Intel is working on modular PC concept

joxer

The Smoker
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
https://wccftech.com/intel-element-modular-pc-form-factor-next-gen-nucs/
Intel-Quartz-Canyon-NUC_5.jpg

Still work in progress, could be finally a step away from outdated IBM PC architecture:

Intel's Ed Barkhuysen shed some light over the Element Modular PC. The PC platform includes mostly everything you'd need to when building a PC with the most significant of it all being the processor. This won't obviously be the first time we have seen a CPU embedded on an add-in-card but the last ones were put together more than a decade ago. With Element, Intel is aiming for a modular PC design and they are currently targetting its use on next-generation NUCs.

Coming to the specifications, the Element module comes in a dual-slot form factor and has a nice black colored shroud with an Intel logo and a single fan that pushes air through the internals. The components sit on the PCB underneath the shroud which is typically what we saw on modern-day graphics cards. But rather than the GPU, VRAM and its power delivery, we are talking about more components.

In this case, we are looking at a BGA CPU (Intel Xeon or Intel Core), two SO-DIMM LPDDR4 memory DIMM slots, two M.2 ports for storage and a range of I/O ports which include Thunderbolt 3, HDMI, Ethernet LAN, USB, and WiFi. The whole module is powered by an 8-pin connector which suggests a 150-200W TDP for this card. Since the Element is not a final design at the moment, we may get a lot more variations in the future, some of which may not even require extra power ports & will be able to sip power directly from the PCI-express slot.
What's definitely going to be interesting is that rather than updating your entire PC once a new generation of hardware comes out, you can simply swap in the older modules rather than updating your motherboard, rounding the power cables again, swapping the cooler, making for a more streamlined PC building approach.

Every now and then a friend or acquaitance of mine calls me because of "inside the box" problems and every time I get a cold sweat. I do help every time, but I just hate it. Dunno when but it started getting on my nerves to tinker with IBM's relics.

Not saying Intel's plan will succeed, they've revealed an early concept. I know it's irrational, but I just have to be excited.

I WANT ONE!!!! NOW!!!!

pibbur who ought to know that screaming is bad netiquette.

Meanwhile, on Mêlée Island, deep in the Caribbean...

... AMD is working on its System-on-Chip solution, where (almost) everything is integrated on the same die.

Go figure. :)

I don't see much of a point here.

First of all, I think most people belong to two groups: They either have no idea at all, which means that they wouldn't be able to put together their PC even if it was simplified, or they have decent knowledge which is enough to handle putting together a normal PC anyways.

The upgradeability would also not benefit much either. All elements need to be upgraded at some point anyways. Just look at the upgrades of the different boards in the past.

Furthermore PC development or upgrades became less important during the last years anyways. If you buy a 1500€ PC now, you probably would be able to play everything decently for the next 5-10 years unless you want to go up the resolution (or go high performance VR). If you upgrade your PC at some point you will probably want to upgrade everything anyways. The only exception might be a graphics card. So maybe one swap of GPU before the whole PC is swapped. No need to have easier modular upgrade options.

Meanwhile, on Mêlée Island, deep in the Caribbean…

… AMD is working on its System-on-Chip solution, where (almost) everything is integrated on the same die.

Go figure. :)

I WANT ONE!!! NOW!!!

pibbur who ... eh....

Back
Top Bottom