Sword Coast Legends - Forgotten Realms RPG

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Seems the new RPG by n-Space & Digital Extremes is called Sword Coast Legends, and it looks to an updated NWN set in the Forgotten Realm. Here is the launch video.

About the Game

Set in the lush and vibrant world of the Forgotten Realms, Sword Coast Legends offers an all-new way to enjoy the time-tested magic of playing Dungeons & Dragons as a shared storytelling experience. With a deep narrative developed by a team of long-time industry veterans and a partnership with Wizards of the Coast, the single player campaign of Sword Coast Legends brings the world of Faerûn home like never before.

Sword Coast Legends also brings the roleplaying dynamic between players and Dungeon Masters to life with DM Mode, a first-of-its-kind real-time experience in which Dungeon Masters guide players through unique customizable adventures. In DM Mode, the Dungeon Master engages players and empowers them to have fun in a way that suits the party best while creating a tailored, non-adversarial 4 with 1 experience that any RPG or pen-and-paper fan will enjoy.

Game Features:

• Single player campaign created by members of the leadership team that brought you Dragon Age™: Origins
  • Choose from five playable races and six unique character classes to build your own stalwart adventurer
  • A return to form, Sword Coast Legends is the compelling and complex RPG you've been waiting for and features pause time, party-based tactical combat and involving storylines
  • Dungeon Master Mode: Create your own epic adventure to share with your friends, or enhance their experience in real time as they traverse your dungeon
  • Set in the Dungeons & Dragons Forgotten Realms universe based on the fifth Edition ruleset and populated with Dungeons & Dragons lore and legend
More information.

I would say it will focus on both Co-op, and single-player campaigns. Just look at the games screenshots, and watch the video it's clear this game is an updated NWN.

Yeah, that's the first question that comes to my mind as well. I've been waiting for another RPG set in the Forgotten Realms for a long time, but I hope this doesn't end up another multiplayer focused game with a tacked-on single-player mode.

Skip any multi player or co-op garbage, and just focus on making the best single player game that you can. People will shower cash on you and your product.

Be afraid, be very afraid. Don't let the talk of someone from DA Origins being on the team distract you from the fact that this is being made by a company previously known for crummy DS ports and a series of Hannah Montanna games. I smell disaster and cheap cash in by WOTC.

Single player campaign created by members of the leadership team that brought you Dragon Age™: Origins

Considering most of them are still working for BioWare/EA or left the gaming industry who could this be? All I could find is Dan Tudge (former BioWare/EA producer), but he is the president of N-Space, not really a "dev".

Now on the game proper, I find it ironic that we get a D&D PC game announcement after Feargus' interview. Talk about timing. This might be a nice game, I need more info to make sure it's not another dreadful DnD release though.

Be afraid, be very afraid. Don't let the talk of someone from DA Origins being on the team distract you from the fact that this is being made by a company previously known for crummy DS ports and a series of Hannah Montanna games. I smell disaster and cheap cash in by WOTC.
Say what you want but it wont diminish my excitement about this news. I love how gamers call doom on a game that was just officially announced today.
Considering most of them are still working for BioWare/EA or left the gaming industry who could this be? All I could find is Dan Tudge (former BioWare/EA producer), but he is the president of N-Space, not really a "dev".
Good question azarhal and it's one I'm curious about as well.

Way too early to spell doom :)

It might very well be crap - or it might be cool.

I'm happy about the possibility of another NWN-like game, that's for sure.

You guys get a ton of singleplayer RPGs these days, so maybe you could spare a single cooperative game for those of us with friends that like to play games together?

I'm reservedly excited. I'd love to play in the Forgotten Realms again but have zero interest in anything that's not single player. If the DM mode detracts from the SP game, then it'll lose my interest. Still, will keep an eye on this. It sure looked a ton like Neverwinter Nights.

@Dart Don't worry. If it focuses on co-op, a whole bunch of us will save our cash and you can buy as many copies as you like ;)

Hmm... interesting in theory. 5E is supposed to be a lot better than 4E was, but these days the D&D name is more likely to scare me away from a game. We'll have to see how it develops.

I wonder how anybody could pre-order when there's so little information about the game.

I have a feeling this is going to be a new Daggerdale case. I hope I'm wrong.

In another thread I went onto detail so won't repeat all of it, but this project is something I'd never even backed on Kickstarter if it came as a fresh indie idea nor will ever buy it.
Sorry.

But whyyyyyyyy Forgotten Realms again?

Don't answer, I know all too well how it's the most popular (read: shallow, run-of-the-mill high fantasy setting anyone could have come up with) and thus the easiest to get new and old players into. But having the opportunity, I'd much rather see basically any other TSR setting made into a game than FR, it's been done to death. And to top that, it's the damn Bore Coast again, gah.

I'm just sad.

Then again, I'm happy to have more RPGs, IF this game proves to be a good one.

Very excited about this! Anything new in the D&D world is great for me, as long as it's an RPG. Bonus points for having RTwP combat! :)

Hey everybody has to start somewhere. When you have little experience or funding of your own, you have to make what the publishers ask you to.

My only disappointment so far is that it apparently has real-time with pause combat. I would much prefer turn-based tactical combat to "poor man's turn-based", but I can't always get everything I want.

But whyyyyyyyy Forgotten Realms again?

Don't answer, I know all too well how it's the most popular (read: shallow, run-of-the-mill high fantasy setting anyone could have come up with) and thus the easiest to get new and old players into. But having the opportunity, I'd much rather see basically any other TSR setting made into a game than FR, it's been done to death. And to top that, it's the damn Bore Coast again, gah.

I'm just sad.

Then again, I'm happy to have more RPGs, IF this game proves to be a good one.

I think you're thinking of Dragonlance. At least Forgotten Realms has a fantasy version of Asia (Kara-Tur)... of course we'll likely never see that in a CRPG, but it's there.

I get what you're saying though and I don't entirely disagree. I would love for someone to make a new "Dark Sun" game, hell or "Al Quadim", Ravenloft, or Spelljammer, even.. but those settings have all been nearly forgotten, so no one is going to pay for the rights to make one, it seems.

In another thread I went onto detail so won't repeat all of it, but this project is something I'd never even backed on Kickstarter if it came as a fresh indie idea nor will ever buy it.
Sorry.
Yes Joxer we all know how you feel about the Neverwinter games. It should be quite obvious this game is heavily influenced by that game series.

I wish they would announce who the other members of the team are.
Very excited about this! Anything new in the D&D world is great for me, as long as it's an RPG. Bonus points for having RTwP combat! :)
I agree Fluent but I'm afraid of being disappointed by another inferior D&D game. As the last couple of games were nothing to be proud of especially Daggerdale.
Hey everybody has to start somewhere. When you have little experience or funding of your own, you have to make what the publishers ask you to.
Yes some gamers don't understand you have to pay your bills, and make a living. Seems they finally got the chance to make a game they wanted to finally.

Couch, I don't think I've ever played an inferior D&D game! As you know I enjoyed Daggerdale a lot, playing couch co-op with my dad. We also had fun with Dark Alliance on the consoles, and a few other great co-op, hack n' slash D&D games.

I have high hopes for this one. RTwP combat, designed by a DA:O lead designer, etc. It's very promising thus far.

Back
Top Bottom