that's not openworld, that is more of a shooter than RPG, that includes Bioware Points scam, that has the most annoying grinding sonar feature that ever appeared in a game, etc - pwns Skyrim.

Skyrim is the king of bugs and the king of modding. Thrones for other things belong to other games.

Okay.

In my world, there are two thrones - one for King Vivec (Morrowind) and one for Queen Scotia (Lands of Lore), Ocato (Daggerfall) being the court jester.

There's a host of nobles waiting in the anteroom - most notably everybody else from the Royal Families (Elder Scrolls and Lands of Lore), System Shock 1, Gothic 1 and 2, Deus Ex 1, Knights of the Old Republic 2, the Mass Effect and Dragon Age families as far as I came to know them, Jade Empire, Final Fantasy 9 ... and I'm pretty sure I forgot some here.

The dungeons are really overcrowded. Dungeon Siege, Neverwinter Nights and all instances of Baldur's Gate all compete for a place to sit on the mossy, moist stone floor, but that's already occupied by all instances of Dungeon Master.

Then, there's the king of GAMES who rules them all from his mountainaous throne: Realms of the Haunting.

I am just glad its not Fallout 4. One of the crappier rpgs i have played.

While this guy's piece is just an op-ed, the stats back him up. IIRC, Skyrim is the longest-played single-player game on Steam. It is also the highest sold single-player game in Steam's history. Multi-player shooters dominate the list otherwise. If you assume that Steam is only 1/3 of Skyrim's sales, it has sold 25 million copies. Of those 25 million, several million were at full price in the first month or two past release.

While folks here want to credit the modders, and rightly so, nobody else has been able to duplicate this feat in the 4.5 years since Skyrim came out. The Witcher franchise has claimed that the 3 Witcher games combined have sold 20 million copies. That's nice, but pocket change compared to the last 3 TES games :D

To be fair, Fallout 3, FNV and Fallout 4 combined can't match Skyrim; at least the last time I checked. Hmmm, gonna go check that out….

Okay, Bethesda's Fallouts have caught Skyrim. Those 3 games have matched the sales of Skyrim alone.

Last edited:
Currently 88% off on GoG!

Well, I still have it here on my shelf so I don't need another copy, but ... everybody else should get one :p.

While this guy's piece is just an op-ed, the stats back him up. IIRC, Skyrim is the longest-played single-player game on Steam. It is also the highest sold single-player game in Steam's history. Multi-player shooters dominate the list otherwise. If you assume that Steam is only 1/3 of Skyrim's sales, it has sold 25 million copies. Of those 25 million, several million were at full price in the first month or two past release.

While folks here want to credit the modders, and rightly so, nobody else has been able to duplicate this feat in the 4.5 years since Skyrim came out. The Witcher franchise has claimed that the 3 Witcher games combined have sold 20 million copies. That's nice, but pocket change compared to the last 3 TES games :D

To be fair, Fallout 3, FNV and Fallout 4 combined can't match Skyrim; at least the last time I checked. Hmmm, gonna go check that out….

Okay, Bethesda's Fallouts have caught Skyrim. Those 3 games have matched the sales of Skyrim alone.

So mr. Bieber is the greatest musician of all time? McDonald's the greatest restaurant? What about GTA V...it sold almost three times more than Skyrim.
C'mmon crpgnut...it's not as simplistic matter as that.
Bethesda games, as well as Skyrim, are not considered the pinnacle of greatest writing, game play, technical performance, world design or even rpg mechanics...but for their accessibility. They require little investment, can be started and put down as easily and are catered to practically everyone's taste.
In comparison with Witcher and other rpg series on the matter of sales, Bethesda has been more than twenty years in business, building their own recognizable brand with little competition from others.
It should say more of what CDPR and Obsidian have accomplished on their first attempt with open world games of similar scope that Bethesda could not, so far, even dream of doing. And I would say with a lot less time and experience.

Thanks to the resurgence of this topic, Gamemoir is breaking all it's traffic records. :p

Well, calling KoA wonderful and fantastic is kinda reaching :)

Anyway, does it matter which is the best?

Wait, what?

OH crap...

I didn't see this was a topic from a year ago. I thought DArt was back.

I think KoA the Reckoning is a great game, having a lot of fun with it.

T

"Guest"? Is his account actually gone? As in, deleted?

Also, this topic was prior to FO4 and TW3, both of which would be contenders for the mainstream crowd. For me, it would probably be TW3 > Skyrim > FO4 of those three, but to each his/her own.

The thing that Skyrim does compared to other recently released cRPG's is that it gives you a canvas and lets you be the artist. Now I know that modders have played a large role in this but that is half the fun.

Oh no, no mods for me. I want to enjoy vanilla games, and I liked vanilla Skyrim enough to enjoy it for over 400 hours. Then again ... too many Nords for my liking :p.

Back
Top Bottom