Game of Thrones - Review @ PC Gamer

I think I must agree on one thing, it's a game for fans. I'm not a fan, I never red the books and though I could enjoy the HBO series, the horrible habit of killing off any character with the minimum level of interest scared me away before the end of season one. Well, it's not HBO's fault, they are adapting the books, it might work on written form, but IMO it doesn't work as a TV series.

This is actually the one thing that bothers me the most about the books - characters that seem like main characters get killed off at such a high rate I end up not caring about the characters as much as I do in other series.

Well, I suppose there is one thing that bothers me more - the fact that it seems to have pulled a Wheel of Time and will go on forever.

Well, if a series is really good, it'd be great if it goes on forever wouldn't it? unf. quality has decreased in game of thrones, if it keeps decreasing he might as well end it. The very best thing with that series is that the main characters do die, I absolutely hate a series when you know the main characters won't die, it is WoT's only weakness, it's not exciting when the main characters gets in danger because you know they'll survive.

Also WoT will end 8th of January 2013 and I doubt the quality of fantasy will ever reach that level again.

Well, if a series is really good, it'd be great if it goes on forever wouldn't it?
I don't really agree. There has to be an ending, or readers will lose interest sooner or later. Either that or die of old age - people who started reading Wheel of Time in their 50s will be nearing 80 by the time the series is over. That's just too long. A Song of Ice and Fire looks like it could take ever longer given how new plot lines and story arcs are popping up faster than Martin resolves them. It's supposed to be done by book 7, but I don't believe that for a second. Not unless the two last books are both 2000 pages.

The very best thing with that series is that the main characters do die, I absolutely hate a series when you know the main characters won't die, it is WoT's only weakness, it's not exciting when the main characters gets in danger because you know they'll survive.
I agree to an extent, but ASoIaF has reached a point where I barely like any of the characters that are still alive, and I have no interest in constantly getting to know new characters simply because the old ones keep getting killed. It's like a bad soap opera. The turnover is far too high. At this point, I only care about the plots involving Daeny, the rest I simply couldn't care less about.

Also WoT will end 8th of January 2013 and I doubt the quality of fantasy will ever reach that level again.

True, though it took 23 years and could/should have been cut down to about 10 books instead of 14. If Jordan had managed to make the content a bit more focused, especially around book 8-10, I think a lot more people would consider it superior to ASoIaF.

Personally, I do consider it the best of the two, but I know quite a few who don't agree with me.

I don't really agree. There has to be an ending, or readers will lose interest sooner or later. Either that or die of old age - people who started reading Wheel of Time in their 50s will be nearing 80 by the time the series is over. That's just too long. A Song of Ice and Fire looks like it could take ever longer given how new plot lines and story arcs are popping up faster than Martin resolves them. It's supposed to be done by book 7, but I don't believe that for a second. Not unless the two last books are both 2000 pages.

Well, there are some marathon series on TV people never get tired of because they are so great ( I personally don't like any of those except simpsons :) ….. but of course a closing is inevitable sooner or later, in that case I prefer a great ending sooner, instead of a series dying out and getting a bad ending. But I really won't mind and epic series running for 30-40 years if it is as great as WOT for example. To build up a world like WOT takes a long long time.

I agree to an extent, but ASoIaF has reached a point where I barely like any of the characters that are still alive, and I have no interest in constantly getting to know new characters simply because the old ones keep getting killed. It's like a bad soap opera. The turnover is far too high. At this point, I only care about the plots involving Daeny, the rest I simply couldn't care less about.

Yes, he should have some more characters which could survive a bit longer, I agree to that. A perfect mix would be something in between. Still it is really really refreshing that ASoIaF is not predictable I really love that, infact if not for that I think it'd have been an average series at best.

True, though it took 23 years and could/should have been cut down to about 10 books instead of 14. If Jordan had managed to make the content a bit more focused, especially around book 8-10, I think a lot more people would consider it superior to ASoIaF.

Personally, I do consider it the best of the two, but I know quite a few who don't agree with me.

That depends on what you're looking for, a lot of people these days especially young, or looking for fast and exciting violence and sex. However WOT gives you so much more building up such a deep and complex world, what some people consider a waste of time, I often consider a delicate building piece in the plot and world, it is really hard to notice all the small little details which are lost to most people. As Brandon has taken over some of this is lost, but it fits perfectly as things are nearing the end, and things is accelerating.

Hmm, I wounder if this lime green will work….. guess it might not work on the light layout... o well I tried.

My main problem with the books is indeed not that he kills likable characters. Thats fine. My main problem is: there is just to many characters to get involved with in the last books. And to many places. And then he just split a book, to cover the same timeframe in two, but each with different characters... ah well. Dont like that concept, to distracting. The resulting larger coverage is not worth it in my opinion, it sidetracks the whole story.

Anyways. Thats a minor complaint, its still one of the best fantasy series out there.

And the game does kind of well at pulling you into that world. It might not be the best game ever made, but its a more than solid work.

Back
Top Bottom