Lotr 4k

I watched those movies so many times I cant stand watching them anymore.:(

I'm waiting for more movies set in different eras but it'll probably never happen. Whats your opinion on the old The Hobbit cartoon from 1977. Loved it as a kid.:)

I'm waiting for more movies set in different eras but it'll probably never happen. Whats your opinion on the old The Hobbit cartoon from 1977. Loved it as a kid.:)

Never seen any of the old movies. Just the Peter Jackson ones.

I'm kind of interested in the Amazon tv series, maybe just because of the humongous budget they advertised. But I'm also wary. I doubt we'll ever get anything as good the Jackson trilogy. Heck, even Jackson and his crew couldn't replicate the same thing twice with The Hobbit (though that's a lot less to do with his crew, and more with studio interference and pressures)

A recent interview claimed the script wasn't finished, and Jackson had the cast ad-lib the scenes. Considering that I'm amazed the Hobbit Trilogy turned out as good as it did.

A recent interview claimed the script wasn't finished, and Jackson had the cast ad-lib the scenes. Considering that I'm amazed the Hobbit Trilogy turned out as good as it did.

It was a very very messy situation. I was not aware of most of what happened until I watched Lindsay Ellis's mini-documentary. Highly recommend watching it if you have 1h and a half.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTRUQ-RKfUs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElPJr_tKkO4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qi7t_g5QObs

Spans everything from scheduling issues under the initial director, Guillermo del Toro, then the whole thing being forced upon Jackson to do it in very little time with little resources, and ending even with corporate lobbying from Hollywood to change laws in New Zeeland to make it easier to do union busting of people working in the industry. Basically, capitalism doing what it does best.

I read some article that a lot of people in New Zeeland look at LOTR with very mixed opinions as to what it did for their industry. If I understood correctly, basically New Zeeland became the movie-making colony for the western world, with regards to costs.

Awesome! Now we can watch Peter Jackson's mediocrity in even higher resolution! ;)

In all seriousness though, they weren't completely terrible, and I still think Fellowship of the Ring was actually pretty good. Unfortunately, they declined in quality after that, imo.

I much preferred the Ralph Bakshi version, myself. Shame he never finished it.

I thought Jackson's LotR trilogy was good, but overrated, and the Hobbit prequels I found just awful.

Awesome! Now we can watch Peter Jackson's mediocrity in even higher resolution! ;)

In all seriousness though, they weren't completely terrible, and I still think Fellowship of the Ring was actually pretty good. Unfortunately, they declined in quality after that, imo.

I thought Jackson's LotR trilogy was good, but overrated, and the Hobbit prequels I found just awful.

It's not often that I get to tell people with absolute certainty that they're wrong, so I like to cherish little moments like these. LOTR is the absolute best trilogy ever made. :biggrin:

Seriously though, It's amazing that it ended up so well. I like to believe that the fact that they filmed them all together, and then released them one by one had a lot to do with it. And most certainly lots of other things.

Too bad they're probably not gona be able to do a remaster of the "Behind the scenes" footage. They have about 12h of footage in all, and it would be amazing to see those again in a proper resolution. But unfortunately they seem to have been filmed with a lot lower-budget cameras. Expected but unfortunate.

yJiPpE.gif

I watched those movies so many times I cant stand watching them anymore.:(
I couldn't stand them the first time and I can't stand 4K either.
The news is lose-lose in my case.

Me too, yes, it's a shame.

It was a disgraceful atrocity I thought can't go worse than that and then we got Hobbit. Tolkien is probably still turning in his grave trying to say for each and every pathetic entry "I didn't write this!".

Personally, I prefer head cinema over everything else.
Plus, I really don't need to see every single freckle on one's face …

A recent interview claimed the script wasn't finished,

Well, Tolkien's most definitively was. At one point.
(And yes, I did read through most of the books on Middle-earth by Christopher Tolkien, who, by the way, died a few months ago.)

As a big Tolkien fan, I enjoyed the movies for what they're worth, bringing my beloved Middle-earth to the big screen. I thought Fellowship was definitely a good movie (and the best of the lot), and I can still remember the wonder and goosebumps I got when Gandalf lit up the hall in Moria. If there's anything you can say about Jackson's movies, is that the casting and world building were absolutely spot on.

I agree TTT and RotK were mediocre, but even they had their moments of splendor. The Hobbit trilogy on the other hand was on the whole very cringy, with the performance of Martin Freeman as Bilbo as lonely highlight.

Back
Top Bottom