Malevolence - Released

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
The first person rogue-like Malevolence: The Sword of Ahkranox has been released:

Malevolence: The Sword of Ahkranox

Enter the world of Ahkranox - the first ever genuinely infinite first person roguelike. Become the incarnate form of a magical, sentient Sword, protecting a realm of dreams from the shadows of its own tormented soul, and stand as an eternal guardian against the infinite darkness that threatens to consume all.

Meticulously inspired by the classic RPG experiences of the early 90s, this turn-based roguelike drops you into the infinite realm of Ahkranox, a dream-world in the mind of a sentient sword. The world is infinite, the loot is infinite, the quests are infinite and the possibilities are infinite. Relive the classic adventure experience of the past in this modern day salute to the pioneers of modern role playing.

Be warned! Much like its predecessors, this game does not babysit you. You will learn to run. You will learn patience. You do not start out an unbeatable hero. You will start as a scavenger, doing what they can to scrape by, but that will make your inevitable success even sweeter.

&

Features:

• A procedurally generated, yet permanent, world to explore.
  • All players experience their own copy of the same world. Share your finds with friends!
  • Plunder an infinite amount of procedurally generated loot.
  • Compete against your fellow adventurers to prove yourself the greatest hero to have lived.
  • Choose from a never-ending supply of quests.
  • Interact with your fellow players through rifts in time.
  • Relive the brutal difficulty and merciless game mechanics of the golden age of video gaming.
  • Claim undiscovered locations as your own for other players to stumble upon.
  • A game without an ending and with no level cap! You live to reach greater heights than your fellows, or you die gloriously!
Thanks Fluent!

More information.

Somewhat weird to see this released. I had almost forgotten I backed it when I got the release update.

I remember testing this maybe two or three years ago and not playing for long because it was very obvious that it still needed much work. I'm glad to see it finally got released, but I'll give it a few more months before I consider venturing in.

Also looking forward to look into it. However I am still busy with Grimshade and Pathway which is going to be released in a couple of hours. Too much to do, as always.

4 direction dungeon crawler, right? 1986 all over again ;)

Remember positing news a few years and from what I recall the project was almost abandoned. So it's good to see the developer stayed the course, and finished it.

4 direction dungeon crawler, right? 1986 all over again ;)

Silly....it has different outdoor levels etc....not sure why that is an issue.

Remember positing news a few years and from what I recall the project was almost abandoned. So it's good to see the developer stayed the course, and finished it.

Also, I don't think it was almost abandoned....the developer got sick for a bit....it's a very small team.

Also, I don't think it was almost abandoned….the developer got sick for a bit….it's a very small team.
Yes his sickness almost made him quit development my point still stands. The developer posted updates where he talked about this and went quiet for almost a whole year.

In the end he came back and finished development.

I remember playing the demo 3 or 4 years ago. It seemed like it had a lot of potential, but I'm not sure how much the game has changed since then.

I suspect the game would be better received if it was a hand-crafted adventure that had an ending.

Game itself looks fine and gameplay mechanics are appealing. That said, Im not fan of procedurally generated content and thats basically all this game has. So Im not jumping in, but can perfectly understand why other people might like it. Btw, from what I shortly learned about this game, it is turn based and has no action gameplay element. In such case I dont see how gameplay would benefit from free-roam movement, if implemented. Not all games have to be Skyrim, even in 2019.

One of the problems, IMO, is that where it's using procedural generation to generate a tile-based world, it all looks like quite ill-fitting modular pieces slapped together. When you have very limited graphics, you really rely on art direction to create a good effect, and the procedural generation doesn't do a good job at that.

Yup I give him huge credit for simply not giving up and throwing in the towel when things got rough. It's been quite a while since the kick starter campaign, but at least he did finish the game, and not every project can make that claim.

I was following this game since the kick-starter, looks OK in dungeons, but I really don't like how it looks outside. I know it's a one guy development team... maybe allow modded textures? I played a few hours of the demo and I quite like the crawling a la Legend of Grimrock
^_^

Where is the demo? I tried to show a friend but couldn't find the demo. Does it still exist?

Back
Top Bottom