God of War - Announced

Without having played a lot of God of War, there are a number of crucial diferences between those games and Dark Souls games - in Dark Souls you can play an absurd number of custom, fine-tuned builds around different stats, weapons, spells and completely unrelated playstyles. You can also make different choices that lead to radically different paths, with different interactions and different ways to deal with situations - you can join or destroy factions as you see fit, and you can even decide whether the world is saved or goes down in flames as you traverse its landscapes and reach the ending.

Now I get that some people around here have a pet peeve with Dark Souls, but comparing it to a game like God of War is quite diminishing (kinda insulting, really), in the same way it is to compare Fallout or Bioshock to Call of Duty, and saying both are "basically a shooter".

I have no issue with Dark Souls, I even like it overall. I think the purpose of the debate was just to see where the line is. How many stats/weapons/builds/playstyles or how much exploration/freedom does there need to be for something that isn't an rpg to become an rpg. Because surely that's just an arbitrary line.

I guess this goes back to the idea of it being very difficult to describe something. You think you know what something is when you see it, but can't really abstract a set of hard rules for it.

There is a certain amount of defensiveness to this discussion. But I do wonder why that is. It feels like it's about demeaning something just because you place it in the same category as something less than. Which is weird, since theoretically everything is part of the broadest category of "things". But I guess there's enough of a distance there, between those "things".

I don't think this game looks all that good. I watched the trailer, and it just looks like another of those type action games where all the monsters are huge and like Godzilla or something. Meh, that does nothing for me. Oh, and a heartwarming tale of a grizzled veteran teaching his son how to be a man. *sarcasm (rolls eyes)

The funny thing is if you check the steam forum, there are all these Sony PlayStation fanboys complaining and pissed off that one of their "exclusives" is coming to PC. lmao

It's a petty complaint they are making, but also amusing to read some of those threads. And some jokers are (of course) playing off it, creating overly dramatic threads just to troll. (one guy says he is gonna kill himself over this, lol)

I don't think this game looks all that good. I watched the trailer, and it just looks like another of those type action games where all the monsters are huge and like Godzilla or something. Meh, that does nothing for me. Oh, and a heartwarming tale of a grizzled veteran teaching his son how to be a man. *sarcasm (rolls eyes)

When I played it on PS4 I remember it looked pretty amazing. There are certain moments that are jawdropping visually speaking. The trailer does indeed not look "that" impressive visually. I really wonder if they had to pull back various details because they couldn't optimize it enough? Or maybe the trailer was recorded on lower settings. Anyway, we shall see in 2 months or so.

As for the game overall, as I said before, it's pretty great. I had a lot of fun with it. And I disliked the original God of War due to the button mashing and some of the emo-childish things. This soft-reboot is significantly more grounded.

When I played it on PS4 I remember it looked pretty amazing. There are certain moments that are jawdropping visually speaking. The trailer does indeed not look "that" impressive visually. I really wonder if they had to pull back various details because they couldn't optimize it enough? Or maybe the trailer was recorded on lower settings. Anyway, we shall see in 2 months or so.

As for the game overall, as I said before, it's pretty great. I had a lot of fun with it. And I disliked the original God of War due to the button mashing and some of the emo-childish things. This soft-reboot is significantly more grounded.

Yea, I know I'm just judging based on the trailer, but it's just my personal taste, in that like Monster Hunter or Dark Souls or other similar games, I don't find that gigantic "boss monster" fight games interesting. I know there is a niche (and a popular one) for that type of game, but it's not for me.

When I have to fight those type boss monsters in like some shooter games I have played, I usually get bored pretty quickly with the fights (oh, gotta keep hitting that one particular weakness to beat the
big monster - me thinking "yawn") And then will put god-mode on eventually out of frustration and boredom if I can't beat the boss monster after a certain number of tries.

*shrug* That is just me though.

Those boss fights with weak spots and different mechanics are straight from the Nintendo/Amiga times...

I remember the Kayran. Luckily it was quite easy. Never played Dark Souls etc. games, though.

Nice graphics, but there's nothing in that trailer that makes me want to play the game.

I especially hate it when boss battles have different mechanics from the regular combat. Anyone remembers the final boss battle in Risen 1? Or the Kayran from the Witcher 2? I hate it.

The final boss in Risen was indeed shit. I didn't mind the Kayran fight though.

Nice graphics, but there's nothing in that trailer that makes me want to play the game.

You can't really make out much from the trailer. As to the gameplay loop.

You basically explore a pseudo-open world and fight all sorts of creatures. This is a just an example of one of the earlier fights. It's sort of a mini-boss and its minions. The video is on the hardest difficulty so that's part of why it takes so long to take some of them down. But I'd recommend jumping into one of the playthrough videos and seeing the actual gameplay loop before coming to a conclusion. That trailer pretty much says nothing. At it's core it's a fun action game with some really impressive setpieces and visceral combat.

There is a certain amount of defensiveness to this discussion. But I do wonder why that is. It feels like it's about demeaning something just because you place it in the same category as something less than. Which is weird, since theoretically everything is part of the broadest category of "things". But I guess there's enough of a distance there, between those "things".

Well, of course, everything is a thing in the end, but more than defensiveness there is a desire to call things by their name in the way that if you own a restaurant that serves bistro cuisine, you would be against it being branded as "fast food".

And so for example, FIFA'## are great games for those who are into it, but as someone who enjoys games like Dark Souls, I would feel it's diminishing to call it a "Football Game".

God of War is closer to Legend of Zelda games than it is to Dark Souls, and I can't imagine anyone comparing it to Legend of Zelda or doubting that being a RPG.

I also disliked the original but liked this one much better, both for it's story and for it's gameplay. I wouldn't call it a game about fighting giant monsters along the line of monster hunter, you do it on occasion, but it's hardly the focus. But it still leans heavily into the action side of action RPG, and will definitely not be everyones cup of tea.

What I like is the fact that Sony are bringing more (formerly) exclusives to PC. I might not play this but there are other PS games I'd love to see on PC like Ghosts of Tsushima - and this gives me hope.

I don't even like this franchises' title.

Oh yes, SSIGuy, that's also a fervent hope of mine! I certainly hope Sony keeps this up, they're building up great karma in my book.

And what better way to signal to them that PC players really want their exclusives and that they should bring more of them over than to buy them, even if you’re just barely curious. :D

This game was quite a surprise. Totally different from the 3 other God of War and with quite a nice story.
As for the graphics they talk about true 4K with unlocked framerates, UW support and support for the latest GeForce GPUs options and so on..
That can't be compared to a PS4.

Despite all the fanfare of the game getting a PC release, it just makes me sad the sequel probably wont be ported anytime soon. If it does in the next five years I'll be surprised.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8JxzwVfGpI

Yeah, PC looks pretty much identical to PS5.
Yeah I doubt there will be much of a difference given the hardware in current consoles nowadays. It's not like in the past when consoles were weaker to PC hardware.

In fact the PS5 and XBox X games are probably the better option to play right now. Given the inflated PC hardware prices, and being made for the consoles select hardware.

Back
Top Bottom