Baldur's Gate 3 - Wolfheart's Thoughts on Patch 6

For those who followed the lore, they have mentioned a couple of times that the story of Baldur's Gate 3 follows chronologically the events of the Descent Into Avernus campaign. So, I don't want to spoil anyone, as I've fully completed the adventure with some of my DnD buddies, but that being the case, it makes complete sense for BG3 to begin and probably almost exclusively play out in Avernus.

I played this with my normal D&D group as well, friends & family; and wow did they not do anything that made complete sense to me. But we had fun with the campaign. It was a long one. They spent a fair amount of time in Avernus while doing the sideshit my group is famous for so it was maybe 50/50 actual focus on the written campaign... as per usual.

Thanks, that helps to lower my expectations.

Doesn't mean that it won't be a good game, but I really liked the change of general environments (nature, city, dungeons) in the BG trilogy.
Pathfinder doesn't shine here as well.

I think they might be reading too much into it. While it is Chronologically after Descent in Avernus, it does have it's own quite distinct storyline and I expect future Acts will not be in Avernus.

Last edited:
I played this with my normal D&D group as well, friends & family; and wow did they not do anything that made complete sense to me.
Well, that's the default behaviour for a group in every P&P. ;)

I think they might be reading too much into it. While it is Chronologically after Descent in Avernus, it does have it's own quite distinct storyline and I expect future Acts will not be in Avernus.
Hm, ok... let's see!

Well, that's the default behaviour for a group in every P&P. ;)

Hm, ok… let's see!

Never fails to amaze me how I can be married to the same woman for twenty years and then we sit down to roleplay and she just does completely unexpected things. Or friends you've known for decades, suddenly when tabletop roleplaying you get to see sides you never would otherwise.

I really love the hobby and I love being surprised by people in it!

This game is looking to be the fantasy version of Star Citizen!
Full version to be released: NEVER

They have never once promised and broken a release date. If in your brain you read "it'll be a few years" and decided that meant "this year", that's on you.

And they don't milk their players for $100 per suit of armor.

Dumb comparison.

If this is honestly how you enjoy playing games more power to ya. I find that when I enable cheats etc I lose all willpower to even continue playing the game. I need at least the chance of failure to make success worthwhile. :D

Gah... I can't even imagine playing BG3, a sprawling story game based on tactics and tabletop combat rules, with a cheat. It would be like playing D&D with loaded dice. Defeats the point :D
It's well known that I only play RPG's for the story/campaign. Everything else is secondary to me. So when these games have story mode I'll always choose it.

Probably why I love BioWare cinematic RPGs.

They have never once promised and broken a release date. If in your brain you read "it'll be a few years" and decided that meant "this year", that's on you.

And they don't milk their players for $100 per suit of armor.

Dumb comparison.
For as much as I harp on Larian for slow development myself, I agree with you.:nod:

It's well known that I only want to play for the story/campaign. Everything else is secondary to me in RPGs. So when these games have story mode I'll always choose it.

Probably why I love BioWare cinematic RPGs.

Nah, it makes sense. "Story" modes and casual modes are popular in these types of games, so you must not be in the minority here. I'm neither hardcore nor casual in my gaming, I usually just try to approach games at the normal level of difficulty intended by the devs in their "vision" of gameplay.

I also very much enjoy crunchy tactical fights, though, so that could be why the story modes don't appeal to me. I'm trying to remember a mostly story game I loved besides Torment... um... ok two of them - Torment: Tides of Numenera, because I liked the world building of Monte Cook with his Numenera setting a lot. My wife GM'd a few games in that world tabletop, actually. The other off the top of my head was Age of Decadence, that game was amazing and you could play as a merchant that didn't fight at all. Neither of those games really "required" combat to finish, as I recall.

So there's your all over the place answer there. :D

Back
Top Bottom