Shenmue 3 - Exclusive to Epic Store

Oh, I have great relations with my bank, should I demand a refund, I guarantee I'll get it. If I have to go that route, however, I won't be stopping with just reclaiming my funds, I will spread much stink on their name.

Oddly enough, just today I received an update from the Iron Oak games talking about their console release concerning For the King, and right within the body of that report they state they'll never go the Epic route, aka exclusivity. It put a huge grin on my face!

But did they commit, during the Kick Starter, to launching on Steam? If yes, then they are in breach of good faith. If they never said that, and this is just outrage from the Steam zombies then whatever …

Shenmue 3 has a Steam page and was updated a week ago. The intention for Steam was there, they asked their backers to specify a platform. This is a sudden decision to launch on Epic.

Shenmue 3 has a Steam page and was updated a week ago. The intention for Steam was there, they asked their backers to specify a platform. This is a sudden decision to launch on Epic.
Nope, sorry, that just proves they were considering Steam; it wasn't a promise. Show me where they promised backers that it was going to be a Steam exclusive - or that they PROMISED it would be on Steam.

Nope, sorry, that just proves they were considering Steam; it wasn't a promise. Show me where they promised backers that it was going to be a Steam exclusive - or that they PROMISED it would be on Steam.

It was promised PC on the Kickstarter. Then later they asked about choice of platform for which Steam was an option. I know people would of assumed Steam when they backed as Epic Game Store did not exist, through it was not specified as Steam during the crowdfunding period.

The developers only saying later they will offer Steam has covered themselves legally to a certain extent.

Yes and I am agreeing with you that they have manuervered themselves well to get away with acting badly. You may not agree that they have acted in bad faith and technically you are right but…

I argue that the PC consumer has acted badly to the point that Steam is considered PC gaming; having been a vocal reactionary when Half Life 2 required the Steam installer.

Eventually Epic will offer enough money to a dev with a game I want to play and then I’ll have a decision to make but this isn’t it.

When the time does come though i have a big enough backlog that i might just wait the year. It will be getting DLC and patches in that time anyway.

I argue that the PC consumer has acted badly to the point that Steam is considered PC gaming; having been a vocal reactionary when Half Life 2 required the Steam installer.

I wasn't super keen on that DRM at the time. This is why I buy GOG for titles I care about. Through sometimes there is convenience to consider.

Valve have some blemishes in my book such as the very late introduction of Steam refunds and the pay for cosmetics crap they introduced.

Steam has proven to be the choice for most because they have an ear for consumers and developers even if actual change can be slow to arrive.

Origin and Uplay seem relatively stagnant comparatively speaking and Epic Game Store seems no different so far. Hopefully Epic Game Store can become customer friendly and embrace the open nature of PC.

As much as I hate multiple launchers, steam badly need serious competition. The only way that can happen is for someone to come in with wade of cash offer deep discounts and have store exclusives. This is the only way they get people to move away from steam so I think Epic store is a necessary evil.

However, in this case its bit shitty move by the developers of the game as they did KS and promised PC release and at that time it was assumed by people it will be steam....

As much as I hate multiple launchers, steam badly need serious competition.
+1

But is Epic really serious - customers wise?
Other platforms basically copy Steam (some stuff is different like GOG patching uses compressed data transfers, where Steam does that only with preloads).

What I need is a platform that distributes only videogames.
Steam went decadent and spawns tons of ported scamware from phones daily, as if Valve wants to shift it's business only on pay2win & gambling garbage.
Epic is not that platform nor will become it. It's microtransactions that created them in the first place.

What Epic does is not parasiting on developers much. And I'm not angry on Epic, it's Valve who could and should lower their "taxes". They refused.

I wasn't super keen on that DRM at the time. This is why I buy GOG for titles I care about. Through sometimes there is convenience to consider.

Valve have some blemishes in my book such as the very late introduction of Steam refunds and the pay for cosmetics crap they introduced.

Steam has proven to be the choice for most because they have an ear for consumers and developers even if actual change can be slow to arrive.

Origin and Uplay seem relatively stagnant comparatively speaking and Epic Game Store seems no different so far. Hopefully Epic Game Store can become customer friendly and embrace the open nature of PC.
I agree and I buy GOG any time I have the choice which, sadly, isn't often enough. My main gripe with this current battle between PC game distribution is that folks are kind of missing the point.

Edit: I'm not trying to be a jerk but this stuff just gets me worked up.

I'm with you folks, when the option is there I always pick great old games first. Steam is a poor substitute, and those are the only two platforms that I use, and I don't see that ever changing.

Back
Top Bottom