KoA: Reckoning - Release PR, DLC1 and 2 and Accessing Bonus Items

Dhruin

SasqWatch
A handful of Reckoning items before we get into the reviews.
Guenthar points out two videos at AnalogHype that apparently show the opening cinematics for the first two Reckoning DLCs (not including the free-with-purchase House of Valor). It appears fans have linked the videos wth appropriate lore to explain the content but we'll have to see how accurate this is:
DLC 1 seems to take the Fateless One (the player) into the Sea of Secrets, a place riddled with many “spooky stories” that travelers tended to avoid. There is said to be “whispers of the gods” within the “ephemeral, shifting light”, called the Southern Glimmer, that blanketed itself over the Sea of Secrets.
Apparently there is some confusion over accessing preorder items, so the official forum has an explanation.
...And the official release press release with more details on the House of Valor DLC:
EA and 38 Studios Ship One of the Highly Anticipated Videogames of 2012 - Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning

EA and 38 studios also revealed today House of Valor, a digital download pack* that extends the Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning story giving players seven exclusive quests. The Grand Champion Tyr Magnus will challenge players to compete in the Valor Arena and overcome all obstacles to survive the barbaric tournament and ultimately seize control of the arena. As the player battles through the Valor Arena, they will meet new companions and rivals along the way. In addition, players can visit the Arena Battle Board to access a nearly endless variety of combat challenges. By completing bonus objectives in these challenges, like defeating all enemies without taking any damage, players can earn unique items and other rewards. House of Valor is available with a non-transferable one-time -use registration code that accompanies the new, full retail purchase Players that do not have a code can purchase a Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning Online Pass for 800 Microsoft Points on Xbox®LIVE Marketplace and $9.99 on the PlayStation®Network.
PROVIDENCE, R.I.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Choose your destiny in the massive and mysterious world of Amalur! Electronic Arts Inc. (NASDAQ:EA), 38 Studios, LLC and Big Huge Games today released the much anticipated open-world action role-playing game, Kingdoms of Amalur™: Reckoning™. The game’s vision was brought to life by 24-time New York Times bestselling author R.A. Salvatore, Spawn creator Todd McFarlane, and internationally-celebrated game designer Ken Rolston – an all-star team assembled by three-time World Series Champion pitcher and founder of 38 Studios, Curt Schilling. This original intellectual property breaks new ground by melding a deep open-world RPG experience with visceral action combat that offers players millions of combinations of moves, weapons and armor in a completely unique experience for every individual. IGN.com, who awarded the game with a 9 out of 10 review score, anticipates "Reckoning will be discussed when Game of the Year 2012 rolls around," adding that it "certainly isn't a game you should sleep on. Quite the contrary: Amalur demands your attention." The UK's The Guardian added "Reckoning sounds like just the kind of start to 2012 RPG fans were hoping for."
Starting Today, Players Will Discover the Rich and Remarkable World of Amalur and Enter Hallowed Ancient Grounds with the Downloadable ‘House of Valor’ Pack

More information.

It has been confirmed that the House of Valor is already part of the game and for the PC version there is no download needed for it. With the console versions there is a 35MB download to get it but since it is a small download like that it is probably just something to unblock the content. (with the resources including voice files needed it would have been much larger otherwise)

PS. I just got the game and am enjoying it so far and it looks like the videos for the upcoming dlc are part of the game and are in the folder where the rest of the videos are.

35mb to unlock something is actually quite big...

I'm not sure what that 35MB download has and it could be anything but the PC retail version doesn't even need the download and is unlocked after putting the code in.

I'm not sure what that 35MB download has and it could be anything but the PC retail version doesn't even need the download and is unlocked after putting the code in.

PC Retail version is installed through Origin, it's quite possible it downloaded something of the web while installing. The BF3 installation did it.

I doubt it, I'm on dial-up and I would have noticed even something as small as 35mb being downloaded during my install. Except for updating Origin (before installing the game) and then activating the game there was no data transfer.

This is good news too, I was wondering why I had no actual code to enter for House of Valor...even though the little card that came with the game said I should have one and needed to enter it.

It is just the code for activating the game so if you activated the game and are playing then you have the House of Valor. The only thing so far that will show up in the downloadable content section is preorder dlc.

I got my copy from Amazon and it failed to launch. I have a slow DSL connection, so I won't get to play until tonight, at the earliest. I'm downloading direct from Origin this time....

Back
Top Bottom