The Witcher 2 - v2.0 Interview, Patch Notes

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Rock, Paper, Shotgun has an interview with CDP’s development director Adam Badowski about the The Witcher 2 Patch 2.0, which is due in two days. A bit on the big additions:
RPS: Which do you regard as the most important of these changes and why?
Badowski: All of them are somehow important. The forty plus technical improvements because they bring the game closer to being perfectly polished. The new tutorial could prove really valuable to those about to start their first playthrough – and we suspect this could be quite a large group, as good RPGs have a long lifecycle. On the other hand, those who wanted and planned to play the game again will, I think, really appreciate ‘Dark’ mode. Finally, there’s the ‘Arena’ – the single biggest added feature that should bring a lot of people enjoyment. Hmm, so which one wins? Probably ‘Arena’ mode!
GOG has a set of "summary" patch notes if you'd like a detailed overview but The Witcher site offers a .pdf document that lists all 40+ of the improvements, if you'd like the full detail. I'd say several readers will be happy with the "responsiveness" fixes listed.
More information.

Good interview, I especially liked this:

"Anyway, our approach is different and relatively simple. All DLC for the PC version is and will remain FREE. That’s not likely to be the story for the Xbox version, because of certain Microsoft policies that need to be followed. But on PC, once you buy our game, you don’t need to worry about any additional costs – we will provide all updates, including those featuring new content, for free. I think it’s reasonable than when you buy our product, you can expect us to service it for you quite a long time after release, though less intensively as time goes by. Any payable DLC that appears is likely to be a more classic expansion pack along the lines of, say, Baldur’s Gate: Tales of the Sword Coast. But this is a purely theoretical discussion at this point, as we have yet to confirm or even plan any official expansion packs."

How can you be disappointed by a free upgrade that adds game content? Other than CD Projekt, I can't think of a single developer who has done that in recent years.

"9. The additional two steps Geralt took after mounting an attack with the W, S, A or D key depressed have been
eliminated."

"13. Assorted problems with key responsiveness have been resolved. Keys no longer need to be depressed twice or
more to trigger a given action."

This is great news - I stopped playing early on because the game kept forcing me into frantic combat and I found myself raging at the unresponsive controls. Not fun.

I'll give it another go with this mega patch and whether I like it or not this time round, CD Projekt have my vote.

Great to hear. Regardless of whether you like the game or not, it would be nice to see more developers following this philosophy again.

How can you be disappointed by a free upgrade that adds game content? Other than CD Projekt, I can't think of a single developer who has done that in recent years.
Where did you get that I'm disappointed about the patch?

"[…] we have yet to confirm or even plan any official expansion packs."
Disappointing, I expected them to be at least halfway through the production of an expansion.

The changes in the control reactivity is really encouraging!

The one bug fix I was looking for and disappointed to not see is a fix to the audio bug in Loredo's mansion area. It is well documented in forums. Many users, including myself, have found that saving a game inside Loredo's compound triggers numerous audio bugs including complete loss of speech dialogue for the rest of the game. The only correction is to load a game that was saved before that point.

Free is free and I certainly won't complain about that but on the other hand very little of this update appeals to me. I don't have much interest in black items or an arena. I'd really love more story content though and I think an expansion would be great. I just wish they were more than theoretical about one right now.

Free is free and I certainly won't complain about that but on the other hand very little of this update appeals to me. I don't have much interest in black items or an arena. I'd really love more story content though and I think an expansion would be great. I just wish they were more than theoretical about one right now.

My feelings about an expansion are mutual, but TW2 was only just released this past May. It amazes me that people are going to complain that they haven't announced an expansion yet.

My feelings about an expansion are mutual, but TW2 was only just released this past May. It amazes me that people are going to complain that they haven't announced an expansion yet.

What? You are suprised that people on this site irrationally complain about something? Really?

What? You are suprised that people on this site irrationally complain about something? Really?

Your just like the rest of us.:p

Still he is right most of the patches fix bugs and add a few quests but there has been no major dlc or expansion packs announced as they said they would.

I haven't purchased this game as yet and the price is getting lower (down to $45 in some stores) but reading this good news from the kind and dutiful people at CDP makes me consider hastening towards picking it up.

I waited for a long time with the first game as well and was rewarded by the nice package that was the Enhanced edition. Not sure I can wait as long this time around! :)

Still he is right most of the patches fix bugs and add a few quests but there has been no major dlc or expansion packs announced as they said they would.

Show me where they said there would be a "major" DLC announced by now.

Every DLC released so far has been free, and every future DLC is also going to be free. Some people are never satisfied though..

Some people are never satisfied though..

For some reason that sentence reminded me of this ;)

picture.php

Show me where they said there would be a "major" DLC announced by now.

Every DLC released so far has been free, and every future DLC is also going to be free. Some people are never satisfied though..

"Let [us] announce that all our DLCs will be FREE," they write. "All of them. If anything will be for purchase, those will be expansion packs. First DLC (side-quest called "Troll Trouble") [launches] together with the game release."

Right there take or leave it. I finished the game 3 times and have no desire to play again till more content is added instead of technical fixes. This isn't complaining just saying nothing substantial in dlc or expansions has yet come out.

Sorry if it offends this perfect company image most of you have.:p

parries no longer cancel all damage (maximum 50% reduction once the relevant ability has been acquired).

THIS is the one I was hoping for. Parrying was much too important in the game, ruining the combat system totally and made me stop playing early on.

Combined with
Geralt‟s attacks are no longer interrupted by attacking opponents. Attacks are now contiguous and foes cannot interrupt Geralt‟s attacks by landing a blow.

the combat system finally seems acceptable for me. My hate for active parrying is obviously more widespread than I thought. Relentless attacking FTW!

I would have preferred an optional TW1 mode, but the systems are too different to be included in one game.

Just a quick note due to lack of time: from what I read in the patch notes, this looks great, and since I do not have the time for multiple playthroughs (and yes, it makes me feel old) I have waited for this!

Correct me if I am wrong, but version 2.0 appears to address the few issues people had with the game, and in my eyes affirms the good reputation CD Project RED has already. I much appreciate the effort the team puts into program support — free of charge — and this (and their skill) makes them my personal game developing heroes! Their dedication cannot be underestimated, seeing how many games are abandoned by their developers. Keep up the good work!

Back
Top Bottom