Grimoire - Latest Update

Corwin

On The Razorblade of Life
Staff Member
For all of the hoards eagerly awaiting the latest news on this legendary game here's what's happening straight from the top.
I made a spot fix to the spell casting engine and it fixed a bug that kept cropping up in cloud effects, chest traps and grab attacks all at once. It was two lines of code I added innocently about a year ago to keep the PC’s combat orders updated according to the outcome of a magic spell.
Found some more places that needed work, a bit barren, also found a few logical glitches that could prevent the player from completing an area if not repaired.
Otherwise, looking solid. Playable but not finished yet. I am already realistically accepting I will need at least two months to address everything I have discovered during the walkthrough, particularly in filling areas out using my notes. Some of the things can be patched very quickly, other areas will take several hours to complete. Things like empty barrels and crates can be fixed in a single day’s work with the right data.
I was looking for more notes related to Grimoire and found a folder filled with maybe 800 pages of ideas I wanted to put into the game … things like a magic chest that fills a room with water when it is opened. Bits and pieces like that.
More information.

Playable but not finished yet.

That quote alone is going to result in a rage storm of hate on the net.

Hmmm interesting, I liked what I played before.

I'm going to play if he does finish it.

crates and barrels? bah, I hate those with a passion. Instead of wasting time filling them, just remove them all!

I'll believe it when I see it, but as I'm a latecomer to the whole Grimoire saga I guess I still have optimism left to crush.

Here's my worry.... after all this time, the game comes out, and sells... oh, I dunno, a thousand copies. About 1/4th of what Vogel normally does with an established fanbase within a year or so after release. Is this just gonna crush him? I mean, there's definitely a point of diminishing returns, and it seems like he's created this really epic, really incredible old-school game where the effort has vastly exceeded it's potential return. It's like... Stonekeep, all over again.

Or The Omega Syndrome, for those who remember that one.

Remember, that Cleve has a full time job and games are little more than a hobby for him now. I think he's probably tired of Grimoire right now, but knows he needs to finish it and get it out. Believe me, it IS a great and FUN game with heaps and heaps of Old Skule goodness.

That's what I keep hearing, so I'm pretty excited about it. And I truly empathize with his situation... ;)

If this is fer realz... well, 2011 is shaping up to be one heck of a year for indie RPGs. The western-style PC RPGs rise again!

Here's my worry…. after all this time, the game comes out, and sells… oh, I dunno, a thousand copies.
If that's the case he'll be in some very good company. But who knows, maybe he won't charge for it at all.

I think he does plan to charge for the game, but I doubt he expects to make any money out of it. Last time I talked with him he hoped that his later games (which should take less time to finish eh Jay :) ) would at least pay for themselves!!

"Later games" yikes! Much later I guess. I don't even want to think about that. On the other hand "Much Later Games" would be a cool name for his studio ;)

much too late games...... would be a more fitting name I suppose. BTW Duke Nukem forever is being released this year.........

I just love how his website still says "Release Fall 2010". Release date drama aside, I'm still very much looking forward to the game, and I'd still gladly pay for it when it's finally released, provided that the game is polished enough (but judging by what I've read from Cleve's site so far, it looks like it will be released in relatively bug-free state. He took his time to make sure of that :lol:)

I'm in. Looked at the screen shots and it looks like Might and Magic 1/2 with contemporary sensibilities. And I too. will pay for this game.

I'm in. Looked at the screen shots and it looks like Might and Magic 1/2 with contemporary sensibilities. And I too. will pay for this game.

Me too. If he ever going to release it of course. He must be a real perfectionalist.

Back
Top Bottom